correct phrase

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 03:31 am
1. Part of the reason for the company's going bankrupt is incompetence of the staff.

2. One of the reasons for the company's going bankrupt is incompetence of the staff.

Are both sentences correct?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 888 • Replies: 18
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 04:06 am
Re: correct phrase
Yoong Liat wrote:
1. Part of the reason for the company's going bankrupt is incompetence of the staff.

2. One of the reasons for the company's going bankrupt is incompetence of the staff.

Many thanks.

Yes, I believe so.

However, I would say "THE incompetence of the staff" in both sentences, and I think the second is preferable.
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 04:29 am
the grammar is as nothing compared with the phraseology, as ever, yours '
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 05:55 am
Part of the reason for the company's going bankrupt is incompetence of the staff.

Part of the reason for the company's bankruptcy is the incompetence of the staff.
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 12:07 am
Yoong Liat wrote:

Many thanks.

Neither 1. nor 2. is correct. If you refer to the plural then it is companies. Company's don't own 'going bankrupt' so an inverted comma is inappropriate, muchly like my posts.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 02:30 am
solipsister wrote:
Yoong Liat wrote:

Many thanks.

Neither 1. nor 2. is correct. If you refer to the plural then it is companies. Company's don't own 'going bankrupt' so an inverted comma is inappropriate, muchly like my posts.

I look forward to his visiting me. (I think this sentence is fine although visiting doesn't belong to him. So ... the company's going bankrupt is fine too.

The other members didn't comment abou this, so let's hear from other members.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 03:42 am
solipsister wrote:
Yoong Liat wrote:

Many thanks.

This is incorrect. Please ignore.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 05:30 am
Thanks, Mc Tag.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 05:45 am
I think solip may have a point (except that he/she should have refered to an apostrophe). The original sentence should not have used "company's".

Part of the reason for the company going bankrupt is incompetence of the staff.

The bankruptcy does however belong to the company. so an apostrophy is in order

I have refined your sentence into a simpler form. It is generally better to say things in the simplest possible form.

Part of the reason for the company's bankruptcy is staff incompetence.

As to the original question I dont think there is a definitive answer. Both forms can be correct. I would lean toward "one of the reasons" as there are usually several reasons for a bankruptcy. Down turn in sales, poor quality product, inefective marketing, lack of cost control. all these things could be affected by staff incompetence.

I would however not defend this opinion rigorously. As is often the case either form is perfectly understandable to the average person.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 07:49 am
Thanks. Dadpad.

I've always thought 'One of the reasons ..."

There is usually more than one reason. I don't understand why there is only one reason and it is divided into parts.

Therefore 'Part of the reason ... ' appears illogical to me.

Regards
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 07:56 am
dadpad wrote:
I think solip may have a point (except that he/she should have refered to an apostrophe). The original sentence should not have used "company's".

This is wrong too. (sorry, dp)

Please ignore.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 08:04 am
Hi Mc Tag

It would appear that my question is difficult. I don't understand why.

Will you take Dadpad to court?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 09:28 am
My court sits in camera, that is, the meetings are held in private.

Justice is impartial, and that is why she is shown wearing a blindfold.

Smile

Your question is not difficult. Both sentences are acceptable, although of course they mean slightly different things (one of the reasons/ part of the reason)
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 12:48 pm
It's a very picky rule, but one does use the possessive (here marked by the apostrophes in the original sentences) in front of the gerund phrase which is used as a noun.

Someone is teaching very formal written English. If one speaks these sentences, I wouldn't advise using "company's," because it would sound highfalutin' and hokey.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 06:46 am
"Hokey"... that's a real book larnin' type of word round your neck of the woods, eh, Miklos?
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 07:05 am
Hi Contrex and Miklos7

What language are both of you using? I cannot understand what the exchange is about?
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 07:41 am
Yoong Liat,

Instead of "highfalutin" or "hokey," read "unnecessarily complex." Generally, friendly speech is less formal in structure than written language. Therefore, when you take a really picky form from written language and use it in speaking, you may sound overly formal--a quality that often interferes with effective spoken communication.

Contrex,

Yes, it's strange, but "hokey" is common here--although probably not in Portland, our largest city and a youth magnet. But then a lot of strange vocabulary is in use here in the boondocks. Maine has a older population than most states; therefore, vocabulary of other times can persist.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 07:43 am
I was using US vernacular (slang) to mock Miklos' use of the word "hokey", itself a slang word mostly used by US AmE speakers.

Quote:

1. hokey - effusively or insincerely emotional; "a bathetic novel"; "maudlin expressions of sympathy"; "mushy effusiveness"; "a schmaltzy song"; "sentimental soap operas"; "slushy poetry"

kitschy, maudlin, mawkish, schmaltzy, schmalzy, bathetic, sentimental, slushy, soppy, soupy, mushy, drippy

emotional - of more than usual emotion; "his behavior was highly emotional"

2. hokey - artificially formal; "that artificial humility that her husband hated"; "contrived coyness"; "a stilted letter of acknowledgment"; "when people try to correct their speech they develop a stilted pronunciation"

stilted, artificial, contrived

I suspect that Miklos intended to convey the second of these meanings.
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 05:13 am
On the other hand, we should be allowed the freedom to bloviate now and then.
0 Replies