AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

georgeob1

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 05:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That's why we are the land of opportunity and the preferred destination of so many immigrants.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 05:52 pm
@georgeob1,
I've met CI, Georgeob, at one or two A2K gatherings. Sometime when you are in DC, please consider a day trip to Charlottesville.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 07:10 pm
@realjohnboy,
Thank you, I will. I have a nephew who is an undergraduate at U VA there. (I even moonlighted as a Math instructor there long ago).
BillW

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 07:36 pm
@georgeob1,
Ohhh, is your name really Alexander Piers?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 07:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
I think we drag the bottom rung of developed countries on that score.
You are free to move to another country if you thing it will be alot better somewhere else, imposter.

If I were you, I would in fact consider another country besides The Peoples Republic of California!!! Laughing
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 08:15 pm
@okie,
Who the fucks talking about "moving to another country?"
FYI, I'm just stating FACTS, that you ignore in most of your "opinions" and "claims."

Thank god you're not me!

Your talk is mostly bull ****; my lifestyle is better than the majority of Americans - even in California. Why would I move? My wife loves it here. You know nothing about me, and yet you try to suggest stupid things that make no sense or logic.

Aren't you happy that georgeob is your advocate?
BillW

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 08:15 pm
California's economy is the largest of any state in the US, and is the eighth largest economy in the world. As of 2008, the gross state product (GSP) is about $1.85 trillion, which is 13% of the United States gross domestic product (GDP). The state's GDP growth rate slowed to 0.4% in 2008 after having grown 3.1% in 2006 and 1.8% in 2007. As of 2010 California along with Texas leads all other states in the number of Fortune 500 headquarters at 57 companies each.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 08:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I don't know whether or not you have kids CI, but if you do, then I think you can relate to the idea of telling one of them to move on out if all they could do every day was tell you how fucked up you were.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 08:29 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:
California's economy is the largest of any state in the US, and is the eighth largest economy in the world. As of 2008, the gross state product (GSP) is about $1.85 trillion, which is 13% of the United States gross domestic product (GDP). The state's GDP growth rate slowed to 0.4% in 2008 after having grown 3.1% in 2006 and 1.8% in 2007. As of 2010 California along with Texas leads all other states in the number of Fortune 500 headquarters at 57 companies each.
If it is so prosperous, how come the deficit has now hit 25 billion, Bill? Hint, it aint because of conservatives living there or running the government there.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/10/california-budget-deficit_n_781848.html
"SACRAMENTO, Calif. — California's nonpartisan legislative analyst says the state's budget deficit has grown to $25.4 billion and is now more than a fifth of the general fund."
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 10:22 pm
@okie,
okie, You are probably the dumbest poster on a2k. Almost all developed countries are running deficits, and that includes the US. Where did you study economics?
okie

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 05:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I may be dumb, but I am not stupid, ci. I can at least balance my checkbook. Our school actually taught math when I went to school.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 05:36 pm
@okie,
And that was in which grade?
okie

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 05:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Every grade, ci. I think the last math class I took in our little backward two-bit country hick school was Algebra II or an advanced course in trigonometry.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 05:43 pm
@okie,
I'm glad that your math studies allow you to balance your own checkbook.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 05:44 pm
What's a checkbook?
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 05:48 pm
@realjohnboy,
rjb, It's one of those old-fangled little booklets that lets one keep track of their income and outgo to know what their "cash" balance is. The first column usually is the space for the date of the transaction, second column for who you paid or who paid you, the third column for the amount paid, the forth column for the amount credited, and the last column for the "current" balance.

It's not as easy as one thinks; my wife has difficult balancing her checkbook often, and she just rounds out to the nearest dollar. It seems to work for her.
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 06:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
We might do a 100 transactions a day in my main store. Two or three checks at most.
I recall reading that Britain is planning on fazing out checks altogether in the next few years.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 06:48 pm
@okie,
Quote:
If it is so prosperous, how come the deficit has now hit 25 billion, Bill? Hint, it aint because of conservatives living there or running the government there.

Actually, it is because of Conservatives who lived there. Energy deregulation in the 90's by Conservative governor Pete Wilson led to the Enron scandal, which put CA deep in debt to begin with. The dot-com crash hurt CA especially hard b/c many of the start-up companies were located here. Arnold got elected and proceeded to slash various taxes by billions of dollars.

The legislature, however, had a stupid 2/3rds rule which allowed a minority of Republicans to prevent ANY tax raises for the last decade or so. So CA couldn't even begin to address their problems. Then the crash hit in 2008 and CA's revenue stream went belly-up.

Blaming the whole thing on Liberals is ridiculous. It betrays a complete ignorance of the situation. Both parties are at fault for what went wrong in some ways...

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 06:57 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:
Energy deregulation in the 90's by Conservative governor Pete Wilson led to the Enron scandal, which put CA deep in debt to begin with. Cycloptichorn

No it was the asinine state attenpt at control of the wholesale electrical energy market, enacted under the ill-fated Gray Davis that did that. Seeing a lower spot market price for energy the state foolishly made itself the sole buyer of energy, creating a state agency to do this and mandating that it buy only on the spot market. Smarterr folks in ENRON and other companies promptly bought up all the long-term energy contracts, driving the spot market price through the roof. California taxpayers ended up footing the bill.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 06:59 pm
@realjohnboy,
I'm not surprised; in the past, I usually wrote five-six checks every month. I'm lucky to write one check every month today, because I pay most of my bills through auto pay from my checking account.

Most of the time, I use cash for purchases.