AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

plainoldme

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 01:36 pm
VIRGINIA BEACH (The Borowitz Report) - Rev. Pat Robertson sparked controversy in today's broadcast of his 700 Club program when he claimed that God created the blizzard currently battering the Northeast "to punish Americans who were planning to drive to do something gay."

Explaining his theory, Rev. Robertson said, "Because of the bad road conditions the Almighty has made, any gay activities that people were planning on doing will have to be postponed by a day or two."

Additionally, he argued, God shut down major airports in the New York area "so that people who were hoping to fly to do something of a gay nature would have to take a train or a bus, so it might be days before the gay thing they were going to do could occur."

As for the millions of straight people in New York City who were also grounded by the bad weather, the televangelist said, "I think God probably wonders, if these people are really straight, then what are they doing in New York?"

In other blizzard-related news, the National Weather Service offered this update: "It's as white as a Glenn Beck rally out there."
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 01:37 pm
@plainoldme,
These christian leaders are scary; they are too ignorant to be the leader of anything.
plainoldme

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 01:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Pat Robertson is rather old. Perhaps, he 's senile. He is getting weirder and weirder.
aidan

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 02:07 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
VIRGINIA BEACH (The Borowitz Report) - Rev. Pat Robertson sparked controversy in today's broadcast of his 700 Club program when he claimed that God created the blizzard currently battering the Northeast "to punish Americans who were planning to drive to do something gay."

Explaining his theory, Rev. Robertson said, "Because of the bad road conditions the Almighty has made, any gay activities that people were planning on doing will have to be postponed by a day or two."

Additionally, he argued, God shut down major airports in the New York area "so that people who were hoping to fly to do something of a gay nature would have to take a train or a bus, so it might be days before the gay thing they were going to do could occur."

As for the millions of straight people in New York City who were also grounded by the bad weather, the televangelist said, "I think God probably wonders, if these people are really straight, then what are they doing in New York?"

In other blizzard-related news, the National Weather Service offered this update: "It's as white as a Glenn Beck rally out there."

Laughing Laughing Laughing

This is a joke, right?
plainoldme

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 03:14 pm
@aidan,
No, I checked it out. It sounded like a joke.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 03:41 pm
@aidan,
The bit about nutty old Pat Robertson is true although his comments were made about the December 2010 NE snow storm, not the current weather.

The National Weather Service never posted an update "It's as white as a Glenn Beck rally out there," what they actually posted was "Americans haven't had this much blown up their asses since Obamcare."
JPB

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 03:44 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Laughing
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 09:43 pm
I wonder why Robertson continually harps on gays. After all, there are seven deadly sins. Perhaps, God is punishing Americans for gluttony.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 10:07 pm
@plainoldme,
pom, That's "with." LOL
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 12:37 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

How dangerous is glenn beck?

This is from a peace group that exists in a college town in Western Massachusetts:

Last Saturday the Glen Beck 9/12'ers, moving into Northampton from all over the Valley, were out in a force of about 24 people. They amplified their look by carrying along many huge yellow "Don't Tread on Me" flags. Their signs are hostile to us peace activists.

Both sides, I would have to say, kept the peace. For our part, we are committed to non-violence, and we had 6 trained Peacekeepers present. The Beckers were mostly well-behaved.

I've been waiting, but apparently you have no intention of explaining this incoherent post to MM or me...or maybe you have us on "ignore." Cool

I did note that you wrote this in a response to CI:

Quote:
If anyone does not see the danger beck poses, they are insensible.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt that your original post might have been sardonic and you were mocking the self-importance of Beck, but no, the above comment confirms you actually do think he is dangerous and that your senseless account was proof of it.

In truth, if anyone recognizes Beck's "danger" through your insensible post, they are likely paranoid schizophrenics which I'm beginning to think may be an affliction of your own.

Of course if you have me on "ignore," this won't even amount to a sinister voice in your head.
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 03:10 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

The bit about nutty old Pat Robertson is true although his comments were made about the December 2010 NE snow storm, not the current weather.

No, it's not true.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 03:11 pm
@joefromchicago,
Really?

I googled it and found the story on a number of reputable sites.

A hoax?
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 03:41 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
It's from the Borowitz Report, a satire site. It was picked up by other sites as genuine because ... well, let's face it, it sounds like something Pat Robertson might say. In Robertson's case, satire and reality are hard to distinguish.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 04:18 pm
@joefromchicago,
Ah ha!

It did sound like something the old nut would say... until it got to the plane part.
parados

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 07:04 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Surely you must realize a man that can leg lift 2000 lbs would never say anything so ridiculous.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 08:06 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

You once again omit the fact that the federal government subsidizes 'non-renewable' oil power sources and methods of usage. To a great degree. The Sierra club, and I, don't understand why it's right to subsidize one kind of power generation, but not a cleaner kind.

Cycloptichorn

There are temporary tax credits avaqilable for the construction of new power plaqnts of all kinds, coaql, gaqs, and nuclear. They amount to about $0.015 per KW-Hr of power generated for the first four or so years of operation. Wind and solar power get this plus additional subsidies of about $.025 per KW -Hr of power generated forever. In addition they enjoy other far larger and more perverse subsidies in the form of mandated production shares. Power distributors are required to charge their customers the average cost of generating power from all their sources. Thus a set aside requiring 20% of power produced be sourced from wind and solar plants that deliver power at a cost of about $.16 per KW-Hr, combined with conventional sources averaging about $.07 per KW-Hr will raise the average cost of power (and everyone's power bill) by 26%. However, because the high cost renewable producer is guaranteed a fixed market share, and paid at his higher cost, he is getting about 37% of the revenue for delivering just 20% of the power. This is an enormous subsidy, amounting to around $.07 per KW-Hr produced - about equal to the total cost pof producing power from a nuclear plant (apart from dams our cheapest source).

The economic value of the direct and indirect subsidies directed towards far more costly renewable power dwarf those for conventional sources by a factor of about seven. They are hardly comparable.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 06:57 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Oh, an harangue. Ever consider that maybe I am busy and/or that your "questions" just aren't worth my time?

glenn beck is the fascist's fascist.

There.

You figure out the rest.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 06:58 am
@joefromchicago,
No, I checked it out and robertson mentioned the gay NY thing in January.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 06:59 am
From AlterNet:

Leading the list of the 30 most nauseatingly evil folk in the US are:

David & Charles Koch

Charges: In a land filthy with noxious liars, these two are the filthiest. Their dad founded the ridiculous John Birch Society which claimed fluoridated tap water was a Communist mind-control plot—while his company built oil refineries for Stalin. And they’ve not fallen far from the despicable hypocrite tree. Koch Industries, the second biggest privately-held company in the country, generates its annual $98 billion in profits from coal mining, stealing oil from Indian reservations, refining and piping Canadian tar sands oil, and every other clear-cut, mountaintop-removing environmental abomination under the sun. How they make money is dirty; how they spend it is dirtier. From free-market-humping think tanks CATO and Heartland to Tea Party-backing Americans for Prosperity and Freedom Works, they invest vulgar amounts of money in misappropriating populist rage and misinforming the ignorant masses on climate change, tax reform, environmental policy, health care, and any other issue that could cut into their fat bottom line.

Aggravating factor: In a philanthropy-meets-disinformation masterstroke, the Smithsonian’s new $15 million David H. Koch Hall of Human Origins is a climate change whitewash, which teaches that destroying our environment is no big deal because we can just adapt and evolve.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 09:40 am
@plainoldme,
Fistrider POM and her ilk shouldn't be allowed to vote in presidential elections.