So Mo has a girlfriend....

George

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 07:36 am
Sounds like "the talk" is in order.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 11:00 am
ACK! The "talk".

We've talked around the "talk" but haven't had the "talk" yet.

If it was any other girl I wouldn't even question it as Mo has always had girls for friends but, well, you know, Veronica is, uh, different, because, they, errrr, kiss each other.

But she's a kooky little tomboy who holds her own quite well.

Anyway, I called last night and left a message. Haven't heard back yet. Didn't see Veronica at school this morning so don't have a clue as to what's what.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 11:05 am
Chastity belt time!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 11:12 am
We've had a few permutations of The Talk but we weren't sure how effectively we were getting concepts across, and got this book to follow up on some things:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0763600512/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link

(If the link doesn't work, it's to a book called, "It's So Amazing!: A Book about Eggs, Sperm, Birth, Babies, and Families.")

I was pretty impressed with it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 11:20 am
Thanks, soz!

I see that the book does discuss adoption. Do you recall how it is talked about?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 12:26 pm
I remember liking it.

Here, I have it -- there's a whole chapter on it, called "Becoming A Family: By Birth - By Adoption."

Some points:

- "Every family is different Almost all babies and children grow up in families and are taken care of by their families. Babies and children grow up in all sorts of families."

- Then the many kinds of families are outlined in the text, along with images of all kinds of families -- wheelchair, same-sex, grandparents + grandchildren, etc. This goes on for a while, really makes the point about how much variety there is.

- "Most babies are born into their family. Some babies are adopted into their family... [snip]... If you were adopted, the woman whose egg helped to make you is called your 'birth mother' or 'biological mother.' And the man whose sperm helped to make you is called your 'birth father or biological father.'"

- "There are times when a birth mother or birth father or birth parents cannot take care of their baby or child. When this happens, they make a plan for their baby or child to be adopted -- to become a member of another family and be cared for and loved by that family... [snip] When a parent or parents adopt a child, that means they will love and raise that baby or child as their child."

- Stuff about technicalities of adoption (signing a paper, etc.)

- Stuff about adopting from other countries

- Stuff about some parents having some sort of a welcoming ceremony for the adopted child.

- At the end, the cartoon "narrators" say: "Adoption's an awesome thing!" and "It's an awesome way to make a family!"
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 12:31 pm
That sounds good!

Has sozlet gone over the book with you? What did she think?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 12:34 pm
She LOVED it. She wanted to read it on her own, and that was fine. I asked if she had any questions afterwards, and she did have a few, and we talked about those. She said she learned a lot though, and when I quizzed her she seemed to have absorbed/ retained things really well. (E.G. and I had thought we'd explained things pretty well but then she'd say something that indicated that either she'd forgotten or she hadn't ever really understood it...)

The graphics help a lot too I think as opposed to just verbal explaining.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 12:41 pm
boomerang wrote:

Oh gosh, Ragman, you turned out good too so maybe I shouldn't worry so much......

Gosh, thanks. I never know whether my comments are noticed, at times. I really appreciate that compliment.

I felt such a warm family rush sort of feeling about all this kids coming of age stuff...and learned a lot. Bringing on memories of he nicer part of my family when it was intact.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 12:48 pm
I will pray for your demented little pervert. My experience of your posts suggests that it is way too late for you, but prayer might save the boy yet.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 01:12 pm
Yeah but he's my demented little pervert and I want to be sure he gets it right.

Speaking of prayer and getting it right. Last Sunday over dinner he was trying to figure out this "whole Easter thing" so I gave him this little talk about who Jesus is thought to be and who thinks so and why and blahblahblah. So then he wants to know who God is and I pull out this little sculpture of Ganesh and tell him that a lot of people think that Ganesh is god and other people think blahblahblah.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall the next time one of those school kids bring up Easter and Mo talks about Jesus and his elephant headed daddy.

In comparison, this "whole sex thing" should be a snap!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 01:14 pm
Ragman wrote:

Gosh, thanks. I never know whether my comments are noticed, at times. I really appreciate that compliment.

I think we all feel that way about our posts sometimes, Ragman.

I always notice your posts.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 01:42 pm
Who's Ragman?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 01:43 pm
Did somebody say something?
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 01:44 pm
...a voice crying in the wilderness...
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 02:01 pm
martybarker wrote:
How sweet! Mo will get a lesson on how to treat girls. I personally think it's important for kids to know that they can be friends with both boys and girls.

not after puberty :/
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 02:02 pm
boomerang wrote:

I'd love to be a fly on the wall the next time one of those school kids bring up Easter and Mo talks about Jesus and his elephant headed daddy.

Laughing
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 06:48 pm
Hmmm. I still haven't heard back from Veronica's parents but I think there are some family.... complications (go figure) so I'm not really taking it to heart.

Tomorrow is the school's spring dance it should be fun. Mo's a great dancer now we'll see how couragous he is.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 07:37 pm
It turns out Mo's gal is a little Jesus freak.

Seriously.l

And here I've been teaching Mo about Jesus and Ganesh and .... er... spinning... and er...... stuff.... like..... errrr....

Urantia anyone? Wanna Sufi dance, baby?

This could get interesting.

Where for art thou Moeio?

Damn higher education and the religion courses it offers.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 07:41 pm
oh thank goodness.

I thought you were coming back here to tell us Mo got her pregnant.
0 Replies