Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 02:20 pm
@okie,

They are choosing GITMO over the Republic of Palau

http://www.exitscape.com/images/Republic_of_Palau.jpg
wandeljw

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 03:42 pm
Quote:
SC governor's whereabouts unknown, even to wife
(BY JIM DAVENPORT, Associated Press, June 22, 2009)

The lieutenant governor doesn't know, and neither does a state senator who's a close confidante. Even Gov. Mark Sanford's wife is in the dark.

Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer said he's been told the governor's staff is in contact with the second-term Republican, but Sanford's wife said she hasn't heard from him in several days, including Father's Day.

"He was writing something and wanted some space to get away from the kids," Jenny Sanford told The Associated Press while vacationing with the couple's four sons at their Sullivans Island beach house. She said she didn't know where he was, but wasn't concerned.

Sanford, who's also chairman of the Republican Governors Association, earned a reputation as the nation's most vocal anti-bailout governor by refusing $700 million in federal stimulus money for schools until he lost a court battle earlier this month.

His spokesman Joel Sawyer released a statement saying the governor was taking a break after losing the fight.

"Gov. Sanford is taking some time away from the office this week to recharge after the stimulus battle and the legislative session and to work on a couple of projects that have fallen by the wayside," Sawyer said.

Sawyer wouldn't say where Sanford was or confirm that he knew the governor's whereabouts himself. Law enforcement officials who handle his security also declined to comment. After releasing the statement, Sawyer didn't immediately respond to further questions about whether Sanford was keeping in touch with staff.

Sanford typically is open about his whereabouts, and his office makes no secret of time spent on vacation or out of state.

But politicians, including the lieutenant governor, said they did not know Sanford was taking time away from his office.

State Sen. Tom Davis, a Beaufort Republican, Sanford confidante and former chief of staff, said his calls to Sanford were going straight to voice mail. Calls from The Associated Press to the governor's cell phone also went to voice mail.

Bauer said he didn't know where Sanford was but said he had not been put in charge.

Bauer spokesman Frank Adams said he had been told Sanford chief of staff Scott English was in touch with the governor. "They assure they know where he is," Adams said.

English did not immediately respond to a message left seeking comment.

Sen. Jake Knotts, a Lexington Republican and a persistent Sanford critic, said the state needs to know where its governor is.

"The way things are in the world today and homeland security, we need the governor to be fingertips away," Knotts said. "Somebody's got to be in charge."
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 03:44 pm
@wandeljw,
They just found him, as reported by the Drudge Report. I'm convinced his wife and staff and the Lt. Governor knew his whereabouts all along but were giving him protection for some away time.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 04:20 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Better meals, health care, and other amenities. Most guys down there gained weight and were looking much better than when they arrived. Only a dummy would want to go someplace worse!
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 04:21 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

H2O MAN wrote:

Better meals, health care, and other amenities. Most guys down there gained weight and were looking much better than when they arrived. Only a dummy would want to go someplace worse!

So, why don't we see Conservatives flocking to take vacations at Club Gitmo, if it's so nice?

My guess is, the soul-crushing nature of the confinement there, and the fact that the conditions probably aren't as nice as you make out.

Cycloptichorn
okie

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 04:32 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I don't want to go to Palau either, cyclops. But if Obama gets his National Security Force, you will probably sign up and help him send all conservatives to a re-education camp at Gitmo or someplace like it. That would be no surprise at all.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 04:42 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

I don't want to go to Palau either, cyclops. But if Obama gets his National Security Force, you will probably sign up and help him send all conservatives to a re-education camp at Gitmo or someplace like it. That would be no surprise at all.

What makes you think I would do something like that? Do you honestly believe that of me, and other Liberals - that we're looking to oppress you out of existence?

I only ask, b/c that's a horrible thing to accuse someone of wanting to do. A little twisted on your part.

Cycloptichorn
genoves

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 06:01 pm
It is clear that Cyclops, in his liberal island paradise of Berkeley knows NOTHING about GITMO or the countries that do not want to take the former prisoners or THE CONDITIONS THAT THE prisoners lived in at GITMO.

Note:

Wanted: A home for Gitmo detainees. No takers? Font Size: Decrease Increase Print Page: Print Janet Albrechtsen Blog | May 31, 2009 | 111 Comments

REPORTS that Kevin Rudd is considering a request from US President Barack Obama to resettle in Australia 17 Muslim Uighurs from China held in Guantanamo Bay raises some interesting questions all round.

Whenever John Howard agreed to a request made by George W Bush, the Left went apoplectic, complaining that the then Australian Prime Minister was behaving like a lap dog for the then US President. Remember the cartoons? Remember the protestors depicting Howard as a dog with its nose up the backside of Bush? Recall the accusations of Howard, the deputy sheriff, diminishing Australia’s national interest?

It was cheap symbolism that never even pretended to understand the importance of alliances or the nature of real-politik. To the chagrin of those who prefer to taint everything that Bush did as wrong, Howard understood the importance of the US alliance and no doubt some of his decisions, though unpopular, were taken to secure a longer term pragmatic path that reinforces Australia’s alliance with the US. Had Howard taken detainees from Guantanamo after a request from Bush, we would have heard plenty about Howard, once again, playing deputy sheriff to Bush.

But if Rudd agrees to Obama’s request and takes some of the Guantanamo detainees who have been found not to be enemy combatants, will we hear the same shrill cries from the Left about Rudd, the lackey of the US President?

Probably not. Hypocrisy is the order of the day. Indeed, the contortions and twisted logic on show about Guantanamo Bay generally should be subjected to some kind of blow-into-the bag hypocrisy measure where we calculate inconsistency on a scale of one to ten.

Here, for example, is an episode of mid-range hypocrisy. The 17 Uighurs have not been sent back to China because US authorities fear they will be tortured or executed by Chinese authorities who regard the men as terrorists. When Australia was asked by Bush to take the Uighurs from Guantanamo Bay but refused to do so after being lobbied by Beijing, one would have expected at least a few shrieks from the Left about Australia kowtowing to China, a country with little respect for human rights. Right? Wrong. Only silence.

Registering as high-range hypocrisy are the US Democrats who demanded that Guantanamo Bay be shutdown yet have not been too eager to offer their states as home to detainees. It’s worth repeating the choice words of a few of them mentioned last week. Democrat senator from Montana, Max Baucus said: “We’re not going to bring al-Qa’ida to Big Sky Country.” Nebraska’s Democratic senator Ben Nelson said: “I wouldn’t want them and I wouldn’t take them”; and Dianne Feinstein’s Democrat office in California said: “Alcatraz is a national park and a tourist attraction, not a functioning prison.”

Notice how easy it is to say “shut down Gitmo”, but how hard it is to say “bring the detainees home to us”. Those in Europe who were the biggest blowhard opponents of Guantanamo Bay have also lost their tongue. Gitmo is a first-class lesson in reality biting.

Now comes an even trickier question. How do we measure the hypocrisy of those countries, such as Australia, that said no to a request from Republican George W. Bush to take detainees and are now considering how to respond to a similar request from Democrat President Obama. If they say yes to Obama, having said no to Bush, they surely rise to the top of the hypocrisy class. If they say no to Obama, they at least get marks for being consistently hypocritical by demanding Gitmo’s closure but refusing to take any of the inmates. We await the Prime Minister’s decision.

0 Replies

genoves

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 06:07 pm
Cyclops must be thinking of the conditions in SanFrancisco when he moans about treatment of prisoners. Somehow, he has mistaken the Gitmo prisoners, who,as the article below attests, havn't done too badly for prisoners of war( Cyclops probably never read about the treatment of our GI's by the Japs in World War II)

Here is the truth about GITMO.

By The Continuous News Desk

Published: June 22, 2009

BY ROGER BROWN
BRISTOL HERALD COURIER

As Republican U.S. Rep. Phil Roe walked the grounds of the controversial Guantanamo Bay prison in Cuba on a recent visit, he said he was reminded of another time and place " some 36 years ago and 7,900 miles away.

“I thought about the conditions I had when I was serving on an Army base in Korea " around 1973,” Roe said. “And, frankly, the conditions at Guantanamo Bay were a whole lot better than what I had” in Korea.

“It’s much better, much more upscale, than what people would think from listening to the news media,” Roe said of the Guantanamo facility. “That’s why I felt it was important for me to go: To see for myself.”

During an interview with the Bristol Herald Courier, the Johnson City Republican said his Guantanamo Bay visit, as part of a seven-member congressional group, strengthened his belief that President Barack Obama should not rush to close the prison. Obama vowed to do so during his 2009 presidential campaign.

Since 2002, the facility has been holding various prisoners from Afghanistan and other battle spots. It currently has an estimated 240 prisoners.

“I would recommend that before the President closes Guantanamo, he come down and take a look at it himself,” Roe said. “It’s no different than an American prison.”

A freshman congressman and former longtime doctor, Roe said he saw nothing at Guantanamo to support claims that prisoners had been poorly treated " either physically or mentally.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 07:23 pm
@genoves,
You can go **** yourself! You ignorant bastard!
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 09:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,

cice girl, anger management classes are in your future.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 09:38 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

okie wrote:

What makes you think I would do something like that? Do you honestly believe that of me, and other Liberals - that we're looking to oppress you out of existence?

I only ask, b/c that's a horrible thing to accuse someone of wanting to do. A little twisted on your part.

Cycloptichorn

Well, thanks for the non-combative answer. I did make a bold statement. I do not know you at all, but what I do know here on this forum, I perceive you as probably a decent person, but you have totally bought into the leftist agenda in this country. As a political movement, I honestly do very much think it is a very dangerous movement, far more dangerous than anything coming from the right. The reasons I believe that are many, but I just sum it up by saying the left is very angry, they want what others have, and they will go to almost any lengths to obtain power and the things they want, and once that power is obtained, they are not going to give it up easy. Obama came along and knew how to play into this mindset and fool enough people with his mantra of change. Remember, leftists believe in big government and a very powerful government, and the rights of individuals are to be trampled at the expense of their perceived good of the whole.

I have been thinking about Obama's security force for the past few days since I recalled it. Why would Obama want a National Security Force that is "just as strong, just as powerful, and just as well funded as the military?" Is the man goofy? Did I make that up? No, he said it, he must believe it. Does he know how much we spend on the military and the true capability of it? Again, is this man goofy? Is he deranged? I have to question the sanity of anyone that would propose such a thing. Yes, I have finally been compelled to come to the conclusion I did not want to believe, I think Obama truly is a very very dangerous man, and I sincerely hope for the good of this country we can get rid of him next election, and I sincerely hope we survive it until then. If he screws up bad enough, maybe he could be impeached, but there is no sentiment for that now.

You asked my honest opinion. I gave it to you. I don't think you believe you are that dangerous, and you aren't, but you are supporting a very dangerous movement that could end up in very troubled waters. That is my honest opinion. I hope my fears are exaggerated, perhaps they are, but some things really bug me, the security force is one. And really, Obama is not a very open person. I do not feel he is giving us his true self when he presents himself to us. As a personality, at first I found him likable, but as time progesses, he is a bit creepy in terms of his agenda and the way he cloaks everything he does. I hope I am totally wrong. And even if I am right, I am still betting the system, the checks and balances will prevent him from doing everything he wants to do. I certainly hope so.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 09:54 pm
@okie,
What a joke! okie should be the one looking in the mirror; he's the epitome of the extremist conservative who sees more than anybody else on this planet about this presidency. He doesn't need historians, economists, or political scientists; he's already determined that all of Obama's presidency is a failure after six months in office.

Talk about a kook!
okie

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 10:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

What a joke! okie should be the one looking in the mirror; he's the epitome of the extremist conservative who sees more than anybody else on this planet about this presidency. He doesn't need historians, economists, or political scientists; he's already determined that all of Obama's presidency is a failure after six months in office.

Talk about a kook!

I am not the kook that proposed a national security force that is just as strong, just as powerful, and just as well funded as the military. I am not the kook that is increasing the federal deficit with unprecedented spending that has never been matched in the history of the world. I am not the kook that has a tax cheat running the IRS. I am not the kook that claims to have the most transparent administration ever that doesn't. I am not the kook that promised no lobbyists, but has many, and I am not the kook that routinely appoints big donors of his to top jobs. I am not the kook that listened to Jeremiah Wright for years ranting about whites, rich people, and Jews. I am not the kook that learned his political strategy from Saul Alinsky in Chicago.

I could add more, but I hope you get the drift, ci.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 12:41 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
So, why don't we see Conservatives flocking to take vacations at Club Gitmo, if it's so nice?

Tell me, what US military bases allow civilians to vacation on them?
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 05:30 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

What a joke!

Yes you are!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 07:34 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Tell me, what US military bases allow civilians to vacation on them?

For instance the U.S. Army Garrison (USAG) Garmisch, Artillery Kaserne.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 07:50 am
@Walter Hinteler,

That's some wake up call!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 07:56 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You can go **** yourself! You ignorant bastard!

Nicely put. Succinct and to the point.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 08:09 am
@joefromchicago,

How very liberal of you cice girl.
0 Replies