AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 05:39 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
In the U.S., can a couple that is already legally married have a marriage renewal ceremony in a church?
mysteryman

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 05:41 pm
@ehBeth,
yes
ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 05:47 pm
@mysteryman,
Ok, so then my followup question is - wouldn't it be possible to go the civil union route for everyone - and then let those who want to be married in religious ceremonies do that later/in addition? I know it's done in one province in Canada (the most religiously-based one, in fact), and it doesn't seem to have caused much, if any, upset over the past decades.
Diest TKO

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 05:53 pm
Does Fox believe sterile couples or couples that cannot reproduce should be ineligible for marriage?

T
K
O
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 05:57 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

Does Fox believe sterile couples or couples that cannot reproduce should be ineligible for marriage?

T
K
O

No, of cour... uh... shut up, liberal! You obviously do not understand the question/didn't read the thesis carefully/are looking to derail the thread/attacking me personally/are a duplicate of someone else.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 06:02 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
Marriage ... assumes the possibility of children being born.

I don't think it can be clearer that people who are known to be unable to have children can't get married using that definition.
ican711nm

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 06:11 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
wouldn't it be possible to go the civil union route for everyone - and then let those who want to be married in religious ceremonies do that later/in addition?

Yes, let every pair who wants to go the civil union route, do that.

Let every male and female pair who wants to go the civil union route and the marriage route, do that.

Let every male and female pair who wants to go only the marriage route, do that.

Let every pair who wants to go neither the civil union route or the marriage route, do that.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 06:19 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

I don't think it can be clearer that people who are known to be unable to have children can't get married using that definition.

Marriage does not assume that all who marry will have children, will choose to have children, will be able to have chilren, or should have children and there is no requirement or expectation that they do so. But marriage is the institution that has been designated as the most practical and satisfactory system devised for the bearing and rearing of children and produces the most satisfactory social environment for the children and the society responsible for their welfare. This has been the system for many thousands of years. There is no reasonable reason to change it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 06:22 pm
@Foxfyre,
What is the real standard by which "you people" are denying gays and lesbians marriage if there's no enforcement to have children by a man and a woman?

When you talk about the "institution of marriage," what kind of institution are you talking about? Over half get divorced, and not all "families" with children are ideal or good.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 06:24 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

Marriage does not assume that all who marry will have children, will choose to have children, will be able to have chilren, or should have children and there is no requirement or expectation that they do so. But marriage is the institution that has been designated as the most practical and satisfactory system devised for the bearing and rearing of children and produces the most satisfactory social environment for the children and the society responsible for their welfare. This has been the system for many thousands of years. There is no reasonable reason to change it.

Fine; allow gays to adopt, or to be artificially inseminated, and they can continue the tradition just the way you like it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 06:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
From the Daily Barometer:

Quote:
In between these two years the following things happened, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. The ratio of two-parent households in the U.S. fell from 81 percent to 71 percent (it actually only took until 1990 for this to happen); the proportion of children under 18 years of age living with one parent grew from 12 percent to 28 percent; the number of households run by unmarried, heterosexual couples increased from 523,000 to 4 million.

Is this the "institution" you're trying to protect? Don't forget, many couples with children never or rarely see their father (you've heard the term "absentee father," haven't you?).

From CNN:
Quote:
By Roland S. Martin
CNN Contributor

Editor's note: A nationally syndicated columnist, Roland S. Martin is the author of "Listening to the Spirit Within: 50 Perspectives on Faith" and "Speak, Brother! A Black Man's View of America." Visit his Web site for more information. He is hosting "No Bias, No Bull" at 8 p.m. ET on CNN while Campbell Brown is on maternity leave.

Roland Martin says fathers across America are failing their children by shirking their responsibilities.

(CNN) -- "I'll kill all y'all."

Imagine looking at the man whose DNA you carry standing in your home, telling you those chilling words, as he wields a shotgun.

The frightening image is a scary thought. But according to former Major League Baseball star Darryl Strawberry, it was an actual scene, one that begins his book, "Straw: Finding My Way."

I vividly remember the towering home runs hit by the former star, who played for four big league teams, including the New York Mets and Yankees -- and of course, the many times he was in the news for failing drug tests, beating wives, getting cancer twice, going to prison. He was a man fighting enormous demons.

Yet as I read the book, there is one consistent theme that runs throughout and that sheds a spotlight on a figure that continues to plague neighborhoods all across the country: the missing-in-action father.

Strawberry makes a point repeatedly in "Straw" that he does not blame his dad for the trials and tribulations in his life; he says all decisions he made willingly. But he does speak to the issue of having a father who, by Strawberry's account, while technically in the house, was a raging drunk who spent his paycheck doing what he wanted, showing no love and affection towards his children, viciously beating Strawberry and his brother, all while telling them that they would be nothing in life.

0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 06:37 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
You don't have free speech in the private sector. Should you, say, criticize your employer, he or she can kick your butt out of the job.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 06:38 pm
@Advocate,
No, he can't.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 07:08 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

You don't have free speech in the private sector. Should you, say, criticize your employer, he or she can kick your butt out of the job.

i'm not sure what you are getting at.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 07:32 pm
@old europe,
How's that gay marriage going over there in the EU? You guys all aboard on that then? One big happy group of gays getting married then? Oh, wait, only 5 countries in Europe have legalized same sex marriage. Hmmmm... what's the hold up? Aren't you guys supposed to be "enlightened" and stuff?
McGentrix

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 07:38 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

http://www.alabamawildlife.org/uploadedFiles/PH01935J.jpg

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 09:11 pm
@old europe,
oe, the primary objection I have with legitimizing a behavior as a civil right, a behavior that is viewed as wrong by a good many people, this opens the door to the government making sure that organizations and businesses sanction this behavior. Churches for example, will they be required to approve of the behavior? Will they be prohibited from teaching that homosexual acts are wrong? Will schools be required to teach this behavior as normal, with our tax dollars, to our children, against our will? These and many more questions are pertinent.

Also, we don't know if its nature or nurture, or a combination of both, but we do know that behavior is a choice, that much we know. I am opposed to discrimination against anyone as a person, but I am opposed to forcing people to sanction every behavior as if it is equivalent to a civil right. Thats what the whole gay marriage thing is about, it is about more than just the marriage issue, it is about much more.

Back to the indians, the two spirit reference was interesting, but that isn't talking about the behavior, so if you can cite for me a tribe that allowed homosexual activity going on in the tepees or dwellings on a regular basis, please cite for me the evidence.

You talk about the impact of religion on laws, that is exactly correct. In fact, we would have no laws whatsoever if we did not have a moral code deriving from a religious tradition. To deny this is just silly, but many liberals do just that. All you have to do is read the old Testament law, and you will recognize many of the principles embodied in our laws.

And would you please knock off the "phobia" references. That term is utterly ridiculous, although it has made it into common usage. Nevertheless, it is a total and absolute misnomer, not proper usage of the term.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 09:43 pm
@okie,
Quote:

Also, we don't know if its nature or nurture, or a combination of both, but we do know that behavior is a choice, that much we know.

Oh, really?

So, think back to your youth and teenage years. Were you attracted to both men and women? Were you confused about how you felt, sexually, and made a choice to be straight? Please be honest.

If the answer is no, then maybe you can understand a little bit how gay and lesbian folks feel about their lives. If you don't feel like you had a choice about your sexuality, why do you presume others have a choice about theirs?

Quote:

And would you please knock off the "phobia" references. That term is utterly ridiculous, although it has made it into common usage. Nevertheless, it is a total and absolute misnomer, not proper usage of the term.

Why should they? You don't hold back with your opinions. Why do you expect others to?

Cycloptichorn
okie

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 10:18 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I wasn't confused, but I think there have been those that are until a certain age, while others seem to indicate they were always that way. I can't read their minds. Others have renounced the lifestyle and claim to have changed. I don't know if all of those are legitimate, but at least some I think are, at least I take them at their word. I tend to think there is a gradational area between the two, each person I am sure is different in various respects.

But all of that is beside the point. You may be attracted to the same sex, but that is far different than the consummation of it. As human beings, many apparently have all kinds of desires that may not always be profitable or condoned by society to act upon, and many could claim that they were born with alot of them. Can we demand society or government give us a license to do them, I don't think that follows good constitutional reasoning. So simply having a nature to do something doesn't indicate that the behavior deserves the status of a civil right.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 11:37 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

How's that gay marriage going over there in the EU? You guys all aboard on that then? One big happy group of gays getting married then? Oh, wait, only 5 countries in Europe have legalized same sex marriage. Hmmmm... what's the hold up? Aren't you guys supposed to be "enlightened" and stuff?

You're correct: the first legally recognized same sex marriage happened in Europe.

And until now, only Spain, Belgium, Sweden and Norway followed the Netherlands.
In these countries, the legal status of same-sex marriage is exactly the same as that of opposite-sex marriage.

Others (Andorra, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Luxembourg, Portugal, Slovenia, Switzerland and the United Kingdom) have regulations bringing same sex "unions" (given various names according to national registry laws) close or "very close" to it.
0 Replies