AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

McGentrix

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 01:03 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

McGentrix wrote:
As part of the health care reform agenda, tort reform would seem to be a logical inclusion. By itself, it is certainly no magic bullet, but as a part of the whole, it would seem to make sense that it would lower costs.

So, in other words, tort "reform" isn't worth doing except for its possible effects on health care costs.

Nope. In other words, as part of addressing health care cost reform, tort reform should be addressed as well. As an aside, it will contribute to lower costs. Start by having trial lawyers receive no more then 5% of the reward given to the patient...

Quote:

McGentrix wrote:
So, if we had national tort reform, Dr's would pay less for liability/malpractice insurance. As a part of the whole, that will bring down the cost of health care. By itself, it will do so very little, but combine that with lower drug costs, less expensive medical equipment, government provide training, etc, health care costs will drop more dramatically.

Well, that's rather like saying: "by itself, my lucky rabbit's foot won't get me to the top of Mt. Everest. But if I train extensively, buy the right equipment, and hire the right guides, and I bring along my lucky rabbit's foot, I can get to the top. So it's a good idea to bring along my lucky rabbit's foot." I suppose one could make that argument, but then I doubt a rabbit would.

Actually, it would be more like saying: "by itself, a caribiner won't get me to the top of Mt. Everest, but I would sure like having them and it will probably help my ascent and descent." Your rabbits foot is more like Setanta's elephant repellent. A useless metaphor used when actual discussion bores you.
parados

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 01:06 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Start by having trial lawyers receive no more then 5% of the reward given to the patient...

If we restrict lawyer fees on one side, then shouldn't we also restrict lawyer fees on the other side?

You are arguing that one side should get a tank and the other side gets a pea shooter.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 01:07 pm
@ican711nm,
Obama is at best horribly incompetent. He repeatedly states falsities many of which are contradictions to his previous falsities.
Quote:
http://righttruth.typepad.com/right_truth/2009/09/analysis-of-president-obamas-speech-to-congress-on-healthcare.html
September 10, 2009
Analysis of President Obama’s Speech to Congress on Healthcare
From Tennessee Center for Policy Research

Based on a compilation of independent sources, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research has analyzed President Obama’s September 9th speech to a joint session of Congress outlining his new healthcare plan. That analysis is below:

(1) The President Said: “Buying insurance on your own costs you three times as much as the coverage you get from your employer."

The Reality Is: “Premiums for employment-based plans are expected to average about $5,000 per year for single coverage and about $13,000 per year for family coverage in 2009. Premiums for policies purchased in the individual insurance market are, on average, much lower"about one-third lower for single coverage and one-half lower for family policies.”

(2) The President Said: “There are now more than thirty million American citizens who cannot get health insurance] coverage.”

The Reality Is: As many as 75% of the uninsured could afford coverage, meaning that less than 10 million uninsured Americans may be unable to afford coverage.

(3) The President Said: “We spend one-and-a-half times more per person on health care than any other country, but we aren't any healthier for it.”

The Reality Is: While Americans do in fact spend more on healthcare than any other nation, “When you compare the outcomes for specific diseases, the United States clearly outperforms the rest of the world. Whether the disease is cancer, pneumonia, heart disease, or AIDS, the chances of a patient surviving are far higher in the United States than in other countries.”

(4) The President Said: If you are among the hundreds of millions of Americans who already have health insurance through your job, Medicare, Medicaid, or the VA, nothing in this plan will require you or your employer to change the coverage or the doctor you have. Let me repeat this: nothing in our plan requires you to change what you have.”

The Reality Is: Many employers will be forced to modify their plans to meet the new government standards and still others will simply drop coverage for their employees, forcing employees to obtain their own coverage or join the government-run plan. The Urban Institute estimates that up to 47 million Americans will lose their current coverage, while the Lewin Group estimates that as many as 114 million Americans’ coverage will be dropped.

(5) The President Said: “[Insurance companies] will no longer be able to place some arbitrary cap on the amount of coverage you can receive in a given year or a lifetime. We will place a limit on how much you can be charged for out-of-pocket expenses, because in the United States of America, no one should go broke because they get sick. And insurance companies will be required to cover, with no extra charge, routine checkups and preventive care, like mammograms and colonoscopies…”

The Reality Is: Forcing insurance companies to eliminate caps and cover routine treatments will drastically increase health insurance costs and compel insurance companies to skimp on important and necessary treatments. Individuals can purchase coverage for the treatments mentioned, but it should be optional, not compulsory.

more to come
Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 01:10 pm
What's up, Ican? Did you get beat up so bad on tort reform and health insurance premiums that you're giving up and trying to change the subject?
Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 01:11 pm
@McGentrix,
Tryin' to get two for the price of one, McWhitey?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 01:17 pm
@ican711nm,
Quote:
(2) The President Said: “There are now more than thirty million American citizens who cannot get health insurance] coverage.”

The Reality Is: As many as 75% of the uninsured could afford coverage, meaning that less than 10 million uninsured Americans may be unable to afford coverage.

Sure, just try to get that pre-existing condition covered.

When someone posts that as "Reality" you have to wonder if they have ever tried to get insurance with a pre-existing condition.
parados

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 01:20 pm
@ican711nm,
Quote:
(3) The President Said: “We spend one-and-a-half times more per person on health care than any other country, but we aren't any healthier for it.”

The Reality Is: While Americans do in fact spend more on healthcare than any other nation, “When you compare the outcomes for specific diseases, the United States clearly outperforms the rest of the world. Whether the disease is cancer, pneumonia, heart disease, or AIDS, the chances of a patient surviving are far higher in the United States than in other countries.”

The survival of TREATED patients is higher in the US.

The survival rate of ALL patients is NOT. When you include the 25% of patients no insurance, what do you really think the survival rates are?

Perhaps the website should be called Right Truthiisms because it doesn't seem to have much basis in actually looking at facts.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 01:20 pm
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:
Sarah Palin's book: Going Rogue: The endearing story of a half-witted American woman, the female counterpart of the dumbest man on the planet (Glenn Beck), aspiring to write an autobiography

Everytime you libel Sarah Palin here, you portray yourself to be the stupidous contributor to this thread. You are a WREDA (i.e., Wealth REDistributor Activist) that appears terrified that Sarah Palin may in fact run against Barack Obam, a WREDAP (i.e., Wealth REDistributor Activist Practitioner), in 2012, and make Barak Obama clearly reveal himself to be the fool he is.
parados

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 01:23 pm
@ican711nm,
An IDIOT is someone that thinks

Ignorance Defeats Intelligence Or Truth.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 01:23 pm
@ican711nm,
Since this is the second time you've posted this, I guess it's time to address it.

ican711nm wrote:

(1) The President Said: “Buying insurance on your own costs you three times as much as the coverage you get from your employer."

The Reality Is: “Premiums for employment-based plans are expected to average about $5,000 per year for single coverage and about $13,000 per year for family coverage in 2009. Premiums for policies purchased in the individual insurance market are, on average, much lower"about one-third lower for single coverage and one-half lower for family policies.”

This caught my eye because it flies directly in the face of my own experience. Still, my experience could be abnormal so I looked into it. The quote is taken froma CBO report(pdf) that takes a pretty comprehensive look at health care reform. It is a quote, however, that is selectively short. Here's the whole paragraph:
Quote:
Premiums for employment-based plans are expected to
average about $5,000 per year for single coverage and
about $13,000 per year for family coverage in 2009. Premiums
for policies purchased in the individual insurance
market are, on average, much lower"about one-third
lower for single coverage and one-half lower for family
policies. Those differences largely reflect the fact that policies
purchased in the individual market generally cover a
smaller share of enrollees’ health care costs, which also
encourages enrollees to use fewer services.

The report is comparing averages, not the costs of identical policies. Further, the president said "Buying insurance on your own costs you three times as much as the coverage you get from your employer", not that the premiums were 3 times as expensive. Employer provided plans are paid for with pre-tax dollars while individual plans are not. In addition, most employers absorb some of the cost of these plans. So the president is most certainly NOT lying when he says it will cost you more to purchase it on your own.

Having figured out that the first claim in your link was specious, I spared myself reading the rest. I'm not factcheck.org and I don't have time to do an entire fact check on something like this, so if they can't come correct on their first point I see no reason to assume any of their other points will be valid.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 01:27 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta, YOU are the one who got "beat up so bad on tort reform and health insurance premiums that you're unable to make a rational retort on the subject."

I feel sorry for you, so I decided to get back to discussing Barack Obama's competence to be President of the USA.
maporsche

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 01:30 pm
@wandeljw,
No, that's not when the discussion started, nor does my mis-capitalization of tort change or modify my position.

I would beg you to pay closer attention.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 01:31 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

McGentrix wrote:
As part of the health care reform agenda, tort reform would seem to be a logical inclusion. By itself, it is certainly no magic bullet, but as a part of the whole, it would seem to make sense that it would lower costs.

So, in other words, tort "reform" isn't worth doing except for its possible effects on health care costs.

I personally think that's a good enough reason.

But if pressed, no I don't think multi-million dollar "I'm sorry for your loss" payouts for doctor mistakes do anything to reduce doctor mistakes, or improve healthcare.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 01:34 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Nope. In other words, as part of addressing health care cost reform, tort reform should be addressed as well. As an aside, it will contribute to lower costs.

Why? What are the intrinsic merits of tort "reform," aside from its supposed effects on health care costs?

McGentrix wrote:
Start by having trial lawyers receive no more then 5% of the reward given to the patient...

What would be the purpose of that?

McGentrix wrote:
Actually, it would be more like saying: "by itself, a caribiner won't get me to the top of Mt. Everest, but I would sure like having them and it will probably help my ascent and descent." Your rabbits foot is more like Setanta's elephant repellent. A useless metaphor used when actual discussion bores you.

I don't recall impugning your motives when I replied to your post. But that's OK: I know you wouldn't do that if you had a real argument to make.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 01:41 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:

I personally think that's a good enough reason.

I'm sure it is, as long as you ignore all the facts.

maporsche wrote:
But if pressed, no I don't think multi-million dollar "I'm sorry for your loss" payouts for doctor mistakes do anything to reduce doctor mistakes, or improve healthcare.

Odd that you're so insistent on finding evidence for the effects of tort "reform" on health care costs but so incurious about any evidence regarding the effects of the current tort system on reducing doctor mistakes. Remember, even tort "reform" advocates argue that doctors are performing "defensive medicine" in order to avoid possible malpractice claims. That, in itself, suggests that the tort system is having a direct effect on reducing doctor mistakes -- indeed, a far more direct effect than the hoped-for effect of tort "reform" on health care costs.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 01:45 pm
@ican711nm,
ican711nm wrote:
Everytime you libel Sarah Palin here, you portray yourself to be the stupidous contributor to this thread.

I love the smell of irony in the morning.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 01:49 pm
@ican711nm,
Maporsche has done an excellent job in explaining the probable long term benefits of tort reform--in particular limiting tort rewards for non-expenses. He obviously understands that reducing the cost of tort insurance for medical doctor's in all 50 states, will probably lead to either lower cost health insurance in all 50 states, or to the cost of health insurance increasing less in all 50 states than it would without tort reform.

maporsche wrote:
I did point out that rates in Texas didn't increase AS MUCH in Texas as they did nationwide. That should be an important part of this discussion. If rates went up 100% nationwide over 10 years and only up 90% in Texas over the same timeline, well we should see if TORT reform had anything to do with it. Shouldn't we?

And if it did have an effect, it would be accurate to say that TORT reform helped to drive down premiums.
maporsche

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 01:51 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

maporsche wrote:

Odd that you're so insistent on finding evidence for the effects of tort "reform" on health care costs but so incurious about any evidence regarding the effects of the current tort system on reducing doctor mistakes. Remember, even tort "reform" advocates argue that doctors are performing "defensive medicine" in order to avoid possible malpractice claims. That, in itself, suggests that the tort system is having a direct effect on reducing doctor mistakes -- indeed, a far more direct effect than the hoped-for effect of tort "reform" on health care costs.

Joe, I don't think you're reading my post correctly. How unlike you Rolling Eyes

I have no doubt that the threat of malpractice claims will cause doctors to order unnecessary tests in order to cover their asses. But these tests are, of course, unnecessary.

I said, please read slowly, that I don't think multi-million dollar "I'm sorry for your loss" payouts for doctor mistakes do anything to [actually] reduce doctor mistakes, or improve healthcare.

Doesn't the evidence show that these tests are being performed, but there is no measurable improvement in the various health care metrics (life expectancy, etc), which suggests that the tests are not the right answer. There are 2 reason I can think of why a doctor would perform an unnecessary test, 1) to cover his ass against malpractice, 2) to bill the insurance industry for something else.

Do you have any evidence that tort law has helped to reduce doctor mistakes?
parados

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 01:55 pm
@ican711nm,
I suppose you also believe then that tort reform leads to lack of insurance since Texas has more uninsured than any other state and it is climbing since tort reform.

Quote:
Texas continues to have the dubious distinction of leading the nation in the percentage of medically uninsured people, according to census data released Thursday.

About 25.1 percent of Texans lack insurance, up from 24.1 percent, based on two-year averages comparing 2007-08 with 2005-06 census data.

http://www.star-telegram.com/texas/story/1604772.html

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 01:58 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
Remember, even tort "reform" advocates argue that doctors are performing "defensive medicine" in order to avoid possible malpractice claims. That, in itself, suggests that the tort system is having a direct effect on reducing doctor mistakes -- indeed, a far more direct effect than the hoped-for effect of tort "reform" on health care costs

Ordering redundant or tests that normally would not be indicated just to reduce the remote chance that something unrelated are not likely to reduce doctor mistakes. When I go to the doctor to see why I have a sore throat, and he accurately diagnoses 'strep', I would not choose to have a whole battery of tests at the time just in case something else is wrong with me. I would like to have the option of using my money for a problem that I know I have.

Again I think most of us have come to agree that needed tort reform by itself won't accomplish a great deal to reduce costs to the individual patient, but we have shown that it can and has produced other benefits that improve overall healthcare. It should be part of any general healthcare reform package and, when it is, can be expected to reduce at least some costs.