Illegal to kill dead animals...who would have

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 09:29 pm
I've bolded the funny parts.

Aylmer Meat Packers Inc. is under investigation for "possible offences involving the illegal processing of deadstock" - animals that died before slaughter.

'Deadstock' focus of meat probe
Health ministry memo sheds light on investigation
Illegal to process animals that die before slaughter

RICHARD BRENNAN AND ROBERT CRIBB
STAFF REPORTERS

An Aylmer meat packing plant was shut down by the provincial government because of an investigation into "illegal processing" of dead animals, the Star has learned.

Provincial and federal inspection agencies have not publicly revealed why Aylmer Meat Packers Inc. has been closed and all its beef products have been recalled, as of Monday.

But a memo from the provincial health ministry to all medical officers of health in Ontario, obtained by the Star, said the abattoir's licence has been suspended "as a result of an ongoing investigation related to possible offences involving the illegal processing of deadstock."

"Deadstock" are animals that die before slaughter, either in the field, or in transit, often due to illness.

The provincial Deadstock Disposal Act prohibits the processing or sale of meat from dead animals."If an animal were dead, you can't observe its behaviour and a lot of diseases cannot be identified that easily by inspecting a carcass, for instance. They really do require an examination of the animal in a living state to be able to check for a neurological problems or what have you."

Mansel Griffiths, a microbiologist and director of the Canadian Research Institute for Food Safety, said "it's a really bad idea" to slaughter dead animals

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 767 • Replies: 6
No top replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 10:07 pm
Message on the side of a brown cardboard box outside of Washakie commons at U of Wyoming in the 1980s:
Hamburger, Low Grade but Edible Under Certain Conditions

Very Happy
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 10:18 pm
It's an eye catching headline, but the story makes sense.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 10:18 pm
Call me deadly dull - but I can't see why, except linguistically, it is funny.

It just makes good sense to me.

God knows how dead the poor creatures my cat eats were before they died, though!
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 10:21 pm
Remember, its not decomposition...its seasoning! Smile
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 08:46 am
C'mon this is the funniest thing I've read all week and no Laughing 's?

^#^$%&^#$&@%^@4352345 !

kill: to make dead
slaughter: to make dead
killed animal = dead animal

Therefore, slaughtering dead animals = making dead animals dead.

It makes no sense... DON'T KILL THE DEAD ANIMALS! IT'S ILLEGAL! AND FURTHERMORE, DON'T SELL MEAT FROM DEAD ANIMALS!

AND DON'T TRY TO OBSERVE THE BEHAVIOUR OF DEAD ANIMALS...

Maybe I should get out of the lab every now and then. hah.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 10:40 am
what exactly do you inhale in that lab?

:wink:

it's an oddity. maybe it's a canajun thing. I sent an email to pulse24 last week about something on their site about someone being murdered after their body was found in the lake. uhhhhh. wasn't he already dead? why, yes he was.
0 Replies