Another Title Related Grammar Question

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 04:26 pm
I am writing an article on a certain part of the aquarium hobby, entitled "Ethical Factors Of Non-Euthanasic Fish Killing".

I have two questions here:

First, is "Non-Euthanasic" properly hyphenated, or should it be two separate words?

Second, if it/they are hyphenated, would both the N and the E be capitalized?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,043 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 01:29 am
Harmonic, Non-Euthanasic and Non Euthanasic are both wrong. Noneuthanasic is correct. According to Webster's and the Chicago Manual of Style, prefixes are linked without hyphens or space in most situations. An exception would be if the second part of the compound expression were a proper noun. If "euthanasic" is a proper noun, then the correct approach for the heading would be Non-Euthanasic.

Also, I'd lowercase the O in "Of."

If you're preparing the article for publication, the style of the publishing house will determine hyphenation and capitalization in headings.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 04:48 pm
Also, "non" is a prefix in English -- it would never stand alone.

It is a word in Latin, and is found in Latin phrasis like "non compos mentis," but it isn't an English word...
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 07:24 pm
Listen to Auntie Roboita. She knows whereof she speaks.

PS -- 'non' is also French, as well as Latin, but in English she's-a allus a prefixture.
0 Replies

harmonic

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 10:30 pm
Ok, thanks! Very Happy

I am foremost an aquarium hobbyist. Recently, though, I've developed near as much interest in writing about the hobby as the hobby itself.

Now I'm wishing I had taken advantage of our free public school system. Rolling Eyes

Thanks for your help!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 01:37 am
Harmonic, Glad to help. Good luck with the article.
0 Replies