what is a romantic relationship?

rockpie

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 06:19 am
just curious as to what different people would define a romantic relationship as.

and also, does love last? can you be truly happy on your own? what would your perfect partner be like?

basically justtalk about anything to do with love, marriage, etc.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 13,021 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Miller

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 10:55 am
Have you sent an e-mail to Eliot Spitzer?
Laughing
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 12:26 pm
Re: what is a romantic relationship?
rockpie wrote:
just curious as to what different people would define a romantic relationship as.

I'm in a romantic relationship with my husband. We do nice things for each other that often leads to sex. Sometimes we just hold hands. Sometimes he brings me trinkets he think will make me happy. Sometimes I drive long distances to get him his favorite ice cream flavor. He snaps my bra strap when he's impatient and wants to go home from a party. I rub his inner thigh when we at a bad movie and I'm getting bored. These are not things you do with just a friend.

rockpie wrote:
and also, does love last?

In a successful relationship love lasts and evolves. It may not be the hot passion of the first few years, but the respect, caring, and consideration get stronger as the years go on.

rockpie wrote:
can you be truly happy on your own?

Sure, if a person is comfortable with who they are and they have friends and family for love, I don't think they need a full time, live in mate.

rockpie wrote:
what would your perfect partner be like?

In general, I think the "perfect partner" is someone who knows the best and worst about you and still loves you. S/he seeks to support you and make you feel good about yourself. S/he does not look to change you, but rather inspires you to be the best you can be. The perfect partner would share some of your interests, get your jokes, defend you when need the help, keep quite when you don't, and not let you walk out of the house with oatmeal in your beard or your skirt stuck in your pantyhose.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 12:37 pm
prelude to disappointment...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 12:56 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
prelude to disappointment...

That sounds about right.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 01:02 pm
I have always known I'm in a romantic relationship when a man looks at me and says, "Come with me to the Casba"

I guess I've never been in a romantic relationship
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 01:06 pm
Chai wrote:
I have always known I'm in a romantic relationship when a man looks at me and says, "Come with me to the Casba"

I guess I've never been in a romantic relationship

I'm going to PM Mr.Tea and tell him to take you that Casba tonight...
I'm only giving you advance notice so you can have your veils and belly button ring ready.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 01:08 pm
and bathe....
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 01:18 pm
I'll need some glitter for my washrag.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 04:24 pm
One where neither party falls into the trap of 'being comfortable', which to me is another phrase for 'not going the extra mile anymore'
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 03:08 am
Re: what is a romantic relationship?
[quote="rockpie"]just curious as to what different people would define a romantic relationship as.[/quote]

A relationship with romance... Laughing
Amids the normal every day life: Some flowers, a love letter, a surprise dinner, something special, something unexpected...

[quote="rockpie"]and also, does love last? [/quote]

Many say so, for me it has lasted for nearly seven years now, and no end in sight.
My husband picked me up from the airport recently, and admitted, that he had butterflies in his stomach, while he waited.
Is that romantic or what?
And I was only gone for a week!

[quote="rockpie"]can you be truly happy on your own? [/quote]

I was very happy on my own, but I am just as happy now!

[quote="rockpie"]what would your perfect partner be like? [/quote]

Funny and caring
Honest and understanding
Easy and sincere

I have found him already!
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 08:44 am
A romantic relationship is taking her to a pool suite in Northbrook, where you throw Taylor Dane's Greatest Hits in the CD player, a Tombstone pizza in the oven, and a Duraflame log in the fireplace (unless it's gas). Recite poetry to her (the more "olden day sounding" the better, believe me) as she slides down the mini-slide pool suites usually have and into your arms. Remember to bring your Speedo.

A romantic relationship also involves not telling her what is bothering you the morning after she fell asleep before you made love to her. The best thing is to just generally be mean until you feel better.

Finally, a true romantic couple ALWAYS makes out on the bus.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 08:55 am
Chai wrote:

A2K inside joke . . .
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 09:03 am
Setanta wrote:
Chai wrote:

A2K inside joke . . .

Ha-ha. I remember (it involves Shewolf I believe).
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 09:06 am
A romantic relationship is waking up in the morning knowing the person next to you remembers your name, knows how it came to pass that he/she is next to you, and is not anxious for you to leave.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 09:12 am
Had a few bad dates?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 09:14 am
nope, not me.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 09:24 am
Setanta wrote:
Had a few bad dates?

Actually, this came up in a class I'm taking on Thomas Merton of all people. The discussion turned to the general topic of male vs female interpretations of romance. The consensus was that most woman have primarily romantic relationship as defined above, and most men (particularly men less than 30) do not.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 09:26 am
Thomas Merton ? ! ? ! ?

I don't even want to know.

Does the goofy conclusion mean to claim that men (especially those under 30--what, 30 days sober? 30 hours?) don't have romantic relationships at all, or simply that they don't have romantic relationships of that type? That's one of those meaningless statements which has no meaning because one can choose to define romantic in a variety of ways.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 09:33 am
no, not that they don't have them at all but that they are more interested in one night stands than women. Of course it's a generalization and stereotype.
0 Replies