AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 05:27 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
I understand what Sowell is failing to prove.

T
K
O

Not if you describe it as gerrymandering you don't. Unless you don't know what gerrymandering is.

You are digging a hole you can't climb out of. You insult my intelligence, by telling me that I am "incapable of understanding" Sowell's thesis and now you are doing it again with the word "gerrymander."

Sowell is not the first to make philosophy on patriotism, and even in his extraordinarily bad way, he is not unique in his ideology. I'm unimpressed with his ideas, but I'll allow you an opportunity to give you own instead of defending his.

Do this for me. Pick an American that you think signifies what a patriot is, and we'll hold them up against the glass. Tell me about them, and why you choose them. I want your words, no cut and paste. How about that? Is that fair?

T
K
O
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 05:28 pm
Thomas wrote:
Frankly, dear, I don't give a damn about what you regret. Thanks for the thought, though.

How's that pledge of yours not to participate in any more politics threads working out for you?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 05:42 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Frankly, dear, I don't give a damn about what you regret. Thanks for the thought, though.

How's that pledge of yours not to participate in any more politics threads working out for you?

Like abstinence for a dry alcoholic. There's always one more last bottle.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 05:58 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
I understand what Sowell is failing to prove.

T
K
O

Not if you describe it as gerrymandering you don't. Unless you don't know what gerrymandering is.

You are digging a hole you can't climb out of. You insult my intelligence, by telling me that I am "incapable of understanding" Sowell's thesis and now you are doing it again with the word "gerrymander."

Sowell is not the first to make philosophy on patriotism, and even in his extraordinarily bad way, he is not unique in his ideology. I'm unimpressed with his ideas, but I'll allow you an opportunity to give you own instead of defending his.

Do this for me. Pick an American that you think signifies what a patriot is, and we'll hold them up against the glass. Tell me about them, and why you choose them. I want your words, no cut and paste. How about that? Is that fair?

T
K
O

Thomas Sowell is a patriot. Descended from slaves and born into very modest means, he grew up and completed most of his early schooling in inner city New York during segregation--yes he was in a segregated school. By virtue of his exceptional school record he received a scholarship and was admitted into the prestigious Stuyvesant (sp)highschool as a gifted student but he is no stranger to the difficulties of being a black man in a nation still shaking off the final formal remnants of racist policies. His subsequent military service and the GI bill and a lot of different jobs enabled him to go to college and earn a PhD. He has done hard menial labor giving him experience he considers invaluable and he has taught college. And in addition to his syndicated column that he has been writing for decades, he has written numerous books on economics and race and history, many of which should be required reading in every American university.

He loves this country and understands what has made it the great nation that it is. And he has a grasp of world history that enables him to see the dynamics at work in the rise and fall of nations and why some succeed so well while others fail so miserably. He sees himself as an American first and all that used to mean. And while he can appreciate and admire accomplishments in and by other nations, he does not see other nations as somehow being more noble or virtuous or better than the USA.

He also knows our wrinkles and warts and flaws and shortcomings and has written about these extensively along with what he sees as the remedies for them. But he believes the USA is worth defending and fighting for and protecting against all enemies, domestic and foreign.

Okay, there's my example.

Your turn.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 11:59 pm
Foxfyre - Okay, whatever, I gave you a door out from Sowell, but you choose to sit. That's your prerogative. Before I go any further, I'd like to address one thing you said which is inflammatory.

Foxfyre wrote:
...a nation still shaking off the final formal remnants of racist policies.

This is still going on. You think we are rid of racist policies?

Okay, moving on. As far as my turn goes, I already gave you my example: MLK. I'll expand though, as to why I think he is a patriot. To me, it is because MLK had zero delusions about his country, and that loving his country didn't men lying about it being the best. Loving his country meant taking care of it and it's citizens.

There will never be a means to declare the USA as the greatest nation in the world. To do so, is a waste of time. MLK did more for the USA by fighting against it's injustice than he would have defending it's name and saying it's the greatest nation on the planet. We certainly have all the tools needed to make ourselves the greatest if someday a means to measure such a thing appears. That by itself is not enough though. If we are ever to be the greatest, it won't just be what we do, but how we do it.

A war on terror is meaningless, if we inspire the same kind of terror we aim to fight.

I think it's funny that Sowell's articles attack the school system he went through and still produces his views. I stand by my original statements, Sowell's article is poorly done. As a writer he had a responsibility to defend his own words by addressing the counter point. Poor rhetoric without support.

The skinny is this, there are patriots across this nation and I resent the idea that somebody feels the need to define something that many experience in such a way to disqualify them.

There are patriots that feel the best thing for the country is to embrace many international ideas. The best idea doesn't have to be "American Made" before we try it. That's stubborn, and dangerous.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 08:04 am
Diest TKO wrote:
Foxfyre - Okay, whatever, I gave you a door out from Sowell, but you choose to sit. That's your prerogative. Before I go any further, I'd like to address one thing you said which is inflammatory.

Foxfyre wrote:
...a nation still shaking off the final formal remnants of racist policies.

Okay, moving on. As far as my turn goes, I already gave you my example: MLK. I'll expand though, as to why I think he is a patriot. To me, it is because MLK had zero delusions about his country, and that loving his country didn't men lying about it being the best. Loving his country meant taking care of it and it's citizens.

There will never be a means to declare the USA as the greatest nation in the world. To do so, is a waste of time. MLK did more for the USA by fighting against it's injustice than he would have defending it's name and saying it's the greatest nation on the planet. We certainly have all the tools needed to make ourselves the greatest if someday a means to measure such a thing appears. That by itself is not enough though. If we are ever to be the greatest, it won't just be what we do, but how we do it.

A war on terror is meaningless, if we inspire the same kind of terror we aim to fight.

I think it's funny that Sowell's articles attack the school system he went through and still produces his views. I stand by my original statements, Sowell's article is poorly done. As a writer he had a responsibility to defend his own words by addressing the counter point. Poor rhetoric without support.

The skinny is this, there are patriots across this nation and I resent the idea that somebody feels the need to define something that many experience in such a way to disqualify them.

There are patriots that feel the best thing for the country is to embrace many international ideas. The best idea doesn't have to be "American Made" before we try it. That's stubborn, and dangerous.

T
K
O

You, a master of unsupported (and supportable) statements presume to criticize Sowell for writing poorly and not supporting his thesis? Please show your published work syndicated through hundreds of newspapers who apparently think he writes quite well. Please show your 41 books written on education, economics, race, ethnicity, history, and assorted subjects for which you have not had a problem finding a publisher eager to get them. And then consider whether Thomas Sowell writes so poorly.

I have never said that MLK was not a patriot. Nor did MLK ever attempt to belittle or demean his country or suggest that it was inferior to other countries. Like Sowell he had the ability to see his country as it was, with the good and the bad, and as a citizen could and did criticize without tearing it down. Some of MLK's words:

Quote:
"The spirit of Lincoln still lives; that spirit born of the teachings of the Nazarene, who promised mercy to the merciful, who lifted the lowly, strengthened the weak, ate with publicans, and made the captives free. In the light of this divine example, the doctrines of demagogues shiver in their chaff.

America experiences a new birth of freedom in her sons and daughters; she incarnates the spirit of her martyred chief. Their loyalty is repledged; their devotion renewed to the work He left unfinished. My heart throbs anew in the hope that inspired by the example of Lincoln, imbued with the spirit of Christ, they will cast down the last barrier to perfect freedom. And I with my brother of blackest hue possessing at last my rightful heritage and holding my head erect, may stand beside the Saxon--a Negro--and yet a man!"

. . . . .And from his "I Have a Dream" speech:

Quote:
". . . .I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed - we hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal.

This will be the day, this will be the day when all of God's children will be able to sing with new meaning "My country 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing. Land where my fathers died, land of the Pilgrim's pride, from every mountainside, let freedom ring!". . . ."

These are not the words of a man who throws the baby out with the bathwater any more than Sowell does. MLK was not fighting against his country but was fighting for a principle. If you had bothered to actually read what Sowell is saying, he sees what is every bit as clearly as did MLK, and is as specific in the wrongs that he has seen and sees.

Both were/are Conservatives to the core which allowed/allows them the freedom to not have to tear down in order to see what can be built up. They don't have to blind themselves to what is right in order to declare what is wrong. Neither saw it necessary to demonize anything or anybody in order to state what needs to be fixed, corrected, improved, changed, or remedied. Both loved their country.

Sowell criticizes the school system that is NOT the school system that produced his views. In his writings you will see how much he appreciates the education he received. It was about 20 or 25 years or so ago that he went back to study the test scores of his segregated inner city New York school in the 1940's and compared those with the white kids' school in the same neighborhood. He found that some years the white kids did a bit better in this or that subject and some years the black kids did a bit better in this or that but overall the results were comparable. He in no way is arguing for segregation as an acceptable or good thing; he is only recognizing that he was not disadvantaged in any way in the education he received.

He strongly argues now that the present day public schools are not educating kids anywhere near as competently. And he sees that after 40 years of liberalism in education, the black kids have been especially disadvantaged for a number of reasons.

To illustrate how you, a young liberal, so often misinterpret what you see, hear, and read:

I commented that Sowell saw ". . . .a nation still shaking off the final formal remnants of racist policies."

And your response:
Quote:

First, I didn't say that. But since you failed to see what I was saying in that context, perhaps you could enumerate what racist policies remain?

What did the 13th, 14th, 15th, and 24th Amendments and Civil Rights Act miss?

I agree that there are some racist policies remaining, but what remains are all out of the liberal playbook however inadvertently they are intended to be racist.

Sowell was all grown up when those last two amendments and the Civil Rights Act happened. He has seen the good of tearing down artificial barriers and he has seen the reality of consequences of tearing down great black institutions with them. He in no way condones slavery in ANY form and to this day speaks out against it, yet he can appreciate how he himself has benefitted because somebody dragged his ancesters over here in a slave ship which allowed him to be born an American and now be a free man with no artificial or any other barriers to his potential or opportunities. He can recognize the evils of slavery without feeling like a victim himself.

Sowell can understand the principles behind affirmative action and forced bussing and all the other policies that have been implemented to address inequities due to racism. And he is intelligent and honest enough to also see the downside of those things.

Sowell and MLK were contemporaries less than six months apart in age. Both descended from slaves and grew up under segregation. Both had to sit in the back of the bus. MLK's life was cut short, but he would have seen Thomas Sowell as a shining example of a free man with a clear vision of what was and what the efforts of hundreds of thousands of people have accomplished by throwing off the shackles of racism. And he, like Sowell, would have proclaimed "Free at last".

You see MLK was a conservative which means to be able to separate history from present day and to conserve what is good even as you change what must change. And conservatives are generally able to stop fighting a war after it has been won and go about the business of taking advantage of the victory. Liberals, however, too often seem to insist that the war continue and refuse to move past it and move on. When repairs have been made, conservatives can enjoy the fruits of their labor. Liberals keep wringing their hands and bemoaning the fact that it was broken.

Thomas Sowell understands that. Most liberals don't.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 09:27 am
Without reading everything here, does Diest realize MLK was a Republican?

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1693196/posts
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 09:52 am
okie wrote:

Sadly, Diest seems to be a product of the education system that Sowell criticized for its ideological social engineering and distortion of history and the ramifications inherent in that. He criticizes Sowell's point of view even while he demonstrates the accuracy of it.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 10:20 am
Foxfyre wrote:
okie wrote:

Sadly, Diest seems to be a product of the education system that Sowell criticized for its ideological social engineering and distortion of history and the ramifications inherent in that. He criticizes Sowell's point of view even while he demonstrates the accuracy of it.

1) If patronizing BS is why nobody takes you seriously. Attacking my age is a most cowardly ad hominem. If I'm too young to understand things, then you are too old and out of touch with hat is happening in this world. In short, shame on you.
2) I am fully aware of MLK's politics. In fact I chose him in part because of them, and the nature of the dialog in this thread. Where as he was a conservative, and it makes modern conservatives look pathetic.

I have been more than generous and patient with the sewage you spill, and I'm getting to the point where your insults are testing even my limits.

You nor Sowell have yet to illustrate how in any way beyond simply just asserting that our schools don't promote patriotism. That's called unsupported, and I can give a damn for how many books and papers he's written, because you posted one that wasn't backed up.

What Sowell and you fail to address is that if anything is poisoning the well; if anything is decreasing our citizen's spirit of loyalty and love for this country it's having to watch what it does, or in many cases what it fails to do.

Don't lecture me on patriotism. Your brand is ignorant and stubborn. I don't need some self righteous asshole or his cheerleader telling me what patriotism is. I've seen greater patriots combing my campus getting people involved in the process, rather than trying to make them feel like they are not in touch.

T
K
O
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 10:27 am
Do not mistake zealots for patriots, Diest.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 10:30 am
okie wrote:
Do not mistake zealots for patriots, Diest.

I make a clear distinction. It's the zealots that don't. Fox should tread carefully.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 10:31 am
Okay Okie. Please be the judge. Can you find anything in my posts that references Diest's age?

One of the phenomenon that Sowell has noted elsewhere is that the liberal who cannot find any way to attack the message will attack the messenger as well as restate so as to distort what the message is.

In a way, there are components of that in Sowell's essay that I posted in which history is being rewritten and restated into a new image convenient to the liberal mindset.

So Diest invites me to describe a patriot to discuss which is now revealed as a ploy to attack me and my point of view. I long for a truely intelligent and honest liberal who can actually discuss a subject without this kind of rewriting of the text which is exactly what Sowell was deploring.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 11:02 am
Foxfyre wrote:
...you, a young liberal, so often misinterpret what you see, hear, and read...

The use of the adjective is unnecessary. It's obvious you have contempt for all things liberal, but to add that I'm young is only meant to infantilize me. Have some dignity.

T
K
O
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 11:07 am
I don't really see anything that you wrote to attack his age, Foxfyre. I haven't read all recent pages, but it seems to me Diest should be able to provide a quote if there is one.

In regard to Sowell, Sowell is well accomplished, well written, and a solid spokesman for conservatism and freedom. I would recommend Diest read his book, Basic Economics.

And Diest, what do you have to say about MLK being a Republican?

But really, Foxfyre, I have pretty much given up on debating Diest. We once got into a discussion about the meaning of the word, "contend," I believe that was the word, and he had the meaning totally wrong, like about 180 degrees off, and would never admit he was wrong.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 11:10 am
Diest TKO wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

The use of the adjective is unnecessary. It's obvious you have contempt for all things liberal, but to add that I'm young is only meant to infantilize me. Have some dignity.

T
K
O

Well, there is the quote I suppose. How is that any different than being an old fuddy duddy conservative, Diest? Lighten up. Age does usually bring more maturity to political views, and it also offers more historical perspective. Those that have lived through several administrations should be able to compare them more accurately and in a more balanced manner.

Age is not a ticket to accuracy, but it does offer one more of many resources to forming good opinions.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 11:16 am
okie wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

T
K
O

Well, there is the quote I suppose. How is that any different than being an old fuddy duddy conservative, Diest? Lighten up. Age does usually bring more maturity to political views, and it also offers more historical perspective. Those that have lived through several administrations are able to compare them more accurately and in a more balanced manner.

Age is not a ticket to accuracy, but it does offer one more of many resources to forming good opinions.

I suppose Diest will now say that he has not described himself as young. Rolling Eyes

The reference however was to contrast one educated in the system Sowell criticizes as opposed to the system that existed when Sowell was in school. I probably should have made that more clear. Okie being perhaps a bit older than 'young' was able to see that, but perhaps it would be asking too much of the young?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 11:29 am
Okie writes
Quote:
But really, Foxfyre, I have pretty much given up on debating Diest. We once got into a discussion about the meaning of the word, "contend," I believe that was the word, and he had the meaning totally wrong, like about 180 degrees off, and would never admit he was wrong.

You're probably right. Every now and then I've seen a glimmer of hope that he actually does comprehend a thesis and can focus on it sufficiently to articulate a competent opinion or theory about it, and that is what keeps me engaged. But those occasions are rare. Usually it comes down to what we see here where he mostly resorts to non sequitur, obfusication and diversion and becomes more and more personally belligerant and insulting as a discussion progresses. And he is so quick to take offense and indignantly protest mostly non existent affronts, I suspect at times he is a liberal female. Smile (I was guilty of a bit of that when I first started on A2K but I've developed skills to avoid that pitfall at least most of the time now.)

Ah well. At least I thought the topic interesting.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 11:34 am
The two of you discussing the failures of someone is akin to a ringing endorsement of that person, in fact. Laughing

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 10:02 pm
okie wrote:

Going out on a limb here, but it's a fairly strong branch, from what I've seen, he might well not have been wrong.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 01:02 am
okie wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

T
K
O

Well, there is the quote I suppose. How is that any different than being an old fuddy duddy conservative, Diest? Lighten up. Age does usually bring more maturity to political views, and it also offers more historical perspective. Those that have lived through several administrations should be able to compare them more accurately and in a more balanced manner.

The difference is that I don't waste mine your anyone else's time calling someone old and fuddy-duddy. It's irrelevant. As I get older, I do not doubt that my opinions will become more refined. What you imply however is that to be liberal is simply a juvenile world view and that had I your experience I would see it your way; a conservative way. The thing is about experience, is that there is always somebody with more of it than you. Tell me, would you abandon your opinions or for that matter even tolerate being talked to the way you address me from someone who had more life experience than you? I don't think so. If you have as much experience as you claim, you will know one thing that you learn very young, and that is that no great idea goes unchallenged. If that is the case, and I'm just some young whipper-snapper, then perhaps we are simply going through the motions. however, it's not my ideas you challenge, it's the fact that I challenge your ideas at all. As if it is unfathomable that a person of my life experience could even dare question you or your mentors or your experience.

If your views are so solid as you advertise them to be, you would not act so indignant to the idea of challenge. If they were so solid and mine were simply the naive misunderstandings of the world, then my words would simply break on your experience like waves on the cliff side.

I'm looking to be challenged too. I'm disappointed at what you conservatives came to offer. The truth is that I've met better liberals who made me defend my beliefs than this lot.

I've admitted to being young, but I've never initiate that topic. If I am addressed as being young, I have the choice to ignore, or accept. I accept I am young. Young only in context however. "Young" as it is being used in the context by foxfyre is meant to imply more than age and it is without dignity.

By the way okie, you don't want to go there with the "contend" bit again. I have the dictionary (multiple at that) on my side, and I had source after source to back it up. You and your fellows liked to scoff and roll your eyes at it but it was definitive (pun intended). Go ahead and make a fool of yourself if you want to though.

Remember, there's always someone with more experience, ready to shoot your idea down. Even you two. Perhaps, you forget how you would like to be treated, given that circumstance.

In short: Grow up.

T
K
O
0 Replies