AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 10:30 am
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

It would honestly depend. If Bush or McCain had automatically assumed 'racism' in the Gates incident, without knowing any of the details involved, I would consider that a 'racist' view as much as Beck considered Obama's reaction to be 'racist'. And, when it is offered for public consumption, I don't think it would be wrong for anybody to point that out.

I think it may be time to get the dictionary out. Perceiving racism is not itself racist. You'll note I did not accuse Beck of racism for the same.

Perceiving racism where no racism is logically involved is racist. Automatically assuming racism without knowing he facts of a matter is racist.

Quote:
Quote:
It would be wrong to conclude any kind of deep seated racism, however, without more history than one off-the-cuff remark. So again, you have to add in all the other stuff like the book passages, phrases from speeches, background, and relationships in order to form a better informed opinion.

Yeah, I read that paragraph in Audacity of Hope where he said white people are monkeys destined to have their inferior intellects ruled by black people and professing surprise upon learning that whites use soap. You're on to something there.

This is too absurd to merit comment. If you wish to be in a state of denial like all the other Obama worshippers and believe he has never said or written anything re race that would raise eyebrows or there is nothing in his history that relates to the issue, that is your prerogative too.

Here is just one of several essays Thomas Sowell has devoted to this subject however, and Thomas Sowell has devoted a great deal of his life to the study of, commentary on, and history of race in America:
http://jewishworldreview.com/cols/sowell072809.php3

Quote:
Quote:
So, was Jesse Jackson demonstrating racism when he said this?:
"There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery -- then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved."

This has got to be among the most irrelevant questions ever asked. I'm not the one making accusations of racism, Glenn Beck is. Why don't you ask Glenn Beck whether Jesse Jackson is racist?

Because I am not having a discussion about race with Glenn Beck. The question is entirely relevent as an illustration of perceptions of race and racism and what should or should not be acceptable to say in the public arena.

Uncomfortable question though huh? No wonder you chose to dodge it. Smile
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 10:36 am
@Foxfyre,
Fox,

Quote:

Perceiving racism where no racism is logically involved is racist. Automatically assuming racism without knowing he facts of a matter is racist.

Good thing Obama didn't do that.

Let's go to the actual record:

Quote:
"My understanding is that Professor Gates then shows his I.D. to show that this is his house and, at that point, he gets arrested for disorderly conduct, charges which are later dropped," Obama said.

Police dispute the extent of Gates' cooperation, saying he didn't initially provide identification when asked and berated the police.

However, Obama continued, "I don't know, not having been there and not seeing all the facts, what role race played in that [Gates case]. But I think it's fair to say, number one, any of us would be pretty angry; number two, that the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home; and, number three, what I think we know separate and apart from this incident is that there's a long history in this country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately. That's just a fact."

Obama specifically said that he didn't know what role race played in the Gates incident. He specifically said that 'separate and apart' from this incident, there has been a history of disproportional police involvement with minorities. Nothing that Obama said was racist in any way, period. He did not automatically assume racism at all.

However, Beck - being an idiot - jumped on this, just like the rest of the right wing did, b/c you are all looking for chinks in the armor of the guy who kicked the **** out of your party last cycle. The problem is that you don't have the guts to back off what is essentially a false and stupid accusation on your part.

Cycloptichorn
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 10:46 am
@Cycloptichorn,
A person not fixated on race would say that he didn't have the facts and couldn't comment until he did. Period end. The fact that he automatically related the incident as a racial matter and presumed to deliver a lecture about it speaks volumes.

But just for the record, here is the President in his own words
FreeDuck

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 10:49 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

rac⋅ism
  /ˈreɪsɪzəm/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [rey-siz-uhm] Show IPA
Use racist in a Sentence
"noun
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Quote:
If you wish to be in a state of denial like all the other Obama worshippers and believe he has never said or written anything re race that would raise eyebrows or there is nothing in his history that relates to the issue, that is your prerogative too.

You now have two feet planted behind Beck's argument that the president is racist and hates white people.

Quote:

Because I am not having a discussion about race with Glenn Beck. The question is entirely relevent as an illustration of perceptions of race and racism and what should or should not be acceptable to say in the public arena.

This is not, in fact, a discussion about race. This is a discussion about Glenn Beck declaring that the president hates white people and how that feeds into the fears of people who are not happy to have a black president. The only person in this discussion who is behaving as the self appointed arbiter of what is and is not racism, is you. I've not engaged in that discussion because I think it's absurd. You can redefine racism until MLK himself becomes the Goebbels of our time but you'll go down that hole alone.

Quote:
Uncomfortable question though huh? No wonder you chose to dodge it. Smile

You're not very good at baiting.
Debra Law

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 10:49 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

So, basically, instead of just not watching Beck these people have decided they do not like his use of the first amendment and want to shut him down. . . . Couldn't they just watch something else instead of trying to push their own views on others?

McGentrix's argument is disingenuous because the First Amendment prohibits the GOVERNMENT from placing prior restraints on speech or the press. In McGentrix's skewed rightwing view, Beck has a right to spew hate and fear, but other people do NOT have the right to voice their disapproval. The public ought to take notice and be alarmed that Beck is inciting Timothy McVeigh and Scott Roeder wannabes who are glued to his hate-mongering show while they're polishing their guns.

McGentrix doesn't understand that the First Amendment does not immunize a speaker from subsequent punishment for his violence-inciting words. And make no mistake, Beck is indeed using dangerous and crazy words to incite his audience of rightwing puppets and extremists (many of whom are dangerous and violent people). Beck should learn to exercise some self-control before he crosses too far over the line like his friend Hal Turner.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 10:51 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

A person not fixated on race would say that he didn't have the facts and couldn't comment until he did. Period end. The fact that he automatically related the incident as a racial matter and presumed to deliver a lecture about it speaks volumes.

Maybe in your twisted mind it does. When the president clearly says, 'I don't know what role race played in this incident,' he isn't accusing people of racism. Obama is not limited from commenting further by the fact that you wouldn't have, and he's not a racist for doing so either.

Obama related to this as a racial matter, b/c Gates' accusations of racism were a large part of the story - whether or not they were merited by the actions of the officer. If we were talking about two white guys, you never would have even heard of this case.

I will add that Beck said, and you agreed with him, that Obama has a 'deep-seated hatred of white people.' This is a ridiculous statement which is not born out by fact or logic.

You're pretty blown on this one, Obama's own words disavow the attack you and Beck are trying to make. Weak. If you are going to accuse the President of racism, you'd better come up with something stronger than this.

Cycloptichorn
Diest TKO

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 10:52 am
@Foxfyre,
He didn't automatically relate this to race. He said he didn't know what role race played. His comment about the cops acting foolishly was not about their actions in light of race, but rather that the cops had identified Gates as the resident of the dwelling already.

Your and Beck's argument is pure straw.

T
K
O
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 10:52 am
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

McGentrix wrote:
So, basically, instead of just not watching Beck these people have decided they do not like his use of the first amendment and want to shut him down.

The first amendment says that Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech or of the press. Nobody is lobbying Congress to pass a law taking Glenn Beck off the air.

All people are doing is telling companies that they don't appreciate their support of Glenn Beck by advertising on his show, and that they will take their business elsewhere. It's the free market at work.

Quote:
let's contemplate for a moment the likely effects of this Glenn Beck boycott:
(1) More attention, and thus, possibly more viewers for Glenn Beck.
(2) A sympathy backlash (like this column) from people who normally wouldn't dream of defending Glenn Beck, but who will almost always defend free speech.
(3) A backlash boycott against Olbermann, or whomever, on the part of angered conservatives.
(4) The spreading perception that some liberals are often willing to employ tactics that are quite illiberal when it comes to those with whom they disagree.
(5) More opportunity on Beck's show for him to spew goofy opinions, precisely because the advertisers have fled, leaving him with more time to fill.

link
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 10:58 am
@FreeDuck,
All I have my feet planted behind is the fact that Beck has some justification for seeing racism in this President, and he is not alone in that peception.

The larger principle here is whether Beck can be allowed to express that opinion without the Left descending upon him and attempting to destroy him. The larger principle here is the kind of people who would cheer on or defend a group attempting to destroy a talk show host because he dared to use the "R" word regarding the President. The larger principle here is your perception of the kind of people that Beck's comments would 'feed'--a perception that I in fact see as prejudiced, bigoted, ideologically unprincipled, and racist.

Does that make you a prejudiced, bigoted, ideologically unprinicipled racist? Not necessarily.

And I would object to anybody attempting to destroy you because you said it, no matter how stupid it was or how much I disagreed with it.

So what did you think of Dr. Sowell's comments on the subject?

And so, should Jesse Jackson have been criticized for saying this?:
"There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery -- then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved."

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 11:01 am
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
All I have my feet planted behind is the fact that Beck has some justification for seeing racism in this President, and he is not alone in that peception.

Because you perceive it as well. Don't hide behind Beck's skirts, Fox; admit that you view Obama as a racist and that this also makes you a racist, b/c anyone who sees racism in any situation is a racist. Right?

Quote:
The larger principle here is whether Beck can be allowed to express that opinion without the Left descending upon him and attempting to destroy him.

What principle shields makers of inflammatory statements from the repercussions of their statements? None whatsoever. The Dems are doing nothing wrong at all here; nobody is breaking any law or any principle. You just don't like it when your heroes are attacked, b/c it makes you feel attacked as well.

Cycloptichorn
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 11:02 am
@Cycloptichorn,
You didn't even listen to the clip did you, and you're not going to acknowledge how much you misrepresented it are you.
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 11:04 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclop, should Jesse Jackson have been criticized for saying this?:
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 11:04 am
@Foxfyre,
Quote:

So, should Jesse Jackson have been criticized for saying this?:

I will address this, even though it has nothing to do with the topic, just so you'll stop with the stupid smirking about how people are 'afraid' to talk about it.

I do not believe Jackson is being racist in any way saying this; he describes the feeling of relief as 'painful.' Having spent a lot of time in black neighborhoods, he probably deplores the level of street violence perpetrated by Black folks on others of their race and knows just how common it is. Unless he is somehow claiming that blacks are inferior, it's hard to see how you could claim this is racism.

I think it is the exact opposite, in fact; an honest assessment of his own inner feelings re: blacks and street crime.

Cycloptichorn
Diest TKO

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 11:06 am
@Foxfyre,
Boo hoo Fox.

People say things everyday and are held to it. They gain and lose respect for it. They face consequences for their choices. This isn't some authority moving in on poor little Glenn Beck, this is consumers using their power, and merchants using theirs as consumers themselves.

You aren't arguing for any principles here Fox. You're demanding entitlement: That you (or your surrogate Beck) can say whatever you want and must be respected for it. You're demanding that Beck not have to face any negative fallout from his speech.

Boo hoo Fox.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 11:08 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

You didn't even listen to the clip did you, and you're not going to acknowledge how much you misrepresented it are you.

I did watch it. I didn't mis-represent a single bit of it. In fact, the transcript above was Obama's exact words - not a single one was changed.

Perhaps you could be more specific as to what you feel was mis-represented? What a crock of ****.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 11:12 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

That's what I'm afraid of.

Quote:
The larger principle here is whether Beck can be allowed to express that opinion without the Left descending upon him and attempting to destroy him.

Live by the sword, die by the sword. This is the arena that Beck makes his living in. He's no victim.

Quote:
The larger principle here is your perception of the kind of people that Beck's comments would 'feed'--a perception that I in fact see as prejudiced, bigoted, ideologically unprincipled, and racist. Does that make you a prejudiced, bigoted, ideologically unprinicipled racist? Not necessarily.

Do your fingers get tangled when you write such things. What exactly are you talking about? (And that's the third time you've called me racist, only then to uncall me racist.)

Once again, Jesse Jackson remains irrelevant to this discussion. I haven't made any argument that anyone is racist. The only one to make such arguments are Beck and yourself. If you want to explore what constitutes your accusations of racism, that would be great, but I'm not involving myself in a racism test.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 11:19 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

The fact that he automatically related the incident as a racial matter and presumed to deliver a lecture about it speaks volumes.

He was answering a question that asked "what does [the incident] say about race relations in America?"
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 11:21 am
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

The fact that he automatically related the incident as a racial matter and presumed to deliver a lecture about it speaks volumes.

He was answering a question that asked "what does [the incident] say about race relations in America?"

Now that, is a great point, forgot to mention that earlier.

How dare that racist Obama directly respond to a question with on-topic analysis!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 11:23 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

So, should Jesse Jackson have been criticized for saying this?:

I will address this, even though it has nothing to do with the topic, just so you'll stop with the stupid smirking about how people are 'afraid' to talk about it.

I do not believe Jackson is being racist in any way saying this; he describes the feeling of relief as 'painful.' Having spent a lot of time in black neighborhoods, he probably deplores the level of street violence perpetrated by Black folks on others of their race and knows just how common it is. Unless he is somehow claiming that blacks are inferior, it's hard to see how you could claim this is racism.

I think it is the exact opposite, in fact; an honest assessment of his own inner feelings re: blacks and street crime.

Cycloptichorn

Okay you and I are in complete agreement on that. Given the much higher crime rates proportionately in the black community, it is not at all racist to fear black people in certain settings more than white people. And, while I am in no way a fan of the Rev. Jackson, I think he was being uncharacteristically honest in this particular statement. I think we all can agree that acknowledging a problem with crime among the black community is not a racist observation, and that is quite different than an opinion that black people are criminally inclined which would be a racist opinion.

Nobody can dispute that Professor Gates played the race card loudly and publically in that particular incident. And given the full context of the President's remarks, nobody can honestly dispute that his remarks referred to race and little else.

Again, right or wrong, Glenn Beck sees a racist component to Barack Obama and expressed that opinion. And there is no doubt that a leftist organization--the founder of whom is an advisor to Barack Obama, are attempting to destroy him because he expressed that opinion.

And there is no disputing that the same leftist organization has let slide and has not attempted to destroy people who have made far more inflammatory, hateful, and indefensible comments.

So support this assault on an American who exercised his right to free speech if you wish.

I will continue to see it as despicable and indefensible.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 11:28 am
@Foxfyre,
Fox, you stated that:

Quote:

Given that, as FD pointed out, the questioner asked Obama specifically what this event said about racial matters in America, do you still think it 'speaks volumes' that Obama responded to her question? That he discussed race in America when asked to do so? Should he just have said 'I don't know the facts (though clearly he knew some of them) and cannot discuss anything relating to race at all, period' ?

I ask, b/c this cuts right to the quick of you and Beck's accusations towards Obama.

I would add, that boycotts are neither new nor limited to the Dem party; they are a long-standing American tradition. The fact that people choose to boycott groups they disagree with, while ignoring firebrands on their own side, is just the Free Market working. If I want to not buy cars from a Republican, I am not responsible for every sin of the Democrats ever if I decide to do so.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies