AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

okie

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 10:33 am
Foxfyre wrote:

Oh I know Okie. I just think when you run up against an intractable brick wall there comes a time to stop trying to run through it. Diest is not going to admit he was wrong and, as you point out, other liberals are not likely to take him to task for the error. So, he will continue to divert by taking offense at imaginary affronts and will continue to believe that it is conservative bullies beating up on him while not having to admit he was wrong about anything. And he feels free to commit the very crimes of which he accuses others.

Meanwhile CJ, as our intentionally maverick CJ is wont to do, makes an outrageous statement about Muslim teachers which gives the liberals license to dispute an assertion that saying a marble is red does not mean that all marbles are red.

This kind of dynamic encountered between you and Deist and this latest issue plus the trolls who drop in purely to make a snotty remark or deliver a personal insult is what makes having any kind of productive discussion so darn difficult.

I don't intend to give up trying just yet, however.

Well, this apparently can be put to rest for a while. I hope you achieve what you are intending for this thread. I find your opinions so reasonable and common sense. Thanks for your efforts.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 10:44 am
Cyclo - If you in anyway validate the ambiguity of the controversy, you are apparently a pathetic liberal who will defend other liberals to the grave. It's not about my side or their side, it's about their side and not their side. If you aren't in concert with their view, then you are against them. It doesn't matter if you validate both arguments, they don't want to be right, they want me to be wrong.

This rhetorical strategy is used frequently by the conservative gang here on A2K. Like I said, better to use your brain to punch holes in their content, rather than their style.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 10:54 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
ehBeth wrote:
okie wrote:
I think I demonstrated something for anyone that is intellectually honest, that a liberal will cling to any belief, no matter how wrong it can be demonstrated to be. I have a feeling it is a religious thing or something. And as cyclops demonstrated, and as others seemed to indicate, they all defend a fellow liberal, no matter how wrong and how obviously wrong they are.

Apparently Set and I aren't liberals when it comes to language Laughing

I noted your comment on the subject, but it was way too subtle for Deist to pick up on I think. And I can't be sure, but my past experience causes me to think that if Deist was a conservative, the comment would almost certainly not have been anywhere near as subtle.

Translation: even in the face of countering evidence, I still stubbornly maintain my original position.

You will note, Fox, that I said:

Quote:

Both of you are correct, the word contend can be used in several ways.

I didn't take sides.

Cycloptichorn

If you said Deist is correct in the way he used the word, you took a side.

What part of

Both of you are correct

is too advanced for you to understand?

Perhaps you are confused as to what 'taking a side' means...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 10:56 am
Diest,

Quote:
It doesn't matter if you validate both arguments, they don't want to be right, they want me to be wrong.

You hit the nail on the head with this one.

And really, the whole thing is quite revealing about the nature of Republican politics in America today: not interested in compromise or even really in logic, only interested in victory. It's reflected in their Iraq stance, their taxation stance, their abortion stance - NO compromise is ever a good one, to modern Republicans.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 11:06 am
Diest TKO wrote:
Cyclo - If you in anyway validate the ambiguity of the controversy, you are apparently a pathetic liberal who will defend other liberals to the grave. It's not about my side or their side, it's about their side and not their side. If you aren't in concert with their view, then you are against them. It doesn't matter if you validate both arguments, they don't want to be right, they want me to be wrong.

This rhetorical strategy is used frequently by the conservative gang here on A2K. Like I said, better to use your brain to punch holes in their content, rather than their style.

T
K
O

Diest, the issue is the correct answer. You are so determined not to agree with me on anything that you will not acknowledge the correct answer. So apparently it is more about me than it is the correct answer, at least that is my evaluation of the whole thing. I am sure you won't agree.

Who we are is defined by the principles that we honor, not the other way around. None of us are so arrogant or so smart that we can claim to be right when the principle says otherwise. I hope you wake up to that someday.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 11:07 am
Okie and others who are biting their tongues right now, repeat after me:
I WILL NOT FEED THE TROLLS, ARGUE WITH IDIOTS, OR ENGAGE IN EXERCISES IN FUTILITY.

It does help a bit to repeat it several times.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 11:09 am
Don't waste our time.

T
Keep holding out the bait, I won't bite anymore.
O
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 11:10 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Diest,

Quote:
It doesn't matter if you validate both arguments, they don't want to be right, they want me to be wrong.

And really, the whole thing is quite revealing about the nature of Republican politics in America today: not interested in compromise or even really in logic, only interested in victory. It's reflected in their Iraq stance, their taxation stance, their abortion stance - NO compromise is ever a good one, to modern Republicans.

Cycloptichorn

I am not interested in compromising what is right, ci. Contrary to political correctness, which can't even give an F to a kid that flunks anymore. And I am not interested in saying it is okay to kill my offspring, no way, over my dead body, you are correct, cycolps, no compromise, and many people have given their lives for principles, one to abolish slavery. As Rush says, learn it, love it, live it. Principles mean something, cyclops, bigger than we are.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 11:11 am
Rush has officially been invoked in the thread.

[/Thread]
K
O
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 11:12 am
okie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Diest,

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

I am not interested in compromising what is right, ci. Contrary to political correctness, which can't even give an F to a kid that flunks anymore. And I am not interested in saying it is okay to kill my offspring, no way, over my dead body, you are correct, cycolps, no compromise, and many people have given their lives for principles, one to abolish slavery. As Rush says, learn it, love it, live it. Principles mean something, cyclops, bigger than we are.

First, I am not ci. That's Cicerone Imposter.

Second, a lack of willingness to compromise is the sign of a weak mind. Your absolutism will get you nowhere, for the real world is one big compromise, every day.

A willingness to compromise and find common ground IS a principle, and a far better one then most others.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 11:18 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
okie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Diest,

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

First, I am not ci. That's Cicerone Imposter.

My apologies, I caught it but not in time. My apologies to ci as well.

Quote:
Second, a lack of willingness to compromise is the sign of a weak mind. Your absolutism will get you nowhere, for the real world is one big compromise, every day.

Nonsense. Compromise is appropriate for many things, but is not appropriate for some things. There are some things we should never compromise. You make a blanket statement that is patently ridiculous on its face.

Quote:
A willingness to compromise and find common ground IS a principle, and a far better one then most others.

Cycloptichorn

For many things, yes, and for marriage being one example. But even in marriage, some things cannot be compromised, such as our own personal integrity and honor to name a couple of things. Another being our devotion to our spouse, I don't see where that should be compromised.

You are so full of it, cyclops, wake up.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 11:27 am
Building on Okie's immediately previous point:

Quote:
Who we are is defined by the principles that we honor, not the other way around. None of us are so arrogant or so smart that we can claim to be right when the principle says otherwise.

I think this is another cornerstone of Conservatism. My sense is that one of the reason Conservatives are so despised by many on the Left is because we can articulate a rationale for the principles that we honor, and that rationale can be stated WITHOUT referencing somebody else's principle or trying to diminish or tear down or destroy somebody else. We are hated because we have the strength of our convictions that we can defend on merit rather than on ideology alone.

We also see things in shades of poor, fair, better, adequate, best and try to make the best decision that is available to make rather than color everything in stark shades of black or white.

And when we cannot rationally support a principle, we usually are able to accept it as unworkable and can accept a different point of view, even accept a flip flop that is based on solid principle.

This is why conservatives who support McCain don't have to defend him in every aspect in order to support him. He is not anywhere near the first choice of you, me, many others, but we see him as a better choice than Obama probably is. We don't have to make of him a god or a messiah or bow down in worship to him in order to support him.

By contract, the unquestioning, adoring worship so many heap on Obama with every flaw excused or explained away is not only seen as immature or naive by many conservatives, but it is even unnerving and worrisome. Meanwhile many liberals can't stand for any of us to say anything in support of McCain. Despite the sophistry of some in lauding 'compromise', the only compromise acceptable by most liberals is conservatives caving in.

It is an interesting phenomenon to watch.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 11:31 am
Quote:

We also see things in shades of poor, fair, better, adequate, best and try to make the best decision that is available to make rather than color everything in stark shades of black or white.

Oh, really? Okie would disagree with you, on many issues, it would seem. He certainly doesn't see a lot of nuance.

And let us not forget the 'you're either with us, or against us' mentality embodied in your party.

Fox, I don't think you understand either modern Republicanism or Conservatism very well, for what you write is not what is practiced in real life. This may be YOUR definition but it is not what we see in actuality.

Quote:
Meanwhile many liberals can't stand for any of us to say anything in support of McCain.

Uh, no, we just don't see any of you supporting McCain Laughing it seems every single Conservative on the 'net says that he wasn't their first choice.

It's far easier for you to attack Obama then it is to pump up a guy who you don't really support, and so that has resulted in the situation we see today.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 11:38 am
You sure have been heavy with the sweeping generalities lately.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 11:40 am
McGentrix wrote:

I'm not the only one, McG. Or perhaps you were responding to Okie and FF, both of whom seem to have defined Conservative as 'everything good and honorable' and Liberal as 'whining and wrong?'

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 11:43 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

I'm not the only one, McG. Or perhaps you were responding to Okie and FF, both of whom seem to have defined Conservative as 'everything good and honorable' and Liberal as 'whining and wrong?'

Cycloptichorn

You say that like it isn't the truth.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 11:46 am
Or a sweeping generality. Smile
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 11:48 am
He sure has, McGentrix. To contradict cyclops, I do agree with most of what Foxfyre says, with one exception, there are some things that are black and white, I believe. Some things should not be compromised, but of course the course of action differs in regard to whether it is personal or if we are a member of a group, such as a governed group of citizens.

To expand on what Foxfyre says, conservative principles trump politicians. No politician is perfect, thus we don't have to worship McCain, he is just a man with ideas, some we agree with, some we don't. We support him, not as a God, but as a man, fallible, but one that we believe offers the best hope to advance the best policies and principles that we believe in. A conservative's religion is not his government, contrary to how many leftists may feel about their government. Therein lies a huge difference between conservatives and many liberals, the most extreme I am talking about.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 11:55 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

Oh, really? Okie would disagree with you, on many issues, it would seem. He certainly doesn't see a lot of nuance.

Okie and I do disagree on many issues and have had some good discussions on which we take opposite positions. That is another advantage we conservatives have. We don't have to march in lockstep in order to be conservative, nor do we have to agree on everything, nor do all of us have everything already figured out with no wiggle room to change our perspective.

Quote:
And let us not forget the 'you're either with us, or against us' mentality embodied in your party.

Unsupported and non sequitur.

Quote:
Fox, I don't think you understand either modern Republicanism or Conservatism very well, for what you write is not what is practiced in real life. This may be YOUR definition but it is not what we see in actuality.

Conservatism and Republicanism are not synonymous. Never have been. My definition of conservatism is my own. I think conservatives generally understand what conservatism is, however--that is why they are conservatives--so that each one could come up with his/her own list of the principles embodied in modern Conservatism in America. There would be some differences on those lists but we would be able to explain a rationale for every single item and would not have to denigrate a single soul to do so.

I could be very wrong, but I think the vast majority of liberals would be unable to do that.

Quote:
Quote:
Meanwhile many liberals can't stand for any of us to say anything in support of McCain.

Uh, no, we just don't see any of you supporting McCain Laughing it seems every single Conservative on the 'net says that he wasn't their first choice.

It's far easier for you to attack Obama then it is to pump up a guy who you don't really support, and so that has resulted in the situation we see today.[/QUOTE]

The very fact that McCain was not our first choice but that most of us will support him over Obama was discussed in some detail on the Obama thread yesterday. And I see no point in repeating all that except for these questions posed to you which you ignored.

Questions posted to Cyclops on 7/10/08
Quote:
What would be your best guess of the ratio of your posts criticizing McCain compared to your posts complimenting McCain? What you you estimate as the ratio of your posts criticizing Obama compared to your posts criticizing McCain? What would you estimate as the ratio of your posts criticizing Obama compared to your posts defending or advocating him?

I don't deny that Obama has not been heavily criticized. But rather than defend him with anything substantive, the usual tactic of his supporters is to either bring up McCain or say something entirely unsupportable by any evidence of fact or attempt to accuse/kill the messenger. There are a few exceptions to that syndome, but pretty darn few.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 11:55 am
okie wrote:
He sure has, McGentrix. To contradict cyclops, I do agree with most of what Foxfyre says, with one exception, there are some things that are black and white, I believe. Some things should not be compromised, but of course the course of action differs in regard to whether it is personal or if we are a member of a group, such as a governed group of citizens.

To expand on what Foxfyre says, conservative principles trump politicians. No politician is perfect, thus we don't have to worship McCain, he is just a man with ideas, some we agree with, some we don't. We support him, not as a God, but as a man, fallible, but one that we believe offers the best hope to advance the best policies and principles that we believe in. A conservative's religion is not his government, contrary to how many leftists may feel about their government. Therein lies a huge difference between conservatives and many liberals, the most extreme I am talking about.

Why is it that you get to generalize about the 'most extreme' liberals, yet we are not allowed to do so about the 'most extreme' conservatives?

Fox, I told you that Okie would disagree with the 'subtle nuance' bs that you wrote... there's not much gradation of thought in the Conservative ethos.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies