Govt bankrupts man for $1.50

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 11:42 am
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=528920&in_page_id=1770

Quote:
For former cab driver Matt Matharu, life was looking good. At 53, he was earning almost £50,000 as a director of a graphic design company.

His wife, Kate, and their two children, who still lived with them, all had full-time jobs.

Then the bombshell dropped through the letter box that led to him losing his job, risking having his house repossessed and unable even to pay for the weekly shop.

Quote:
Not only did the Inland Revenue claim Mr Matharu owed £12,000 in tax, but a court date had been set to make him bankrupt.

It was only when the family were deep in debt that the Revenue admitted it had made a mistake.

It said Mr Matharu owed a mere 88p tax for the year 2003/04 and was actually owed rebates of £370 from three other tax years

Remind me never to earn any money in Britain.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 935 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 11:53 am
It's just one part of a more complex story:

Quote:
ITV1's Tonight programme will air the story of taxi driver Matt Matharu as it examines why more than 1.5 million British people were given the wrong tax bill last year.
[...]
Two anonymous Inland Revenue whistleblowers also appear in the programme, criticising job losses, closure of offices and shortcuts that they say made it less effective.

0.88 pence equal $1.77, btw, not $1.60 :wink:
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 11:57 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
It's just one part of a more complex story:

Quote:
ITV1's Tonight programme will air the story of taxi driver Matt Matharu as it examines why more than 1.5 million British people were given the wrong tax bill last year.
[...]
Two anonymous Inland Revenue whistleblowers also appear in the programme, criticising job losses, closure of offices and shortcuts that they say made it less effective.

0.88 pence equal $1.77, btw, not $1.60 :wink:

Thanks, my math was off.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 12:03 pm
I wonder if the US tax offices or others in other countries are working (always) error-free.

Here, they aren't. And thus we've got a full court system for such, three instances, up to the Federal Finance Court of Germany (one of our five highest courts).
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 12:06 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I wonder if the US tax offices or others in other countries are working (always) error-free.

Here, they aren't. And thus we've got a full court system for such, three instances, up to the Federal Finance Court of Germany (one of our five highest courts).

I am not saying the IRS here is perfect (I am living proof of that).
They tried to tell me that I owed $44, 000 taxes on my salary of $32000 in 1989.

So I know the IRS makes mistakes.
But judging from the article I linked to, the tax office in England seemed to go out of its way to continue to mess with the man mentioned in the article.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 11:48 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Here, they aren't. And thus we've got a full court system for such,
three instances, up to the Federal Finance Court of Germany (one of our five highest courts).

I am not saying the IRS here is perfect (I am living proof of that).
They tried to tell me that I owed $44, 000 taxes on my salary of $32000 in 1989.

So I know the IRS makes mistakes.
But judging from the article I linked to, the tax office in England seemed to go out of its way
to continue to mess with the man mentioned in the article.

Government is a very dangerous, dangerous entity.

Instead of pledging allegiance to it,
we shud unite in declaring our contempt and loathing for it,
because it seeks to control us and exploit us.

As citizens, we need to remind ourselves
that we are like real estate owners
who have opted to hire a questionable, shady property manager ( = government ).

IT works for us; we do not work for it.
We gave it life and existence.
Let 's keep the priorities straight in our minds,
and never trust the damned thing.

Let us consider what we 'd do if the CEO
of our hireling property manager declared a moratorium on elections ?

" Don 't call us; we 'll call u " ??
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 07:16 am
An obvious problem is the quality of the personnel scrutinizing all of the paperwork that flows into the IRS. I was billed for tax on $60,000 unreported by me. The $60,000 represented the principal on a called bond. I'm sure that the paperwork alerting the IRS to this $60,000 indicated that. I will admit that a short note from me to the IRS closed the matter quickly.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 02:16 pm
flyboy804 wrote:
An obvious problem is the quality of the personnel scrutinizing all of the paperwork that flows into the IRS. I was billed for tax on $60,000 unreported by me. The $60,000 represented the principal on a called bond. I'm sure that the paperwork alerting the IRS to this $60,000 indicated that. I will admit that a short note from me to the IRS closed the matter quickly.

Wish it had been that easy for me.
I was forced to hire a lawyer and fight the IRS for 2 years before it was fixed.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 02:21 pm
Years ago, when I was still living in New England, I got an overdue payment notice from my state government (RI) with Urgent posted clearly on it. In addition to wanting my delinquent payment paid in full they stressed the penalties if I did not pay up. The amount was for .04 cents.

It cost them more to mail out the notice.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 11:07 pm
Did u pay them ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 11:11 pm
Gala wrote:
Years ago, when I was still living in New England, I got an overdue payment notice from my state government (RI) with Urgent posted clearly on it. In addition to wanting my delinquent payment paid in full they stressed the penalties if I did not pay up. The amount was for .04 cents.

It cost them more to mail out the notice.

It might have been fun
to mail them a nickle and let them reconcile the difference.
0 Replies