AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

wandeljw

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 12:37 pm
Sorry for interrupting the current topic of discussion. I want to share a response to a question I posted on the American Thinker website:

Quote:
John of Chicago Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am having trouble deciding whether Robin's story
> is authentic or an exercise in creative writing.
> She has characterized herself with a collection of
> liberal stereotypes: living in Berkeley, a
> psychotherapist by occupation, raised in New York
> City, a father who was a Jewish immigrant, and
> other details about her life.

John, I heard someone of the same name and same story on a local radio program before the first of Robin's AT pieces appeared. She definitely didn't sound like someone reciting a script.

Robin essentially admits that her bio looks stereotypical. Somebody crafting a literary fiction would probably have tried to avoid an obvious stereotype.

But perhaps you don't realize how much of Berkeley IS one big stereotype--how much conformism there is among those who purport to be celebrating "diversity." Many longtime denizens of Berkeley come across as self-parody.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 12:40 pm
@wandeljw,
What a joke. Just another person who likely has never spent any real time here.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 12:42 pm
@wandeljw,
Quote:
She definitely didn't sound like someone reciting a script.

Well, then . . . that clinches it, doesn't it? No bout adoubt it . . .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 12:43 pm
@Setanta,
Citing from Plante v. Gonzalez C Thomas (575 F.2d 1119, United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit. June 30, 1978.)
Quote:
Americans have a constitutional right to privacy. The right springs from several of the Bill of Rights amendments, and is incorporated in the due process protected by the fourteenth amendment.(12) Griswold v. Connecticut, 1965, 381 U.S. 479, 85 S.Ct. 1678, 14 L.Ed.2d 510. Academic discussion of a right to privacy dates at least to the common law arguments of Louis Brandeis and Samuel Warren in 1890. Brandeis and Warren, The Right to Privacy, 4 Harv.L.Rev. 193 (1890).(13) The volume of commentary has increased geometrically since then.(14) Yet, "(t)he concept of a constitutional right of privacy still remains largely undefined". Kurland, The Private I, The University of Chicago Magazine 7, 8 (Autumn 1976), quoted in Whalen v. Roe, 1977, 429 U.S. 589, 599 nn.24, 97 S.Ct. 869, 51 L.Ed.2d 64. In Whalen the Court made an effort to unsnarl some of the tangled strands of privacy.

Footnotes:
Quote:

12. Some justices have seen privacy protected by the ninth amendment. See Griswold v. Connecticut, 1965, 381 U.S. 479, 484, 85 S.Ct. 1678, 14 L.Ed.2d 510 (Justice Goldberg concurring, joined by Chief Justice Warren and Justice Brennan). This seems to be a distinction without a difference. "This right of privacy, whether it be founded in the Fourteenth Amendment's concept of personal liberty and restrictions upon state action, as we feel it is, or, as the District Court determined, in the Ninth Amendment's reservation of rights to people, is broad enough to encompass a woman's decision whether or not to terminate her pregnancy." (emphasis added). Roe v. Wade, 1973, 410 U.S. 113, 153, 93 S.Ct. 705, 727, 35 L.Ed.2d 147

13. Justice Brandeis has been quoted over a 38 year period by parties on both sides of this question. His 1890 article marshalled common law support for an expansive right to privacy. But see Pratt, The Warren and Brandeis Argument for a Right to Privacy, 1975 Public Law. 161. Twenty-four years later, in a series of articles published during congressional consideration of what became of the Clayton Act, he advocated public disclosure of corporate financial arrangements in a passage which may have given this Amendment its name

"Publicity is justly commended as a remedy for social and industrial diseases. Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants; electric light the most efficient policeman."

L. Brandeis, Other People's Money and How the Bankers Use It 62 (1914). Fourteen years later, in Olmstead v. United States, he dissented from a decision approving wiretapping, characterizing privacy as "the right to be let alone the most comprehensive of rights and the right most valued by civilized men". Olmstead v. United States, 1928, 277 U.S. 438, 478, 48 S.Ct. 564, 572, 72 L.Ed. 944.

14. A far from exhaustive list of the excellent articles and books in this area includes Gerety, Redefining Privacy, 12 Harv.Civ.R.-Civ.L.L.Rev. 233 (1977); Henkin, Privacy and Autonomy, 74 Colum.L.Rev. 1410 (1974); Bloustein, The First Amendment and Privacy: The Supreme Court Justice and the Philosopher, 28 Rutgers L.Rev. 41 (1974); A. Westin, Privacy and Freedom (1967); and, generally, XIII Nomos (1971)
Setanta

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 12:46 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
What you have here is your basic piling on . . . hey . . . where'd Okie go?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 12:47 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

So you agree that there is no 'executive privilege?' That was 'made up' in entirely the same fashion you claim the right to privacy is.

Cycloptichorn

I am no lawyer, cyclops, but that has to do, I think, with separation of powers between the branches of government, including what those branches have the power to do, as granted by the constitution, so to say it is not in the constitution, I don't think that is a good analogy.

The right to privacy, if used in the same way, then how can anyone be arrested in their homes for drug use, or in the commission of crimes? The pertinent point is not the right to privacy, but the legality of killing the unborn. The way I see it, it has nothing to do with the right to privacy. Sure, people have a right to privacy as long as they are obeying the law. But it is the interpretation of the law as it relates to abortion, not privacy, that determines the legality of abortion. If the right to privacy was pertinent, it could be used to negate almost any crime, that is my opinion, which makes more sense than a twisted Surpreme Court decision. I just think the legality or illegality of abortion must hinge upon something besides the right to privacy. That makes no sense, and I think a good many constitutional experts agree with me. It was a bad precedent, and poor constitutional argument.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 12:50 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

So you agree that there is no 'executive privilege?' That was 'made up' in entirely the same fashion you claim the right to privacy is.

Cycloptichorn

I am no lawyer, cyclops, but that has to do, I think, with separation of powers between the branches of government, including what those branches have the power to do, as granted by the constitution, so to say it is not in the constitution, I don't think that is a good analogy.

Sorry, but the words 'executive privilege' don't exist in the Constitution, and there's not even a direct argument for it laid out in the enumerated powers. It was simply interpreted to be so because a need was seen for such an interpretation.

Privacy is exactly the same. Your argument against privacy works equally well against any other laws interpreted from the Constitution.

Quote:
The right to privacy, if used in the same way, then how can anyone be arrested in their homes for drug use, or in the commission of crimes?

I don't think you can be arrested in your home for drug use; possession, probably. And the police don't have the right to storm your house looking for drugs without previous evidence, surely you realize this?

Quote:
The pertinent point is not the right to privacy, but the legality of killing the unborn. The way I see it, it has nothing to do with the right to privacy. Sure, people have a right to privacy as long as they are obeying the law. But it is the interpretation of the law as it relates to abortion, not privacy, that determines the legality of abortion. If the right to privacy was pertinent, it could be used to negate almost any crime, that is my opinion, which makes more sense than a twisted Surpreme Court decision. I just think the legality or illegality of abortion must hinge upon something besides the right to privacy. That makes no sense, and I think a good many constitutional experts agree with me. It was a bad precedent, and poor constitutional argument.

Well, if you want to argue RoevWade, that belongs in another thread, likely. But the right to Privacy is about a lot more than that.

Cycloptichorn
Setanta

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 12:52 pm
@okie,
You can't arrest someone in their home for drug use, unless you have a warrant to enter, or unless the police enter while in pursuit of someone suspected of fleeing the scene of a crime. The courts have been very liberal, too, in the interpretation of those circumstances under which the police may enter a private residence. There is no privileged sanctuary--if you are observed by the police in the commission of a crime, or in an activity which a reasonable person would interpret as the commission of a crime, they have the right to pursue to apprehend, including the right to enter your domicile without a warrant.

Your ignorance is astounding for someone who is so opinionated.
okie

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 01:02 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I don't really wish to argue Roe v Wade, but even Roe realizes she made a big mistake. Common sense trumps the Roe v Wade decision, and I think alot of people realize it and admit it.

To summarize my opinion, if cops have good evidence of drug use, they can make search and seizure. The issue is drug use, not the right to privacy, the right to privacy does not trump laws against drugs, or any other crime, nor should it against abortion, no difference, this seems to me to be a clear and close parallel, proving the decision was very poor, in fact, totally wrong, and in fact - manufactured to come to a decision desired, not dictated by the constitution.

The right to privacy should relate to justification for search, seizure, etc., not whether some act or behavior is legal or not. It is a totally misplaced reason for determining the legality of abortion.

I believe the constitution was written for common people to understand. We should not have to be lawyers to be correct on it most of the time, if common sense is applied. I realize constitutional experts study it their entire lives, but certain common principles should be easily understood.

In regard to "executive privilege," maybe not those words in the constitution, but the essence of those words, the separation of powers, is in the constitution, as it lays out what the branches of government have the power to do.
okie

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 01:04 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

You can't arrest someone in their home for drug use, unless you have a warrant to enter, or unless the police enter while in pursuit of someone suspected of fleeing the scene of a crime. The courts have been very liberal, too, in the interpretation of those circumstances under which the police may enter a private residence. There is no privileged sanctuary--if you are observed by the police in the commission of a crime, or in an activity which a reasonable person would interpret as the commission of a crime, they have the right to pursue to apprehend, including the right to enter your domicile without a warrant.

Your ignorance is astounding for someone who is so opinionated.

What you just point out about crimes, arrests, warrants, etc. is totally supporting my argument here. I don't know what your problem is?
Setanta

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 01:06 pm
@okie,
A claim on your part that i'm supporting your "argument" (hilarious contention there) is just more evidence of how little you understand of this conversation.
Setanta

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 01:08 pm
@okie,
Quote:
To summarize my opinion, if cops have good evidence of drug use, they can make search and seizure.

That may be your opinion, but it isn't the opinion of any court. Upon providing probable cause that contraband is to be found within a house, they can apply for a search warrant. They're not going to be able to get one just by alleging to a judge that they're pretty sure someone in the house is using drugs.
okie

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 01:10 pm
@Setanta,
You are very much supporting my argument. The right to privacy, or justification of search and seizure, the need for warrants, etc. do not relate to the legality of drug use. You made that point well.

Nor should it relate to the legality of abortion, and that is my argument.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 01:12 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Quote:
To summarize my opinion, if cops have good evidence of drug use, they can make search and seizure.

That may be your opinion, but it isn't the opinion of any court.

I suppose, in some countries run by dictators such might be possible.

And certainly the behaviour of a certain administration might have rubbed off to some ...
okie

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 01:16 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Then how do all those druggees end up in prison, Walter?

Feel free to expound to your heart's content. After all, you must be an expert on the law and how it works here?

And apparently an expert on dictators as well?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 01:19 pm
You're hopelessly out of your depth here. It does not matter how illegal any activity is, nor the possession of any contraband, the police cannot enter a private residence without obtaining a search warrant, or unless they are in pursuit of someone fleeing the scene of a crime. If they do, any evidence they acquire in that manner is not admissible in court.

There is little point in continuing to discuss this with someone who so clearly doesn't understand the principles involved.

There is absolutely no basis in the constitution for a claim of executive privilege--neither is such a claim prohibited. Nixon's attempt to use the claim to prevent the transcripts of his White House tapes from being sent to the Senate's Watergate committee failed utterly. He was left to the shift of attempting to cover himself with the idiotic claim about Rose Mary Woods erasing 18 minutes of the tapes accidentally, and that still didn't save him. There is no part of the constitution which mentions separation of powers. It is only inferred from the first three articles--and nothing in them supports a contention that the constitution directly grants executive privilege.

You'd do yourself a great favor by actually reading the constitution, and making a sincere effort to understand it, rather than just attempting to filter it through what you would like to believe.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 01:20 pm
@okie,
Quote:

I believe the constitution was written for common people to understand.

Um. What leads you to believe this? The writers of the Constitution didn't even think the 'common person' should vote, let alone understand the legal underpinnings of our nation. Hell, the common person couldn't even read back when it was written, or at least many of them could not.

Cycloptichorn
okie

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 01:22 pm
@Setanta,
You are hopelessly missing the point, while you keep reinforcing my argument. As I said, and you keep pointing out, right to privacy or protection against unreasonable search and seizure does not determine legality of a behavior.
Setanta

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 01:26 pm
@okie,
I've never said that a right to privacy does determine the legality of a behavior. But it does determine the actions which the police can legally take in an attempt to apprehend someone in an illegal activity or in the possession of contraband.

You can bet that nothing i've written supports your argument. I don't see any evidence that you have an argument, because your remarks have to do with claims about illegal activities, and abortion is not illegal.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 01:27 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

You are hopelessly missing the point, while you keep reinforcing my argument. As I said, and you keep pointing out, right to privacy or protection against unreasonable search and seizure does not determine legality of a behavior.

The right to privacy precludes the State from making decisions affecting a woman's body. Certainly you don't want the Obama government deciding whether or not you should have an operation done, based on their opinion of the morality of that operation; do you?

If not, then you support the rationale that makes abortion legal in America, plain and simple.

Cycloptichorn