AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

okie

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 07:41 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
okie wrote:
I cannot help but observe that your above post directly supports the logical conclusion that Hitler and the Nazi's were leftists, by virtue of the fact that they believed in a strong central government to solve their nation's social and economic problems through direct regulation and control, at the expense of personal freedom and liberty. As the Time Magazine article explained in January of 1939, the capitalists in Germany also learned that free market capitalism was also expendable in favor of the all powerful Nazi State.
Nonsense ! It demonstrates that they are authoritarian, like the kings of an earlier era, the Directory of the French revolution or Napoleon who followed them, or the 19th century Bismark government of Germany, or the tyrannies of Hitler or Stalin in the 20th century.
I have chosen examples from both the left and the right as you would define them. However, I don't expect that to deter you. You simply ignore these and other facts that confound your twisted arguments.
Once again you are attempting to force a reality that involves at least two degreees of freedom (independent coordinates) on a theoretical model that provides only one. It can't be done without the confusion and contradictions that so beset all of your attempts to defend the indefensible.
You might have a small leg to stand on, george, if Hitler and the Nazis wanted a strong state in order to enforce the rights of individuals and in order to maintain a free market capitalist economy, but they did not. In fact, just the opposite. I have provided proof of that with the Time Magazine link and article. Are you going to ignore the evidence as if it does not exist?
realjohnboy

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 07:52 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

Are we now at the mercy of the tyranny of the majority?

That got me confused. Could you expand on that? Thank you.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 07:55 pm
@realjohnboy,
This, I gotta hear. LOL
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:04 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
okie wrote:
Are we now at the mercy of the tyranny of the majority?
That got me confused. Could you expand on that? Thank you.
I am surprised you ask that. The term "tyranny of the majority" has been around a very long time. The founders recognized the dangers of a pure democracy, and that was the motivation for writing the Constitution and Bill of Rights as they did, to protect the rights of individuals. Individual rights and responsibilities are the basis of this country, not democratic rule. If a pure democracy was practiced, the majority could vote to kill all blond haired people and it would become law.

Granted, we do elect officials by the vote of the majority, but we are a democratic republic, not a pure democracy. We send representatives to government with a vote, but they should not govern by obtaining votes of the people on every issue. These facts are why so many conservatives were repulsed by Clinton for example doing polling to find out what he should do next, even deciding where to go on vacation based on a poll. Do you remember that? He had no foundational principles that guided him. This country has veered from the course of making decisions based upon conviction and constitutional principles, instead basing them on popularity or polling.

God help us if we totally give in to the tyranny of the majority. If you want to know more about it, simply enter the term in your search engine and you will find enough to read a couple of hours or more. That goes for you too, imposter.

I am surprised you guys do not seem to know about the term. Not only surprised, also very disappointed.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:12 pm
@okie,
GW Bush said:

Quote:
Polls? You know, if a President tries to govern based upon polls, you're kind of like a dog chasing your tail. I don't think you can make good, sound decisions based upon polls. And I don't think the American people want a President who relies upon polls and focus groups to make decisions for the American people. (Apr. 28, 2005)
georgeob1

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:13 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:
You might have a small leg to stand on, george, if Hitler and the Nazis wanted a strong state in order to enforce the rights of individuals and in order to maintain a free market capitalist economy, but they did not. In fact, just the opposite. I have provided proof of that with the Time Magazine link and article. Are you going to ignore the evidence as if it does not exist?

More nonsense ! You are hoplessly confused and caught up in the disorienting muddle of your preconceptions.

None of the examples I gave was particularly interested in the rights of individuals. Instead they were interested in the rights of the ruling elite. Kings were interested only in their own rights. The French revolution proclaimed its devotion to "the rights of man", however it turned out that those rights were determined only by the ruling elite - it was the same with Napoleon who followed them. A similar story could be told about the Communist tyrannies. Hitler proclaimed his devotion to the rights of true Germans, but it turned out that only he and the ruling Nazi elite were allowed to determine what those rights were - or who got to enjoy them. That behavior, in a political context, is called authoritarianism - and it doesn't matter whether the one who does it deceitfully proclaims his devotion to the rights of others - it is the behavior that counts. Moreover authoritarian governments can be found on both the right and the left of the conventional political spectrum - and I have here provided you a few examples.
okie

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
GW Bush said:
Quote:
Polls? You know, if a President tries to govern based upon polls, you're kind of like a dog chasing your tail. I don't think you can make good, sound decisions based upon polls. And I don't think the American people want a President who relies upon polls and focus groups to make decisions for the American people. (Apr. 28, 2005)
Great post, ci. GW Bush was exactly right.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:21 pm
@okie,
I knew you would bite, because you don't remember what you post . On another thread you posted:
Quote:
“What luck for rulers that men do not think.”
-Adolf Hitler

Does that apply to GW Bush too!

okie

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:23 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
okie wrote:
More nonsense ! You are hoplessly confused and caught up in the disorienting muddle of your preconceptions.

None of the examples I gave was particularly interested in the rights of individuals. Instead they were interested in the rights of the ruling elite. The French revolution proclaimed its devotion to "the rights of man", however it turned out that those rights were determined only by the ruling elite - it was the same with Napoleon who followed them. A similar story could be told about the Communist tyrannies. Hitler proclaimed his devotion to the rights of true Germans, but it turned out that only he and the ruling Nazi elite were allowed to determine what those rights were. That behavior, in a political context, is called authoritarianism - and it doesn't matter whether the one who does it deceitfully proclaims his devotion to the rights of others - it is the behavior that counts. Moreover authoritarian governments can be found on both the right and the left of the conventional political spectrum.
george, I am surprised at your persistance in this. I would like you to address one of your examples that you have being Napoleon I think. What were Napoleon's policies regarding property rights and capitalism? What about other authoritarian regimes or monarchies? I think it boils down to whether they allowed individual rights and expression or whether everybody marched to their orders with little or no individual rights or property. For example, if a monarchy collected all of the fruits of his subjects only to dole out as he pleased, how is that much different than communism under a dictator?
okie

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:24 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
I knew you would bite, because you don't remember what you post . On another thread you posted:
Quote:
“What luck for rulers that men do not think.”
-Adolf Hitler
Does that apply to GW Bush too!
Do you not understand how a democratic republic form of government is supposed to work, ci?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:31 pm
@okie,
Then why did you post this quote from Hitler if doesn't apply?
okie

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Then why did you post this quote from Hitler if doesn't apply?
You must have found the quote in more quotes that I posted to illustrate something else. I don't frankly remember the quote.

It appears that Hitler actually said something fairly accurate and in his case it was prophetic. The people need to be alert, and that is why I have continually warned you guys here about the Democrats and Obama. However, people being informed and vocal does not allow them to directly vote on every issue directly in a purely democratic fashion. This is a democratic republic, in which we are charged with electing people that have good judgement and more time to study every issue than every citizen has time to do. We therefore need to trust the people that we vote for, to exercise wisdom and good judgement in what legislation they consider. Not only that, it is paramount that they uphold the constitution as they swear to do when they are sworn into office. If a piece of legislation is unconstitutional, they should have enough sense to know it and vote against it. Unfortunately for us out here, that is not true all the time, but thereotically it has more chance of being true than if every citizen voted on legislation, whether they knew anything about the constitution or not.

I hope you have the intelligence to understand the point I am attempting to get across to you.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:43 pm
@okie,
okie, You will not waste my valuable time with your foolish q&a's. You logic and ability to understand facts and evidence doesn't exist. Trying to have an intelligent discussion is meaningless and a big waste of time. Ask georgeob, your fellow conservative.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:45 pm
@okie,
Quote:
Whatever happened to our rights as individuals in this country? Are we now at the mercy of the tyranny of the majority? By the way, can you cite a poll that indicates Americans want single payer government health care?

I had no idea that we had no right to be healthy.
plainoldme

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:46 pm
@okie,
okie's message: All those who don't think like me are damned.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:46 pm
@okie,
This is a truly, certifiable rant - and, on this day in history........
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:48 pm
NEWS FLASH!!!! OKIE UNDERSTANDS NOTHING!!!!
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:53 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
okie wrote:

None of the examples I gave was particularly interested in the rights of individuals. Instead they were interested in the rights of the ruling elite. Kings were interested only in their own rights. The French revolution proclaimed its devotion to "the rights of man", however it turned out that those rights were determined only by the ruling elite - it was the same with Napoleon who followed them. A similar story could be told about the Communist tyrannies. Hitler proclaimed his devotion to the rights of true Germans, but it turned out that only he and the ruling Nazi elite were allowed to determine what those rights were - or who got to enjoy them. That behavior, in a political context, is called authoritarianism - and it doesn't matter whether the one who does it deceitfully proclaims his devotion to the rights of others - it is the behavior that counts. Moreover authoritarian governments can be found on both the right and the left of the conventional political spectrum - and I have here provided you a few examples.
I think we need to rewind this debate, going back to what yardstick or spectrum are you using? I would like to know what it is, george?

One very important point to understand, I believe the American experiment forever changed what we know about what is left and what is right or conservative. I have told you and everyone else here that the context I was using is that which applies or measured by what is considered left or right in the context of modern day American politics. You could ask why. The why is because America has redefined forever what we know works and what does not work so well. My question to you is why go back to what might have been considered right wing in 1930's Germany or Great Britain in the 1100s? We don't have to be muddled with all of those different kinds of yardsticks. After all, why measure the temperature in all the different countries with devices that read totally different accuracies? Why not use the best that we have, from all that we have learned to date?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:54 pm
@plainoldme,
How about 18 polls? Even Republicans and even while paying more taxes!

Since at least 1987, polls have shown the majority of the public favor a single-payer system when a New York Times/CBS Poll showed 78 percent of people are in favor of such a system.

Between 2003 to 2009, 17 opinion polls showed a simple majority of the public supports a single-payer system in the United States. These polls are from sources such as CNN, [AP-Yahoo, Quinnipiac, New York Times/CBS News Poll, Washington Post/ABC News Poll, Kaiser Family Foundation and the Civil Society Institute.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-payer_health_care#Public_opinion_in_the_United_States

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f4/Single_Payer_Public_Opinion.JPG
okie

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:54 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
I had no idea that we had no right to be healthy.
I am glad you finally learned that, pom. No, the constitution does not guarantee your health.