AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

mysteryman

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 04:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That argument doesnt work.
If you CHOOSE to use drugs, you knowingly and willingly accept the risk that you will become addicted.

So, if you are addicted, nobody forced it on you, you CHOSE it for yourself.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 04:55 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Quote:
It is very difficult to distinguish between people who choose their situations, and those who do not. I don't know how you guys would propose we do this.

Are you serious?
If someone is a drug addict, they CHOSE to be.
If a woman is on welfare, and has more kids after she starts getting money, its because she CHOSE to.

The solution is simple.
If you are on welfare, we will pay benefits for the kids you have now.
But if you CHOOSE to have more kids, we will NOT pay any more benefits, nor will we pay your medical bills.

I agree with this, and what more, in TX I believe that this is the current law. But it's not always so easy as you propose... situations are more complicated then these cut-and-dry scenarios.

Quote:

If you are a drug addict, you are on your own.
You CHOSE to become an addict, you CHOSE to start using drugs, so you CHOSE to accept the consequences.

Hmm.

My uncle was addicted to Morphine after an operation he had thanks to an injury in the service. He struggled for years with it, the doctors who originally treated him kept him way too juiced for way too long on the stuff. Probably 20 years of his life were spent as a drug addict (and a loving father and husband who did no wrong to anyone) b/c of what he suffered back then. Not that cut-and-dry.

Hell, even Limbaugh was addicted to pain meds. It sneaks up on you. People don't set out to become addicted to stuff. I agree that personal strength is necessary and people should take responsibility for their situations. But let us not pretend that everyone who has a drug addiction is some sort of weak-willed fool who brought it on themselves through irresponsible behavior.

Quote:
If you apply for welfare and cannot produce documents that show you are here legally,you do not get any help.
After all, you CHOSE to violate the law, so you CHOSE to accept the consequences.

I agree with this completely.

Quote:
Notice the highlighted word.
It all comes back to personal responsibility.
I have no problem helping those that truly need it, but if they CHOSE to put themselves in the position of needing it, they are on their own and get no help at all.

This is true. But it's not always easy to tell who made the choices in question.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 04:58 pm
@mysteryman,
Do you enjoy your foot in mouth disease? Read Cyclo's post just below yours.
mysteryman

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 04:59 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Your uncle did not choose his addiction.
Remember what I wrote...
Quote:
but if they CHOSE to put themselves in the position of needing it

However, the junkie on the corner that refuses to get help and that is happy with his addiction did CHOOSE his addiction.
The stock broker that uses cocaine to try and stay awake chooses his addiction, etc.
Debra Law

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 05:00 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
. . . . I don't think that things necessarily have to be done in 'the most efficient way.' Redundancy is also a great part of how things should be done. As an example, I would point out that the Government of America has been undertaking various projects to improve the place for well over 200 years now; what private company has or will be doing things for that long?

The Government undertakes projects which cannot be profitable; how many private investors would sink money into something which will never return a profit, or generate income?

Cycloptichorn

Excellent points. After all, if efficiency was the goal of government, why would our founders create three branches of government with a cumbersome (and often times inefficient) system of checks and balances? Perhaps we can find a clue in Bush's statement: "If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator."
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

@mysteryman,
Here: I also found an article on drug addiction that you should read, because it's quite evident you have no knowledge about drug addiction.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/closetohome/science/index.html
mysteryman

@cicerone imposter,
Now read my response,and then take the foot out of your own mouth.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 05:03 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:
However, the junkie on the corner that refuses to get help and that is happy with his addiction did CHOOSE his addiction.

You should stay away from commenting on mental health issues that you have no professional understanding of, and apparently haven't even read the pop science literature about.

mysteryman

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 05:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
From your link...

Quote:
Today, scientists and physicians overwhelmingly agree that while use and even abuse of drugs such as alcohol and cocaine is a behavior over which the individual exerts control, addiction to these substances is something different. Scientists have begun to understand why addicted people may sacrifice everything that's important to them -- their jobs, their families, their homes -- in the quest for a chemical fix.

That supports what I am saying.
If you dont do the drugs, you have no chance of becoming an addict.
If you CHOOSE to do the drugs, you knowingly and willingly accept the fact that you can become an addict, you CHOOSE to take that chance.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 05:05 pm
@mysteryman,
mm, You're still missing the whole point; are you always so obtuse?

Let me put it another way; have you ever smoked or drank alcohol?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 05:06 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

mysteryman wrote:

You should stay away from commenting on mental health issues that you have no professional understanding of, and apparently haven't even read the pop science literature about.

I only can agree.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 05:08 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

From your link...

Quote:
Today, scientists and physicians overwhelmingly agree that while use and even abuse of drugs such as alcohol and cocaine is a behavior over which the individual exerts control, addiction to these substances is something different. Scientists have begun to understand why addicted people may sacrifice everything that's important to them -- their jobs, their families, their homes -- in the quest for a chemical fix.

That supports what I am saying.
If you dont do the drugs, you have no chance of becoming an addict.
If you CHOOSE to do the drugs, you knowingly and willingly accept the fact that you can become an addict, you CHOOSE to take that chance.

The quote you provided does not support your uninformed opinion. The quote specifically states that addiction is something DIFFERENT from behavior over which an individual exerts control.
mysteryman

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 05:13 pm
@Debra Law,
But if you dont do the initial behavior (using drugs), you have no chance of becoming addicted.

Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Thats why I say that an addict CHOOSES to become addicted (in most cases)

Now, if you can provide some evidence that shows that someone that never used drugs became addicted to them, I will look at it.

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 05:18 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:
I'm sorry, but bike lanes in Albuquerque do not benefit America as a whole.

Sure they do. And why not? Having desirable infrastructure installed in the country benefits the country as a whole.

It's like claiming that improving your kitchen doesn't make the entire house better. Of course it does! Logically you could extend this and say, 'well, how does improving your NEIGHBORS' kitchen make things better?' But of course it does, it improves the neighborhood itself; as home values rise, all of your property becomes more valuable.

Well, I accept that you believe that, but in order to convince me, you're going to have to justify that one with me than a simple 'because I say so'.

If I remodel my kitchen when what I really needed was a second bathroom or landscaping in order to increase the marketability of my house, I haven't helped myself or added to the value of the house. My next door neighbors have actually been doing a wholesale renovation of their place, inside and out. That hasn't added a single dime to the value of my house. If the city has the choice of giving all us homeowners on our block a chunk of money for upgrades, they might get applause, but then doesn't have the money to maintain the sewer system or replace the city trash truck that wore out or upgrade the power grid, that would be a poor use of taxpayer resources.

So who is the best judge of what we on our block most need? The city employees who are responsible for the infrastructure and the homeowners with responsibility to pay their mortgages, taxes, insurance, utilities, and maintance costs? Or the federal government?

And, if the federal government gives the city a community grant to allocate as it sees fit, and there isn't enough to go around, who will likely get that money? Those with the greatest need? Or those with the most power to influence and fund the next election? For that matter, which communities do you think will get those federal grants? Those with the greatest need? Or those with the most power to keep those in Congress and the White House in power?

Quote:
Quote:
For me it comes down to the most efficient and effective way to get something accomplished and I think most things are better accomplished by other than the federal bureaucracy.

I don't think that things necessarily have to be done in 'the most efficient way.' Redundancy is also a great part of how things should be done. As an example, I would point out that the Government of America has been undertaking various projects to improve the place for well over 200 years now; what private company has or will be doing things for that long?

The Government undertakes projects which cannot be profitable; how many private investors would sink money into something which will never return a profit, or generate income?

Well you know, I work very hard for my money. And I would like the satisfaction of knowing that the taxes I pay actually go to projects and purposes that do strengthen the country and promote the general welfare. And for me, that means that the money is spent for the Constitutionally mandated responsibilities of the federal government and it is spent efficiently, effectively, and getting the most value possible for the dollar expended.

Why should anybody invest money into something which will never return a profit or generate income? That's the best reason in the world to let private investors make decisions about as much of that kind of thing as possible.

Or what about those things that add to quality of life? If the people want something bad enough, they'll pony up the funds to get it. If they don't want to pay for it, they don't need it or want it badly enough. On every ballot in every election there are a number of non-essential projects that we the people get to decide on such as a new library or expand the zoo or add a sound system to the convention center. Some we vote up. Some we vote down. But what we vote for, we pay for and I guarantee you that most of those projects come in within budget. Not so with the federal government that can simply allocate more money and doesn't care whether a few tens of thousands are spent here or a hundred thousand there. A drop in the bucket to the feds. But look how many years of my tax dollars just one of those expenditures consumes.

There are exceptions. I have 100% supported space exploration and things like the Hubble Telescope that are unreasonably beyond the reach of private investors. Such things lift our hearts and inspire us and eventually return great benefits in increased knowledge and even new products that become whole new industries, but those are mostly an unintended positive benefit.

I still say the best policy is for the Federal government to do only that which cannot be done more efficiently, effectively, and economically by at more local levels and/or the private sector. If we don't have the money for non essentials, or there is insufficient interest or enthusiasm for non essential projects, they can wait.

I further say that such policy greatly reduces incentive and ability for corruption, graft, and malfeasance in government and that is absolutely in the best interest of and to the benefit of us all.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 05:22 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxie wrote:
Quote:
I further say that such policy greatly reduces incentive and ability for corruption, graft, and malfeasance in government and that is absolutely in the best interest of and to the benefit of us all.

What do you base this on? Please provide evidence that shows this to be true?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 05:27 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:

Well you know, I work very hard for my money. And I would like the satisfaction of knowing that the taxes I pay actually go to projects and purposes that do strengthen the country and promote the general welfare.

I'm afraid at the end of the day, this is what most complaints such as yours are about: wanting your tax dollars to go to the things which you consider important.

But others consider OTHER things to be important. I consider bike lanes to be important as well as needle exchanges and money to keep the very poor from being Dreadfully poor. To me, these are as valid uses of our tax dollars as a bridge or a tank or the Hubble telescope.

I do not believe the purpose of government is efficiency, not at all. And efficiency should not be our overriding goal when it comes to allocating dollars of spending or taxation. Debra makes a great point above, when she points out that our system was specifically created to be inefficient!

Cycloptichorn
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 05:34 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

But if you dont do the initial behavior (using drugs), you have no chance of becoming addicted.

Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Thats why I say that an addict CHOOSES to become addicted (in most cases)

Now, if you can provide some evidence that shows that someone that never used drugs became addicted to them, I will look at it.

Okay chiming in here as one who has some professional experience in this field.

1. It is true that anybody who intentionally uses tobacco, alcohol, or other potentially addictive drugs runs the risk of becoming addicted to the drug they choose to use. The patient may or may not be aware of his/her specific risk as nobody knows for certain how their genetic makeup will react to the drug. Many who think they have behaved responsibly and in moderation do cross an invisible line into addiction and that was entirely unintentional on the part of the addict. In other words, virtually nobody INTENDS to get hooked on their drug of choice.

2. It is also true that prescribed drugs can cause addiction and the patient may or may not know that when he or she is administered those drugs and neither the patient nor the doctor is aware when the addiction takes hold.

3. It is further true that once addicted, most addicts are affected physically, emotionally, and mentally and may not have the capability to either recognize how sick they are or have the ability to deal with it without help.

There are charitable organizations (the most common route) or state run treatment centers to help addicts kick whatever has them hooked.

I personally have no problem with helping folks get off the sauce or whatever and I don't mind some public funds being allocated for that purpose though I would prefer that it come from the private sector as much as possible. I do think this is a state and local issue and the feds should stay out of it.

I agree with you that there should be no automatic entitlement for such help though I do think a doctor who carelessly or unintentionally allowed a patient to become addicted should carry the responsibility to help the patient get clean; and/or work comp carriers should pay such costs if an injured worker should become dependent on pain meds, etc.

In other words it should be primarily the responsibility of those responsible to deal with it and otherwise is best handled by the private sector via charitable organizations etc. I was certified by a private hospital that was funded by a combination of insurance, charitable donations, state, and city funds for its treatment unit and it had a tremendous success rate.

Nobody gets free from an addiction without accepting personal responsibility for the effort, but there is some room for help for people who have accepted such responsibility.
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 06:41 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
No, I don't want the ability to allocate my money to specific things. I do want the ability to know that my money is going for the Constitutionally mandated support of government and not to feather the political fortune of some member(s) of Congress who use my tax dollars to garner favor from pet constituencies.

At the end of the day, probably the main difference between you and me is that you are more willing to give the Federal government virtually unlimited power, ability, and resources along with trust that such will be used responsibly. As I do not trust those with virtually unlimited power and resources to remain uncorrupted by it or to use the money responsibly, I want such power, ability, and resources kept to the most practical minimum possible while assigning the real power closer to home with more local government and the people as the Founders envisioned.

It makes absolutely no sense to me to send tax dollars to Washington where a substantial portion is skimmed off the top to support all the bureaucracies of Washington and then a portion returned to the states to decide what to do with it.

Maybe somebody can explain to me how that is a smart system? Why not just eliminate most of those bureaucracies and let the states keep the money at home to begin with? How can an argument be made that people in Washington DC who have never been to Muleshoe TX know what's good for the people of Muleshoe better than the people of Muleshoe know what's good for the people of Muleshoe?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 06:42 pm
@mysteryman,
Quote:
Your uncle did not choose his addiction.

See, you wouldn't know that unless I'd told you his situation. Just like a lot of people you see with addiction - you don't know their situation, yet you feel free to throw out a blanket condemnation.

That's wrong to do. Strong drugs change your brain chemistry and can turn a strong person into a weak one; someone who had strong willpower into someone with weak willpower. I just ask that we give people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to drug addiction, and focus on helping them get their lives straight, rather than judging them.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 06:52 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

No, I don't want the ability to allocate my money to specific things. I do want the ability to know that my money is going for the Constitutionally mandated support of government and not to feather the political fortune of some member(s) of Congress who use my tax dollars to garner favor from pet constituencies.

Well, that's a different way of saying the same thing.

Quote:
At the end of the day, probably the main difference between you and me is that you are more willing to give the Federal government virtually unlimited power, ability, and resources along with trust that such will be used responsibly. As I do not trust those with virtually unlimited power and resources to remain uncorrupted by it or to use the money responsibly, I want such power, ability, and resources kept to the most practical minimum possible while assigning the real power closer to home with more local government and the people as the Founders envisioned.

I do not wish to give the government unlimited power; I wish to give them limited power, which is exactly the situation we find ourselves in. I am a supporter of the current system, the one you and Ican say is illegal or unConstitutional or something. I fancy myself one who deals with our situation as it actually exists, not one who insists the situation should not be the way it obviously is.

I guess the thing that convinces me the system will stay the way it is, is something like... the Child Tax Credit. Which you and I both know should be gotten rid of, and we both know it won't. Therefore it is better to exist within the operative reality in which it exists and will continue to do so. In that reality, the one we actually exists in, America itself has grown beyond the wildest dreams of the founding fathers and our government has grown as well to handle problems unforeseen in the 18th century. This is a natural and predictable thing and learning to accept that is probably a good first step.

Quote:

It makes absolutely no sense to me to send tax dollars to Washington where a substantial portion is skimmed off the top to support all the bureaucracies of Washington and then a portion returned to the states to decide what to do with it.

Maybe somebody can explain to me how that is a smart system? Why not just eliminate most of those bureaucracies and let the states keep the money at home to begin with? How can an argument be made that people in Washington DC who have never been to Muleshoe TX know what's good for the people of Muleshoe better than the people of Muleshoe know what's good for the people of Muleshoe?

This is a re-statement of the Conservative attitude of 'sink or swim.' The fact is that most Cities pay for the improvements of towns and little population centers around them and around the nation... under your ethos, these small towns would be in serious trouble.

I think if you looked at many of the Federal services that places enjoy, being taken away, and tried to replace them with local tax dollars, you would find yourself quite unable to do so in many cases.

Cycloptichorn