What does the New Yorker do?

fansy

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 08:54 am
Quote:
The New Yorker, buoyed by staff writers such as Malcolm Gladwell, James Surowiecki and Louis Menand, has developed a reputation for helping to explain complex ideas to a lay audience. In 2000, The New York Times even inaugurated an annual "ideas of the year" supplement, handing out gongs to the best new ideas around the world.

Does it mean it gives the noise-making musical instrument to ...?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 462 • Replies: 9
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 09:02 am
Here, "gong" is a slang word for "medal".
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 09:32 am
Why are they writing about the New Yorker and The New York Times as if they were related entities?

Who wrote those sentences? Their origin/location might help determine what they meant by "gong".

In the U.S. there was something called The Gong Show on the t.v. some years ago - being gonged meant being asked to leave the stage as the act was so bad.

~~~

ahh, here is the 2005 New York Times Annual Year in Ideas (whoever you quoted needs to work on getting their details right)

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/11/magazine/11ideas1-1.html

from the introduction

Quote:
This issue marks the fifth anniversary of what is becoming a venerable tradition at the magazine: The Year in Ideas. As always, we seek to gain some perspective on what has transpired since January by compiling a digest of the most noteworthy ideas of the past 12 months. Like the biographer Lytton Strachey surveying the Victorian Age, we row out over the great ocean of accomplishment and lower into it a little bucket, which brings up to the light characteristic specimens from the various depths of the intellectual sea - ideas from politics and science, medicine and law, popcorn studies and camel racing. Once we have thrown back all the innovations that don't meet our exacting standards, we find ourselves with the following alphabetical catch: 78 notions, big and small, grand and petty, serious and silly, ingenious and. . . well, whatever you call it when you tattoo an advertisement on your forehead for money.

Which idea from this year's issue is your favorite?

These are the ideas that, for better and worse, helped make 2005 what it was.

In context, "gonged" seems to suggest "identified", not necessarily good or bad.

a link to the 2005 Annual Year in Ideas supplement
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 10:05 am
ehBeth wrote:
In context, "gonged" seems to suggest "identified", not necessarily good or bad.

But it's not "gonged", (a verb) its...

Quote:
handing out gongs to the best new ideas around the world

I stand by my medal theory, although I'm not sure quite how you hand a gong to an idea...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 11:11 am
Yes, I know what was quoted. It is badly written.

I had hoped that providing context would help fansy.
0 Replies

SULLYFISH66

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 06:10 pm
It simply means an award of some kind.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 06:59 pm
Receiving an award for having a silly or petty idea seems odd.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 07:09 pm
Both the New Yorker and the New York Times are communication packages which have various virtues and flaws, and, as ehBeth mentioned, are different entities. I like them both to some degree, especially treasuring the New Yorker through thick and thin over the years, but even I read much more widely to get a clue or/and relate to much more varied views, indeed opposite takes on some matters.

Gong, just a word used to cause attention to a choice.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 03:26 am
ehBeth wrote:

Yes it does, especially since the article says this

Quote:
handing out gongs to the best new ideas around the world.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 11:30 am
contrex wrote:
ehBeth wrote:

Yes it does, especially since the article says this

Quote:
handing out gongs to the best new ideas around the world.

As I said earlier, the original quote is badly written.
0 Replies