AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 04:03 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Quote:
Incorrect. The police have to be in the process of making an arrest for that to come into play; that is to say, they have to have a pre-existing reason to enter the building in the first place. They cannot simply enter buildings and search for evidence at will. A 'protective sweep' refers to situations in which there is a large percentage chance of danger being posed to the officers; this excludes all but a few situations.

If the police are making an arrest in an apartment building, they can, under the "protective sweep" ruling, search other units in that building without a warrant.

Only if they can show good reason to believe that the other units pose some sort of danger to them; they can't just make an arrest in 2A and enter 2B for fun.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 04:15 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
I also don't believe much in the sanctity of life of any sort

This is actually a rather telling (and sad) comment on your part.
If you really dont believe in the sanctity of life, then you have no honest objection to the death penalty, do you.
You also would have no objection to murder, suicide, or any other types of killing of other people.

Tell me, since you dont believe in the sanctity of life, you would have no problem with your own family being killed.
After all, their lives mean nothing to you.

And why are you objecting to the "innocent people" being killed in Iraq or Afghanistan?
After all, their lives arent important either.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 04:26 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Quote:
I also don't believe much in the sanctity of life of any sort

This is actually a rather telling (and sad) comment on your part.
If you really dont believe in the sanctity of life, then you have no honest objection to the death penalty, do you.

Of course I do! It is ineffective and does not accomplish the purpose that it sets out to do. My main objections are utilitarian in nature, not moral.

Quote:
You also would have no objection to murder, suicide, or any other types of killing of other people.

See above. I object to these things for a variety of practical reasons, but not because I believe in some inherent morality of the universe.

Quote:

Tell me, since you dont believe in the sanctity of life, you would have no problem with your own family being killed.
After all, their lives mean nothing to you.

I have personal connections just like everyone else, and I would be saddened and angry if this happened; but not because I believe that all human life is inherently sacred, instead, because of the loss to myself and my family.

Quote:
And why are you objecting to the "innocent people" being killed in Iraq or Afghanistan?
After all, their lives arent important either.

See above. It serves no practical purpose to kill innocents.

Your whole post was basically nothing but one big Appeal to Extremes. That is a Logical Fallacy and you should recognize that.

Cycloptichorn
Debra Law

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 04:34 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Quote:
Until a fetus is viable - that is to say, until it can live outside the womb - it isn't alive; it is a part of the mother's body.

I asked you to clarify this once before, and you dodged the question.
But since you brought it up again, I'll ask again.

Since we know that a fetus, if born at 7 months, can survive outside the womb.
So, according to your argument, it is viable and has rights.
Now, if that same fetus is carried to term, are you actually saying that it has no rights?
Are you saying that its also a matter of when a baby is born?

Once potential life becomes VIABLE (capable of living outside the womb), then the STATE has an interest in protecting potential life. But potential life doesn't have any rights secured by the Constitution until it is actually BORN.
ican711nm

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 04:34 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
As I personally don't believe in God, I also don't believe much in the sanctity of life of any sort; it seems mostly to me to be a defensive tool created by the minds of men in order to justify their continued existence in a harsh world.

Let's agree for the sake of argument that the sanctity of life of any sort is merely--and not mostly--a defensive tool created by the minds of men in order to justify their continued existence in a harsh world.

Therefore, you conclude or recommend WHAT?
mysteryman

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 04:35 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Your whole post was basically nothing but one big Appeal to Extremes. That is a Logical Fallacy and you should recognize that.

No, I dont believe it was.
You said that you dont believe in the "sanctity of life" so why do you care if anyone gets killed or how they get killed?
And if life isnt sacred to you, then you should have no objection to any type of death, under any circumstances.

Since you do have objections to unneeded deaths, or since you do oppose the death penalty, for whatever reason you want to believe, it shows that you do believe in the "sanctity of life".
You can try and convince yourself that you dont, but your own statements show that to not be true.
Debra Law

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 04:39 pm
Justice Scalia was interviewed by Leslie Stahl, 60 Minutes. Here's what he said:

"What is the connection between your Catholicism, your Jesuit education, and your judicial philosophy?" Stahl asks.

"It has nothing to do with how I decide cases," Scalia replies. "My job is to interpret the Constitution accurately. And indeed, there are anti-abortion people who think that the Constitution requires a state to prohibit abortion. They say that the Equal Protection Clause requires that you treat a helpless human being that's still in the womb the way you treat other human beings. I think that's wrong. I think when the Constitution says that persons are entitled to equal protection of the laws, I think it clearly means walking-around persons. You don't count pregnant women twice."

0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 04:39 pm
@Debra Law,
Quote:
Once potential life becomes VIABLE (capable of living outside the womb), then the STATE has an interest in protecting potential life.

But that then requires you (and everyone else) to admit that an unborn fetus DOES have the right to life.
And since preemie babies are surviving after being born earlier and earlier, where do you draw the line?
And do we then agree that ANY abortion done after the first trimester is intentionally killing "potential life" and should not be allowed.
Debra Law

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 04:41 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

If the police are making an arrest in an apartment building, they can, under the "protective sweep" ruling, search other units in that building without a warrant.

Please provide the link to the United States Supreme Court case that verifies your statement.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 04:42 pm
@ican711nm,
ican711nm wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
As I personally don't believe in God, I also don't believe much in the sanctity of life of any sort; it seems mostly to me to be a defensive tool created by the minds of men in order to justify their continued existence in a harsh world.

Let's agree for the sake of argument that the sanctity of life of any sort is merely--and not mostly--a defensive tool created by the minds of men in order to justify their continued existence in a harsh world.

Therefore, you conclude or recommend WHAT?

Your question is too vague to provide a meaningful answer; please clarify.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 04:44 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Quote:

No, I dont believe it was.

Most people who commit logical fallacies don't believe they did.

Quote:
You said that you dont believe in the "sanctity of life" so why do you care if anyone gets killed or how they get killed?
And if life isnt sacred to you, then you should have no objection to any type of death, under any circumstances.

Because of the reasons I listed, of course. There are reasons to care about things other than appealing to some sort of innate and undefinable 'sanctity of life.'

Quote:
Since you do have objections to unneeded deaths, or since you do oppose the death penalty, for whatever reason you want to believe, it shows that you do believe in the "sanctity of life".

You are incorrect. My reasons are practical in nature, not quasi-mystical, as yours seem to be.

Quote:
You can try and convince yourself that you dont, but your own statements show that to not be true.

No, they don't. I'm afraid you are quite far off base here.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 04:46 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Quote:
Once potential life becomes VIABLE (capable of living outside the womb), then the STATE has an interest in protecting potential life.

But that then requires you (and everyone else) to admit that an unborn fetus DOES have the right to life.

No, it doesn't. I don't know how you are forming these logical chains in your mind, but you are screwing up somewhere along the way.

Quote:
And since preemie babies are surviving after being born earlier and earlier, where do you draw the line?

The SC handled this - up to the third trimester.

Quote:
And do we then agree that ANY abortion done after the first trimester is intentionally killing "potential life" and should not be allowed.

I most certainly don't agree with that. Exceptional cases don't mean that the average baby would survive outside the womb at an early age; you are discounting the huge number who do not survive.

Cycloptichorn
Debra Law

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 04:50 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Quote:

Please address the ENTIRE post:

Debra Law wrote:
Once potential life becomes VIABLE (capable of living outside the womb), then the STATE has an interest in protecting potential life. But potential life doesn't have any rights secured by the Constitution until it is actually BORN.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 04:50 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Exceptional cases don't mean that the average baby would survive outside the womb at an early age; you are discounting the huge number who do not survive.

Do you realize how callous that sounds?
A huge number of people dont survive cancer (all types), so lets not do anything to try and save them.

Thats exactly what you are saying.
That lifesaving attempts should only be based on overall numbers, like a business.
We shouldnt try to save any individual from something that others have died from.

If you truly believe that then there is no realistic or rational way to continue this discussion with you.
Diest TKO

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 04:59 pm
@mysteryman,
?

We still try to save the premature babies, we still try to save the cancer patients. The point here is that saying that a very early premie has survived after the very helping hand of science is not a good standard for viability. You're trying to compare apples and oranges.

If you want a realistic and rational argument, you need to be realistic and rational.

T
K
O
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 04:59 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Quote:
Exceptional cases don't mean that the average baby would survive outside the womb at an early age; you are discounting the huge number who do not survive.

Do you realize how callous that sounds?
A huge number of people dont survive cancer (all types), so lets not do anything to try and save them.

Thats exactly what you are saying.

Actually, that's not what I'm saying at all. Once again your logical chains are really really poor.

Quote:
That lifesaving attempts should only be based on overall numbers, like a business.
We shouldnt try to save any individual from something that others have died from.

Appealing to Extremes again, another logical fallacy.

Quote:
If you truly believe that then there is no realistic or rational way to continue this discussion with you.

Luckily, you are correct, and I don't believe the things you wrote.

Tell ya what. Why don't you just stick to discussing what I've actually written, instead of Appealing to Extremes and putting all sorts of horrible and stupid statements into my mouth? Thanks.

Cycloptichorn
mysteryman

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 05:02 pm
@Diest TKO,
Quote:
The point here is that saying that a very early premie has survived after the very helping hand of science is not a good standard for viability.

Cancer patients have after the very helping hand of science.
Burn victims have after the very helping hand of science.
Wounded soldiers have after the very helping hand of science.

The list goes on.
Should we not help other because it took science to save them?
mysteryman

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 05:05 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Why don't you just stick to discussing what I've actually written,

You said that you DONT believe in the "sanctity of life".
Therefore, no life is important to you and how or if people die means absolutely nothing to you.

So, I am simply giving you examples and asking for your opinion.
old europe

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 05:13 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:
The point here is that saying that a very early premie has survived after the very helping hand of science is not a good standard for viability.

Why not? That seems to be the very definition of "viability".
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 05:16 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Quote:
Why don't you just stick to discussing what I've actually written,

You said that you DONT believe in the "sanctity of life".
Therefore, no life is important to you and how or if people die means absolutely nothing to you.

No, no, no. You are incorrect. You are Appealing to Extremes, again. I've already told you twice that you are incorrect on this issue. This is the third time. My lack of belief in an innate sanctity of life has nothing to do with life itself meaning 'absolutely nothing' to me, which is an untrue statement.

Do you have an inability to comprehend that this is true, or something?

Cycloptichorn

0 Replies