The decision to have children..or not

aidan

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 04:03 am
Chai - I just saw your post asking me that question (I rarely get those thread updates on my e-mail)

I didn't mean to ignore it.

Even when I was lugging those poopy diapers in one arm- I had my son in the other.

And he was a happy, beautiful person who made my life feel more full. He made it harder - much less freedom - much more work for sure- but he was just such a delight. So engaging- so funny-I couldn't have imagined anything more beautiful (to me).

I like being close to people - and he loved to be held. I love to sing and he loved to be sung to. I like to play outside and so does he...we just matched...and he never had to be anyplace else with anybody else - I was his favorite person too. When I walked into the room - oh my god - the smiles...you can't describe the feeling.

The other day I was picking him up and I watched him walk toward the car in my side mirror and I can't even describe the love I felt for this person walking toward me.

And when he was a baby -it was pretty intense. My husband was really jealous. It was like falling in love with another person. To the point that I didn't think I should have anymore children because I didn't think I could love them as much.

But - funny thing is - I love my daughter exactly as much but in totally different ways for different reasons. She's not as funny to me, SHE'S freaking WISE- uncannily so. She helps me understand things in so many ways- and always has.

One thing I didn't realize is how vulnerable loving someone so much makes you feel. If anything were ever to happen... and there's always the chance it could
. That's the one feeling I get sometimes that makes me think I should have thought twice. I had no idea about that part of it.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 04:22 am
thanks aidan....you said it very clearly.

Yeah, the working at something, but having someone you love next to you.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 04:26 am
You're welcome.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 06:24 am
Slappy, you know that 50% thing is a myth, right?

I'd have to go hunt down the stats again but I remember that for college-educated people about our age (you're younger, but roughly), it was more like 20% divorce rate (80% success rate).

Found it -- it's 16%. And the rate has been trending steadily downward -- that is, more people who get married stay married.

http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1962285#1962285

Not saying that marriage and children is for everyone -- if you don't want to get married and you don't want to have kids, your prerogative. But don't base it on a myth.
0 Replies