AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 11:12 am
@joefromchicago,
A better test would be to see what things he believes are constitutional that he doesn't like.

T
K
O
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 11:16 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
President Bush wasn't consolidating power except in the realm of national security which 90+% of Americans thought appropriate in the wake of 9/11. Otherwise he was being quite divisive and weakening his position in areas that I thought he should have been standing strong (i.e. global warming, illegal immigration, control of the nation's ports, etc.)

Of course it was "in the realm of national security" and many people, though not nearly the 90% number you pulled out of your ass, did support it. Every power grab was in the name of national security because your lot love that sort of thing. Whatever it takes for security! Hang 'em high! Power to the sherrif! You gave him the future of our children in the name of safety. They played you like a fiddle and you're still dancing to their tune. But now a bill comes out that would give this president power to protect critical infrastructure from a cyber attack and security is no longer high on your list. Suddenly it's an unprecedented power grab! Far worse than the power to eavesdrop on Americans without a warrant. (For the record, I'm not crazy about that bill either for the same reason, but you've got some hypocrisy to explain on that.)
Foxfyre wrote:
You seem to defend your guy by attacking and accusing his critics.

This thread is littered with examples of people, myself included, rebutting your accusations with facts only to have you retreat to the safety of your suspicions anyway. You have no interest in facts if they contradict your preconceptions.

Foxfyre wrote:
I have not been clamoring for Obama's removal other than through the elective process, nor are most conservatives clamoring for his removal other than through the elective process. Do you dare tell me that none on your side were clamoring for George Bush's impeachment?

Oh, you weren't just having a conversation with ican about how everyone he knows wants to impeach the president? As for Bush, (and I don't have a side, for the 850th time unless being against ignorance is a side) yes, many wanted him impeached, but not in his first year for chrissakes. Not until he prosecuted an unnecessary war in Iraq and politicized the justice department, attempted to legalize torture, signed away congressional lawmaking powers, eavesdropped on Americans without a warrant, and declared that he had the power to interpret away any human rights protections in the Geneva Conventions did people start talking impeachment. And you dare tell me that Bush wasn't consolidating power... yeah, you weren't paying attention.

Foxfyre wrote:

Another thing I try not to do is misrepresent what people say or what they draw parallels to. You could take lessons from me in that regard.

Fox, I've said my piece and I'm happy with it. This ^ however has to be the most absurd of many absurdities you've had the audacity to write here. I had to mop the coffee off of my keyboard when I read it.

If I criticized Bush and have not critized Obama as much it's because 1) I think Obama is a better president and 2) Obama has not had as much time as Bush had to screw things up. And I think he's better not because he's a Democrat but because he's smarter, less easy to manipulate, and he's actually interested in the job. That doesn't mean he's going to get everything right but that's not what I expect, and I'm withholding most criticism until the fog of economic crisis lifts -- as I withheld criticism of Bush until he went all Rambo on us. You are not the arbiter of what constitutes partisanship and I have no interest in proving myself to you.
ican711nm

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 11:21 am
@joefromchicago,
In Article I. Section 8., the Constitution grants the federal government the power: "To coin money, to regulate the value thereof, and of foreign coin, and fix the standards of weights and measures;"

A Congress of the United States and a president have chosen to regulate the value of coin money by printing money. If that is not a power that clause has granted to the federal government, then the federal government printing money is unconstitutional until such time as an amendment to the Constitution is passed that grants the federal government that power.

Does the power granted by the Constitution to the federal government to coin money and regulate the value thereof include the power to print money? I think so!
ican711nm

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 11:25 am
@joefromchicago,
Public airports do not themselves regulate commerce. It is some of the people or organizations who run airports that regulate commerce.

When money lended by the government to persons or organizations is not paid back, that money constitutes a transfer of wealth, unless the government can seize other assets of the persons or organizations equivalent to the money it has lended.
Foxfyre

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 11:37 am
@ican711nm,
ican711nm wrote:

In Article I. Section 8., the Constitution grants the federal government the power: "To coin money, to regulate the value thereof, and of foreign coin, and fix the standards of weights and measures;"

A Congress of the United States and a president have chosen to regulate the value of coin money by printing money. If that is not a power that clause has granted to the federal government, then the federal government printing money is unconstitutional until such time as an amendment to the Constitution is passed that grants the federal government that power.

Does the power granted by the Constitution to the federal government to coin money and regulate the value thereof include the power to print money? I think so!

I think most think so since it has not been challenged in the courts. But prior to Lincoln and during his term there were lots of folks who didn't think so.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 11:38 am
@ican711nm,
Quote:
When money lended by the government to persons or organizations is not paid back, that money constitutes a transfer of wealth, unless the government can seize other assets of the persons or organizations equivalent to the money it has lended.

But if the government lends money to a bank and then takes the value of stock in the bank to cover what was lent, that IS a transfer of wealth?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 11:43 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:

But if the government lends money to a bank and then takes the value of stock in the bank to cover what was lent, that IS a transfer of wealth?

I wonder what Ican will say, if the government recoups it's losses on the TARP funds loaned out to banks - as we have already done with much of the money.

Cycloptichorn
Foxfyre

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 11:56 am
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:
President Bush wasn't consolidating power except in the realm of national security which 90+% of Americans thought appropriate in the wake of 9/11. Otherwise he was being quite divisive and weakening his position in areas that I thought he should have been standing strong (i.e. global warming, illegal immigration, control of the nation's ports, etc.)

Of course it was "in the realm of national security" and many people, though not nearly the 90% number you pulled out of your ass, did support it. Every power grab was in the name of national security because your lot love that sort of thing. Whatever it takes for security! Hang 'em high! Power to the sherrif! You gave him the future of our children in the name of safety. They played you like a fiddle and you're still dancing to their tune. But now a bill comes out that would give this president power to protect critical infrastructure from a cyber attack and security is no longer high on your list. Suddenly it's an unprecedented power grab! Far worse than the power to eavesdrop on Americans without a warrant. (For the record, I'm not crazy about that bill either for the same reason, but you've got some hypocrisy to explain on that.)

I can't find a poll for the Patriot Act at the time it was passed, but at that time President Bush's approval was in the 90 percentile range. A Gallup/CNN poll in 2005 still had approval for the Patriot Act at or close to 60% and that was after the ACLU and people like you had been trashing it for four years.

So you can accuse me of pulling the numbers out of my ass if you wish, but I think history is closer to my side than yours about that.

Quote:
Foxfyre wrote:
You seem to defend your guy by attacking and accusing his critics.

This thread is littered with examples of people, myself included, rebutting your accusations with facts only to have you retreat to the safety of your suspicions anyway. You have no interest in facts if they contradict your preconceptions.

Rebutting my opinions with facts you can't back up with anything but other partisan opinion isn't exactly an indictment of me. I don't claim to get everything right and I don't presume to judge others or attack them when they get something wrong. But if I'm going to tell them they're wrong, I figure I need something more than partisan bullshit to back up my opinion.

Quote:
Foxfyre wrote:
I have not been clamoring for Obama's removal other than through the elective process, nor are most conservatives clamoring for his removal other than through the elective process. Do you dare tell me that none on your side were clamoring for George Bush's impeachment?

Oh, you weren't just having a conversation with ican about how everyone he knows wants to impeach the president? As for Bush, (and I don't have a side, for the 850th time unless being against ignorance is a side) yes, many wanted him impeached, but not in his first year for chrissakes. Not until he prosecuted an unnecessary war in Iraq and politicized the justice department, attempted to legalize torture, signed away congressional lawmaking powers, eavesdropped on Americans without a warrant, and declared that he had the power to interpret away any human rights protections in the Geneva Conventions did people start talking impeachment. And you dare tell me that Bush wasn't consolidating power... yeah, you weren't paying attention.

Naw you aren't partisan and no blinders at all. And almost no partisan opinions and no spouting of the traditional party line re Bush at all. (cough) But you presume to indict me because I've had a conversation with Ican re impeachment? A conversation in which I disagreed with Ican about that? You have a very different definition of blinders than I do.

Quote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Another thing I try not to do is misrepresent what people say or what they draw parallels to. You could take lessons from me in that regard.

Fox, I've said my piece and I'm happy with it. This ^ however has to be the most absurd of many absurdities you've had the audacity to write here. I had to mop the coffee off of my keyboard when I read it.

If I criticized Bush and have not critized Obama as much it's because 1) I think Obama is a better president and 2) Obama has not had as much time as Bush had to screw things up. And I think he's better not because he's a Democrat but because he's smarter, less easy to manipulate, and he's actually interested in the job. That doesn't mean he's going to get everything right but that's not what I expect, and I'm withholding most criticism until the fog of economic crisis lifts -- as I withheld criticism of Bush until he went all Rambo on us. You are not the arbiter of what constitutes partisanship and I have no interest in proving myself to you.

I was referring to your misrepresenting what I say, but no worries. Misquoting or misstating somebody's opinion or misinterpreting it can happen to the best of us, and it is a particular failing of the partisan left.

And you might think it well and good to withhold criticism of Obama's actions and policies for now because after all he is so new at the job. Those of you who so vehemently opposed the Iraq war after the fact might want to rethink that a bit. What if you have vehemently opposed the Iraq war before Congress voted on it? Before the decision was made? Maybe we wouldn't have gone to war then and you would be happier. (You actually probably wouldn't have been happier but it's a nice thought anyway.)

At any rate, I would rather criticize the President and Congress now before they do something really stupid that will be extremely difficult if not impossible to reverse. I think patriots should always make their voice known re the wishes of the people. Unlike you and Thomas, I don't meekly hand the government license to decide what is best for me and trust that they will make good decisions.

More especially I don't when I do not believe the government has my best interests at heart or has an agenda to which I strongly object.

I prefer to fight these battles while they can still be won instead of waiting until its a done deal and then carp and criticize and condemn.
parados

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 12:07 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
So you can accuse me of pulling the numbers out of my ass if you wish, but I think history is closer to my side than yours about that.

I think Fox meant to say her ass is closer to her side than yours is. After all, that is the only way her statement makes any sense.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 12:27 pm
@FreeDuck,
Oh I failed to address the cyber attack thing.

What can you find in the Patriot Act that gives the President, or Congress for that matter, unprecedented ability to wag the dog or abuse power on a broad national scale?

Would you be comfortable with a George W. Bush having unilateral power to shut down the Internet and therefore eliminate the only unfiltered means of communication available to the people on a broad scale? Power to shut down the Internet and thus cripple many if not most commerce and industry which is increasingly dependent on the internet? Even our tiny little business is now wholly dependent on the internet to operate. Shut that down and we are unable to do business.

Had an initiative to find ways to develop technology and security to defend from cyber attack been proposed, I would be cheering on the process and initiative and would see that as a very credible use of my tax dollars. Granting the government unprecedented power to control communications in peacetime is not acceptable to me.

ican711nm

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 12:32 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

That is not a transfer of wealth.

But transfers of wealth (i.e., transfers of property from those who lawfully earned it to those who did not lawfully earned it), are not the only things the federal government does that are unconstitutional. As I previously posted, lending some of its tax revenue to private organizations or persons is also unconstitutional, because the federal government is not granted the power by the Constitution to do that.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 12:36 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

What can you find in the Patriot Act that gives the President, or Congress for that matter, unprecedented ability to wag the dog or abuse power on a broad national scale?

Couldn't that be Section 212 of USAPA? (USAPA 802 creates a rather broad definition for the crime of domestic terrorism.)
At least in 2001 it was thought that such might happen according to this section(s).
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 12:37 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

I can't find a poll for the Patriot Act at the time it was passed, but at that time President Bush's approval was in the 90 percentile range.

Popular support of a president after a terrorist attack does not equal support for constitution shredding measures.

Quote:
A Gallup/CNN poll in 2005 still had approval for the Patriot Act at or close to 60% and that was after the ACLU and people like you had been trashing it for four years.

People like me, the ACLU, Bob Barr, Republicans who wanted to keep their seats in congress, etc... The fact is it was passed during an unprecedented time of fear in this country -- a fact you could plug into your handy-dandy Hitler Comparator.

Quote:

Rebutting my opinions with facts you can't back up with anything but other partisan opinion isn't exactly an indictment of me. I don't claim to get everything right and I don't presume to judge others or attack them when they get something wrong. But if I'm going to tell them they're wrong, I figure I need something more than partisan bullshit to back up my opinion.

Yeah? That must be why you post unsigned editorials containing baseless allegations with no references here for our serious consideration. Or why you challenge the validity of Factcheck.org as a source. Or why you think the "About" page on a government agency's website is a partisan source. I'm very careful about what I post in rebuttal, I can't say the same for you.

Quote:

Naw you aren't partisan and no blinders at all. And almost no partisan opinions and no spouting of the traditional party line re Bush at all. (cough)

I'm really not interested in convincing you. Have a hanky.

Quote:
But you presume to indict me because I've had a conversation with Ican re impeachment? A conversation in which I disagreed with Ican about that? You have a very different definition of blinders than I do.

You said no conservatives were talking impeachment. Right after having a discussion with Ican about how everyone he knows is talking impeachment. I never accused you of agreeing with him.

Quote:
And you might think it well and good to withhold criticism of Obama's actions and policies for now because after all he is so new at the job. Those of you who so vehemently opposed the Iraq war after the fact might want to rethink that a bit. What if you have vehemently opposed the Iraq war before Congress voted on it? Before the decision was made? Maybe we wouldn't have gone to war then and you would be happier. (You actually probably wouldn't have been happier but it's a nice thought anyway.)

What makes you think I (we, whoever we are) didn't oppose it before Congress voted on it? I never supported it and, frankly, thought it was so far-fetched that they couldn't possibly accomplish it. That's what I get for thinking. Leaders who did oppose it were shouted down as being appeasers and terrorist lovers. Or maybe you don't remember that part. And yes, I would be happier if we had not gone to war in Iraq. Much, much happier. Do you not see any connection between that war and our current economic and fiscal situations?

Quote:
At any rate, I would rather criticize the President and Congress now before they do something really stupid that will be extremely difficult if not impossible to reverse. I think patriots should always make their voice known re the wishes of the people.

Oh, I'm not against criticism. I just ask that you acknowledge the facts and quit playing to conspiracy theories and harping on irrelevant ****, like fictional lobster in Montana.

Quote:
Unlike you and Thomas, I don't meekly hand the government license to decide what is best for me and trust that they will make good decisions.

Holy alternate universe! You DO hand the government license to decide what's best for us and you DID, unquestioningly, because they knew how to play you. They gave you an enemy to focus on and filled your ears with fears and you rolled over like you were getting a treat. Not only that, you helped them spread the message.

Quote:
More especially I don't when I do not believe the government has my best interests at heart or has an agenda to which I strongly object.

I prefer to fight these battles while they can still be won instead of waiting until its a done deal and then carp and criticize and condemn.
Then fight with facts. Name the bill and provision you object to -- then acknowledge that Obama is no longer in the senate and lay the criticism where it belongs. Bring the numbers. Name the policy and explain why it's wrong. But that's not what you do and you know it.
ican711nm

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 12:37 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I wonder what Ican will say, if the government recoups it's losses on the TARP funds loaned out to banks - as we have already done with much of the money.

Most of the TARP funds loaned out to banks has not been recouped. In fact TARP funds continue to be loaned out to banks.

However, whether the TARP funds are eventually fully refunded or not, the federal government is not empowered by the Constitution to lend funds to private organizations or persons. So TARP is unconstitutional.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 12:45 pm
@ican711nm,
no. you wise up.

the constitution clearly states that they can collect taxes from you. they don't have to ask you **** about how it gets spent.

you're really kind of a bitter old goat, aren't ya.
Foxfyre

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 12:53 pm
@FreeDuck,
Do you really believe all that stuff when you post it? And you honestly believe you are non partisan, clear eyed, truthful, objective, and realistic about what you are posting?
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 12:53 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I wonder how many people like myself who only disapprove of how Obama is handling the healthcare bill BECAUSE he hasn't done enough to explain how it will not increase the deficit.....

i'm with ya on this. i have no idea why he isn't hitting it over and over on true prime time.

and the thing about ssn; from what i hear, that's pretty much how it works in other countries.

but that would be too simple around here these days. Confused
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 12:56 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
....ColorofChange's hateful effort to silence Beck. ...

DING DING DING DING DING...... TALKING POINT ALERT ! Laughing

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 12:56 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

no. you wise up.

the constitution clearly states that they can collect taxes from you. they don't have to ask you **** about how it gets spent.

you're really kind of a bitter old goat, aren't ya.

The Constitution also specifies what the legitimate business of the federal government is. The issue is whether those in the federal government can legitimately tax us for activities or programs or actions that are not specified in the Constitution as the legitimate business of of the federal government.

When they do, is it not incumbant upon the American citizens to object to that? Or should we meekly submit to the govenrment no matter what it does on the theory that the government holds all the power and we hold none?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 12:57 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:
....ColorofChange's hateful effort to silence Beck. ...

DING DING DING DING DING...... TALKING POINT ALERT ! Laughing

You think? I would be honored if a phrase I coined should become a talking point because I think it would make an excellent one.
0 Replies