Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 03:05 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,193 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 03:09 pm
And The funny idiot Saddam was butchtered without any decent interntational justice.

Rama Fuchs
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 03:22 pm
Too bad they will not ever go punished for what so many of us knew were patent lies from the get-go.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 03:30 pm
Life is like that.

UNFORTUNATELY
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 03:40 pm
Who the hell except those infected with patently unsupported Bushco lies ever thought he did?
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 02:39 pm
The poor patheitic couch potatoes
had failed to understand that
Sadam was a bed fellow of the criminal corporates.

A decent civilized country had been tortured, butchered, raped for no logical reasons.
Let the couch- pototatoes repent, regret and retrace.
My heart is with the innocent citizens .
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 06:44 am
Perhaps you guys missed this key sentance before making your sweeping condemnations?

Quote:
The new study of the Iraqi regime's archives found no documents indicating a "direct operational link" between Hussein's Iraq and al Qaida before the invasion, according to a U.S. official familiar with the report.

No one had access to the Iraqi regime's archives and could therefore not have known. We could only go with the intelligence at the time. As ststed before, being wrong is not lying.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 06:47 am
McGentrix wrote:
Perhaps you guys missed this key sentance before making your sweeping condemnations?

Quote:
The new study of the Iraqi regime's archives found no documents indicating a "direct operational link" between Hussein's Iraq and al Qaida before the invasion, according to a U.S. official familiar with the report.

No one had access to the Iraqi regime's archives and could therefore not have known. We could only go with the intelligence at the time. As ststed before, being wrong is not lying.

Except that there was not evidence of a direct link at the time either. So it's a tad worse than just being wrong, it's drawing a conclusion where there is no evidence to support it, and using it as an argument to take our country to war and destroy another country.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 09:47 am
McGentrix wrote:

Depends.

If you say "in spite of a lack of evidence, we're convinced that Saddam is cooperating with Al Qaeda," you might be wrong, but not lying.

If you say "we know for a fact that Saddam is cooperating with Al Qaeda" - in spite of the fact that no solid evidence exists that suggests that much - well, that's pretty much the definition of a lie.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 10:19 am
The president stated over and over again, incredibly clearly, that the justification for invasion was the apparent likelihood that Iraq had active WMD programs. Misquoting president Bush doesn't help your argument.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 10:22 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
The president stated over and over again, incredibly clearly, that the justification for invasion was the apparent likelihood that Iraq had active WMD programs. Misquoting president Bush doesn't help your argument.

What about Cheney, who to this day maintains a link between the two?

He repeated it over and over before the war, which you are well aware of.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 10:33 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Cycloptichorn

If you say so, I accept it on your word, but if you look at the justifications Mr. Bush gave when trying to get support for the invasion beforehand, it was pretty clearly based on the fear WMD and/or programs. If one intends to make a correct argument, it should be based on correctly quoting people.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 10:34 am
Brandon9000 wrote:

Reading comprehension, Brandon. I was not talking about or quoting Bush, specifically.

But if you want to talk about a specific quote - here you go:

Quote:
SEC. RUMSFELD: We know where [the weapons of mass destruction] are. They're in the area around Tikrit and Baghdad and east, west, south and north somewhat.

See?

Saying "there's contradictory information out there, but we're pretty sure that there are WMD hidden around Tikrit and Baghdad," you might be wrong, but not lying.

If you say "we know where the weapons of mass destruction are - they're in the area around Tikrit and Baghdad" - in spite of the fact that there is evidence that suggests the opposite - then you're essentially telling a lie.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 10:37 am
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Reading comprehension, Brandon. I was not talking about or quoting Bush, specifically.

But if you want to talk about a specific quote - here you go:

Quote:
SEC. RUMSFELD: We know where [the weapons of mass destruction] are. They're in the area around Tikrit and Baghdad and east, west, south and north somewhat.

See?

Saying "there's contradictory information out there, but we're pretty sure that there are WMD hidden around Tikrit and Baghdad," you might be wrong, but not lying.

If you say "we know where the weapons of mass destruction are - they're in the area around Tikrit and Baghdad" - in spite of the fact that there is evidence that suggests the opposite - then you're essentially telling a lie.

My comments pertained only to the idea that the invasion was based on a Sadam - Al Qaeda link, which is untrue. That's the only issue I was talking about.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 10:42 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Cycloptichorn

If you say so, I accept it on your word, but if you look at the justifications Mr. Bush gave when trying to get support for the invasion beforehand, it was pretty clearly based on the fear WMD and/or programs. If one intends to make a correct argument, it should be based on correctly quoting people.

I'm okay with you saying that Bush didn't directly say this, but Cheney and the other Neocons in Washington - Bush's surrogates - most certainly did. And you know it!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 10:46 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Cycloptichorn

I'm okay with you saying that Bush didn't directly say this, but Cheney and the other Neocons in Washington - Bush's surrogates - most certainly did. And you know it!

Cycloptichorn

But did they say it as a justification for invading beforehand? My recollection is that they did not - certainly not in any substantial way.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 10:50 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Cycloptichorn

But did they say it as a justification for invading beforehand? My recollection is that they did not - certainly not in any substantial way.

Oh, they most certainly did. I'll look for some links today.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 11:06 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Cycloptichorn

How about the 2003 State of the Union address?

Quote:
Year after year, Saddam Hussein has gone to elaborate lengths, spent enormous sums, taken great risks to build and keep weapons of mass destruction. But why? The only possible explanation, the only possible use he could have for those weapons, is to dominate, intimidate, or attack.

With nuclear arms or a full arsenal of chemical and biological weapons, Saddam Hussein could resume his ambitions of conquest in the Middle East and create deadly havoc in that region. And this Congress and the America people must recognize another threat. Evidence from intelligence sources, secret communications, and statements by people now in custody reveal that Saddam Hussein aids and protects terrorists, including members of al Qaeda. Secretly, and without fingerprints, he could provide one of his hidden weapons to terrorists, or help them develop their own.

Before September the 11th, many in the world believed that Saddam Hussein could be contained. But chemical agents, lethal viruses and shadowy terrorist networks are not easily contained. Imagine those 19 hijackers with other weapons and other plans -- this time armed by Saddam Hussein.
It would take one vial, one canister, one crate slipped into this country to bring a day of horror like none we have ever known. We will do everything in our power to make sure that that day never comes.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 11:23 am
Thank you OE, just what I was looking for

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 12:35 pm
That's what you were looking for? Confused

Saddam aided and protected terrorists. Of that there is no doubt. You guys at least agree on that, right?

Abu Musab Zarqawi was part of al Qaeda, and he was in Iraq. Not a stretch to say he was not there without Saddam's knowledge.

Can you imagine what 19 hard-core terrorists like the ones on 9/11 had access to the WMD's Saddam was suspected to have had?

I don't see where the lie in that SotU is. I can see where you guys that don't like Bush see it, but it isn't really there.
0 Replies