AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

mysteryman

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 10:37 am
@jcboy,
Quote:
Being PC means not being an asshole to others, something conservatives actively reject out of "tradition."

Are you sure thats all it is?
If you really think that, then you are partly correct.
While being "PC" may have started out that way, it quickly devolved into something totally different.

Are you not Christian?
Then a nativity scene is not "PC" because it might offend you.

An anti-child abuse ad in Ireland is banned, becaused it didnt show a woman beating a child, only a man.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505123_162-42750247/political-correctness-gone-mad-anti-child-abuse-ad-banned-for-showing-wrong-abuser/

And then there is this...
http://hereisthecity.com/2011/10/07/11-cases-of-political-correctness-gone-mad/

And much of that happens here in the US.
Christmas tree has been replaced by "holiday tree", so as not to ofdfend anyone that doesnt celebrate Christmas.

And here are more examples...
http://listverse.com/2010/10/26/10-ridiculous-cases-of-political-correctness/

So while "PC" might have started out as simply not being an asshole to others, it quickly changed into something much worse.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 10:05 pm
@jcboy,
I am sick to death of that so-called war.
plainoldme

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 10:06 pm
@plainoldme,
http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201112020036
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 11:10 pm
From the NYT:
Quote:
Ideas erupt from the mind of Newt Gingrich — bold, unconventional and sometimes troubling and distracting.

On Monday, Mr. Gingrich sought to do damage control on the latest of his Big Thoughts to land him in hot water — helping children bootstrap their way out of poverty by paying them to mop and clean their schools, and rolling back child labor laws that he has called “truly stupid.

Mr. Gingrich defended the idea, which critics have labeled Dickensian, as a way to introduce children in housing projects with few examples of working adults to the idea of earning a paycheck.

“This is how people rise in America — they learn to work,” he said at a news conference in Manhattan.

Mr. Gingrich’s tendency to speak bluntly, provocatively and sometime impulsively may be part of his emerging appeal at a time when conservatives seem intent on sending a no-business-as-usual message to Washington. It helps with his attempts to foster an image as a candidate eager to bring about change. But the fallout from his statements often traps him in lengthy digressions from his main messages, and it highlights one of the central questions about him as a candidate and potential president: is he sufficiently disciplined?

Earlier this year, Mr. Gingrich attacked a proposal by Representative Paul D. Ryan, the Republican budget guru, on Medicare as “right-wing social engineering,” and it all but killed his nascent presidential campaign. More recently, he has had to explain why his proposal to legalize some illegal immigrants was not amnesty.

And last week, explaining why he had no need to work as a lobbyist, he boasted that he commanded $60,000 per speech — while stumping in South Carolina, a state where the median household income is $42,600.

I guess in South Carolina, 100% of them belong to the 99%. LOL
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 07:28 am
2012 GOP presidential hopeful Mitt Romney has been pinning his campaign to his economic record, claiming that his time as an investment executive gives him the necessary experience to boost the nation’s moribund job creation.

“I think to create jobs it helps to have had a job. I have,” Romney constantly says, adding “I spent my career in the private sector. I think that’s what the country needs right now.”

When Romney mentions his private sector experience, he’s referencing his time with Bain Capital, the private equity firm that earned Romney his millions. Bain’s model for creating profit was to buy up companies and, as the Los Angeles Times put it yesterday, maximize profits “by firing workers, seeking government subsidies, and flipping companies quickly for large profits.” In fact, one of Romney’s former partners at the firm said that he never saw his role as that of a job creator, undermining one of Romney’s top selling points:

Bain managers said their mission was clear. “I never thought of what I do for a living as job creation,” said Marc B. Walpow, a former managing partner at Bain who worked closely with Romney for nine years before forming his own firm. “The primary goal of private equity is to create wealth for your investors.”

Plenty of the former employees of companies that Bain bought would certainly agree with that assessment. For instance, Bain Capital formed GS Industries by snapping up steel companies. GSI went bankrupt, and “more than 700 workers were fired, losing not only their jobs but health insurance, severance and a chunk of their pension benefits. GSI retirees also lost their health insurance and other benefits.” However, “Bain partners received about $50 million on their initial investment, a 100% gain.”
plainoldme

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 07:29 am
@plainoldme,
"I think to create jobs it helps to have had a job."

Right. As if that makes sense. Typical of the right.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 10:21 am
@plainoldme,
Through typical conservative ignorance, Newt wants to start kids working to clean their schools to learn job skills. Newt's problem is much greater than his myopia; new college grads can't find jobs, and those who have lost jobs by the millions can't find jobs. And he wants to lead our country?
plainoldme

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 04:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
First of all, there are men and some women working as janitors. Are they to be replaced by third-graders?

Second, does he think that learning to dust and mop are all the job skills a kid needs to learn?

Third, that reminds me of the talking heads on Wall Street Week in Review during the 90s who touted the coming service economy with jobs for all. A family can not be supported on a service job.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 04:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I can only imagine what people of the future will think about the people we considered voting for president. He would drive this country the way some people drive cars.

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2011 05:20 pm
@reasoning logic,
I understand there were several luxury cars that got involved in an "accident" in Japan.

It was estimated that the damage exceeded one million $.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 09:24 pm
http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/tue-december-6-2011-jonah-hill
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 07:16 am
A Michigan law makes it possible for towns to be seized and dissolved. The governor then has the ability to pass the town over to a corporation for governance.

The people of Michigan are seeking to overturn this law via referendum. The governor and the legislature are drafting a referendum-proof law. Do you still believe that the right represents small government?
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 03:47 pm
@plainoldme,
Crazy world we live in isn't it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 04:09 pm
@reasoning logic,
Conservatives in this country have gone crazy! They're trying to overthrow the Constitution in every way possible, including, but not limited to, taking away the vote from citizens.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 04:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It seems like we are a bunch of psychopaths, hopefully we will continue to evolve and become a more caring society.

0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 05:17 pm
@plainoldme,
How old is that law?
Who was the governor when it was passed?
Has it ever been enforced?
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 06:07 pm
@mysteryman,
The "emergency manager" law goes back at least 20 years - 1988 or perhaps 1976 - depending on how one interprets how its evolution.
Earlier in 2011 (March) the Republican Governor and the Republican controlled legislature expanded the powers of the "emergency manager" to include:
-Breaking union contracts
-Dismissing elected officials
-Disincorporating municipalities.
It appears that this has happened four times. All four happen to have a large population of blacks.
I readily concede that my knowledge of Michigan is minimal. Maybe my google search did not find balanced discussion of the issue.
But it is a start, Mysteryman, and I trust that you and others will take the time to research the topic.
It does strike me as odd that the Republican leadership, which I assumed would be in favor of a smaller government, would now seemingly think otherwise.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 09:21 pm
@reasoning logic,
Crazy and scary
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2011 11:20 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

It does strike me as odd that the Republican leadership, which I assumed would be in favor of a smaller government, would now seemingly think otherwise.

In the case at hand I believe they were aided by the nearly four decades of incompetent, racist kleptocracy in the city government of Detroit that started in the 1970s under former Mayor Coleman Young, and only recently ended with the conviction of former mayor Kwame Kilpatrick. Last year the new superintendent of Detroit spublic schools discovered in excess of 200 "ghost" employees on the schools payroll - paychecks routinely cashed but no employees found. The current Mayor Bing appears to be doing a Herculean job, but it is very much a case of cleaning out the Stygian stables. The city is dead socially, politically and economically.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 08:54 am
A thoughtful analysis of the cost of crime in America:

http://www.occupyboston.org/2011/12/11/costs-occupy-vs-recession/?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed
0 Replies