Sounds like a Republican after my heart ...

nimh

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 04:14 pm
Any of you know more about this?

nimh

Quote:
Eyes on the Prize
by Peter Beinart

Post date 08.29.03 | Issue date 09.08.03

he park service no longer counts crowds on the National Mall. And, for the organizers of the fortieth anniversary of the March on Washington, that's a good thing, because last week's turnout was miserable. In 1983, the march's twentieth anniversary drew 250,000. The thirtieth garnered 75,000. And this year? Twenty thousand, at best.

Why the diminishing interest? Perhaps because, in arguably the most important civil rights battle of the year, the civil rights groups are awol. That battle, contrary to what one might assume from the speakers at the march, isn't being fought in Iraq; it's being fought in Alabama. And it's not being led by Kweisi Mfume or Jesse Jackson; it's being led by a conservative Republican named Bob Riley.

Riley is that rarest of creatures: A genuinely inspiring politician. As a member of the House of Representatives, his hard-right instincts won him annual commendations from Grover Norquist's fanatically anti-tax group, Americans for Tax Reform. But, when he took over this year as Alabama governor, he encountered three ideologically discomforting truths about his state's tax system. First, it wasn't producing enough revenue to balance the budget, as the state constitution required. Second, it wasn't producing enough revenue to guarantee even a minimally adequate education for Alabama's children. Third, it fell largely on the poor.

In other words, Alabama has the kind of tax system Norquist wants for the United States. The state constitution, rewritten in 1901 at the behest of timber and cotton interests, largely exempts Alabama's extractive industries from property taxes. As a result, while timber companies own 71 percent of the state's land, they pay less than 2 percent of its property taxes. So how does Alabama make up for this lack of revenue? Partly, it doesn't: Its schools are the worst funded in the country, and last year the state tied for last in national writing tests. Partly, it taxes the poor. In most states, state income taxes kick in at around $18,000. In Alabama, they kick in at a breathtaking $4,600--or about one-fourth of the poverty line for a family of four. The state collects the majority of its revenue through highly regressive sales taxes; in some counties, the tax on groceries reaches 11 percent. A study by the liberal Citizens for Tax Justice found that, while the poorest one-fifth of Alabamians pay more than 10 percent of their income in taxes, the wealthiest 1 percent pay less than 4 percent.

Riley is trying to change this. He wants to exempt families below the poverty line from state income taxes while boosting property and state income taxes for the wealthy. As a result, the poorest two-thirds of Alabamians would see their taxes hold steady or go down. The wealthiest one-third would pay more, although still less than in most states. Riley's plan would bring in enough new revenue to balance the budget. It would also fund an intensive K-6 reading initiative, a salary boost for teachers willing to work in the worst schools, and college scholarships for high school seniors with good grades and test scores. In return for the new money, Riley has convinced Alabama's teachers' unions to scrap tenure for all new hires, giving principals far more authority to fire bad teachers. As Buddy Bell, minister at Landmark Church of Christ in Montgomery, recently told the Montgomery Advertiser, "This is the most courageous thing I have ever seen a governor do."

There's just one problem: To get his plan passed, Riley has to amend the Alabama constitution, which requires a statewide vote, set for September 9. And recent polls suggest the vote will be no. One reason is that Alabamians just viscerally loathe taxes. According to the Alabama Association of School Boards, since 1988 voters in various counties have rejected 57 of the 91 proposed property tax increases for schools. Another reason is that the plan's opponents, funded largely by--surprise!--big timber and agricultural interests, have raised three times as much as its supporters. National GOP groups have joined in as well. Norquist recently told The Washington Post he would make Riley "the poster child for Republicans who go bad. I want every conservative Republican elected official in the United States to watch Bob Riley lose and learn from it."

But there's one more reason the plan is behind in the polls: National civil rights groups have barely lifted a finger for it. Riley's plan would arguably do more for black and poor Alabamians than anything since the civil rights era. And yet, as far as I can tell, it received not a single mention at last week's anniversary March on Washington. You won't find any reference to it on the naacp's website. In fact, the only prominent African American who has publically announced a trip to Alabama to support the initiative is "American Idol" winner Ruben Studdard.

Capitalizing on that indifference, Norquist and company have turned many black Alabamians against Riley's plan. An ad on black radio features a man warning, "Our property taxes could go up as much as fo' hundred percent" (400 percent sounds like a lot, but Alabama's property taxes are so low that the average homeowner would pay only $94 more per year, a sum that Riley's plan more than counteracts with state income tax cuts and increased federal income tax deductions). Some have suggested that Alabama's black leaders are sitting on their hands because Riley vetoed a bill to restore voting rights to ex-felons. A recent Birmingham News poll found black voters split on the plan and voters earning less than $30,000 strongly against it.

A national effort by civil rights organizations could change that. The naacp and the Urban League, not to mention the Democratic Party, should be sending college students to Montgomery and Birmingham by the busloads. Al Sharpton, Jackson, and Mfume should be taking up residence in the state. Alabama GOP Chairman Marty Connors recently told The Washington Post that, "If this can pass in Alabama, it could be a precedent to attempt it elsewhere." And he's absolutely right. Riley, who couches his reforms in biblical language about the obligation to "take care of the least among us," is one of the few white politicians in recent history to try to use religion on behalf of social justice. He's won significant white evangelical backing, and, if his plan passes, it could upend conventional wisdom about what is politically, and morally, possible in the South. A conservative white Republican has thrown down the gauntlet to the supposed custodians of Dr. King's dream: Speak now or forever hold your peace.

Peter Beinart is the editor of TNR.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 897 • Replies: 10
No top replies

fishin

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 04:46 pm
This is the first I'd heard of it. Sounds like an interesting twist with regard to who is supporting and who isn't here. Sounds like politics trumps the actual benefit of the people once again. Can't have those civil rights groups supporting something proposed by a Republican. Wink
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 06:03 pm
AMAZING!!! fishin' is right. I wonder if the blacks and low income Alabamans being used by the opposition (timber and Democrats) realize they have the ability to get out from under the tax burden... So many times, a sound bite or term (Republican) is enough to close a mind like a steel trap.

Thanks for the story on Riley. I hadn't heard of him, either. With so many negative stories about party leaders, this is a reason to smile. Hope he can get his message out. I hope he will be one to step out of the crowd and share his ideas.

And...that damn Norquist! I'm sending Riley AND Norquist a letter!!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 06:16 pm
Heh. I knew you'd like this news sample. Sometimes a copy 'n' paste is OK, huh?

I found a second article on this (by chance, i didnt google) - i'm only halfway yet: Divine Right.

Its from the 'american prospect', its not as sharply rhetorical as the TNR one (every TNR article seems to be sharply rhetorical). Its also not as eye-opening. but its got some more interesting details. The story is written from the same kinda (surprised-liberal) angle, noting:

Quote:
But in a place where plenty of people ask, "What would Jesus do?" a surprising number of religious conservatives have concluded that redistributing wealth is high on His list.

- or (just to make the 'jeez-this-is-pleasantly-unexpected!' case better still):

Quote:
"Susan is right on this issue," says Frank Thielman, a New Testament scholar whom Hamill calls one of Beeson's "super-size" conservatives. "The Bible's on the side of the poor. Jesus is on the side of the poor. I don't want to be caught on the other side."

But the story also does have a lot more informative background on the story.

In the meantime, as European, I'm also flabbergasted - unpleasantly - that any State, even if it is Alabama, has the kind of tax system where the poorest pay 10% and the richest only 4%, in the first place. Shocked

Or that:
Quote:
Half the poor in Alabama are black. Many live in a swath of rural counties where the poverty rate is around 40 percent, illiteracy is rampant and life expectancy is on a par with villages in El Salvador.

(Mind you, this article is written by someone connected to the Democratic Party. In fact, thinking about it, a new turn of Southern, conservative Christians towards passionate concern for the poor would create a conservative-social, communitarian agenda that could suit the Democrats extemely well, in the long run even giving them the chance to win back their traditional heartlands of the South - question mark?)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 07:54 pm
I'm not so sure the core of the Democratic party really cares about "the poor". They pay the poor a lot of lip service and the continued feined pushing of programs for the poor provide a bit or moral high ground but when the programs are disected and the actual interaction of the party leadership with the poor are examined it looks like they only want the poor to get something. As long as the poor are getting a check of some sort they can continue to keep them convinced that they should cast their votes for Democrats running for office but as soon as one of those poor folk speak up and start asking questions of the party they are told to shut up and tow the party line or else.

The national objective seems to be to keep the poor treading water at the poverty level and never let them rise above it for to long.

The main body of the Dem Party is also pretty eager to label anyone that has any sort of religious belief as "Right-wing religious zealots" (read the threads right here on A2K for a taste of that! lol). While the party leadership only wants the poor to vote their way the middle income Democratic Party faithful look upon them with scorn and derision.

That's hardly a welcome invitation to the party. It's all a pretty sad commentary on the state of political affairs here in the US.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 10:43 am
nimh - Interesting article. Riley sounds like he's trying to do the right thing.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 06:10 am
Alabama Governor Bob Riley is under threat... and from whom. :-(

0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 06:21 am
I hope that Riley beats Moore and I hope that he gets his plan passed; it sounds like a good one regardless of which side of isle he is on.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 06:28 am
fishin' wrote:
I'm not so sure the core of the Democratic party really cares about "the poor". They pay the poor a lot of lip service and the continued feined pushing of programs for the poor provide a bit or moral high ground but when the programs are disected and the actual interaction of the party leadership with the poor are examined it looks like they only want the poor to get something. As long as the poor are getting a check of some sort they can continue to keep them convinced that they should cast their votes for Democrats running for office but as soon as one of those poor folk speak up and start asking questions of the party they are told to shut up and tow the party line or else.

The national objective seems to be to keep the poor treading water at the poverty level and never let them rise above it for to long.

The main body of the Dem Party is also pretty eager to label anyone that has any sort of religious belief as "Right-wing religious zealots" (read the threads right here on A2K for a taste of that! lol). While the party leadership only wants the poor to vote their way the middle income Democratic Party faithful look upon them with scorn and derision.

That's hardly a welcome invitation to the party. It's all a pretty sad commentary on the state of political affairs here in the US.

no one in positions of great power give a rats ass about the poor or anyone but themselves. Face it. There's your bi-partisanship in action.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 10:30 am
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 06:18 am
nimh

There is another way we might think about this re-emergence of Moore as a political figure.

Republican dominance of the Presidency and both houses has been achieved through various means, but likely the most critical of these has been the purposive sublimation of diversity. One might label it 'co-operation' or 'strategic alliance' but such a term/conception disguises the great weakness of the present Republican machine.

The Miers nomination demonstrates the fragility of the alliance achieved over the last several decades between the various interest groups which make up the New Right. Certainly, had not so much else been going terribly wrong for the Bush administration, then this Miers fight would be less acute and less public. But those things have gone wrong and seem certain to continue in the same direction.

Almost no one seems much in agreement regarding this nomination. The neoconservative crowd are up in arms protesting in print and on TV for their own set of reasons, the radical christian groups are pounding on their bibles for quite different reasons, the Bush inner circle seems to think the appointment grand because it is an inner circle appointment, and likely the Rumsfeld/Pentagon crowd think it dandy given Miers' certain support for all things militant, secretive and police-state leaning.

What's new, of course, is how public this fight has become and how it serves to bring into view the other areas of divergent view/interest which were previously kept out of sight.

For those of us who think this New Right creature is a most disagreeable and dangerous bastardization of American values and creed, any and all forces working to tear it apart are most welcome indeed.

One very real prospect (Rove actively worked before the last two elections to suppress any chance of this happening) is the fomentation for, and formation of, a specifically religious party. Such an eventuality would cripple the Republican domination. And Moore is a prime fellow to be pushed to the front of any such splinter crowd.

I cannot think of a better prospect for the continuation of democracy (such as it is) in America. Just as in Israel, the radical religious group's achieved power in the political system of the US has made the country less diverse, less free, less rational, and more militantly arrogant and frictive to the rest of the world.
0 Replies