Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 09:37 am
Do you think that we are moving towards a regulated and state controlled society where dissent is not allowed?

or is it conspiracy theory?

Are we losing our rights of free speech and the right to protest in the western world?

50 years of protest...........outlawed by the Brits

Quote:
From being a symbol of the right to protest, Aldermaston has become the latest testament to the desire of successive New Labour governments to curtail the right to assemble, demonstrate and object to government policy

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/we-shall-not-overcome-nuclear-protest-survived-six-tory-governments-but-not-new-labour-793123.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 762 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 06:31 pm
Maybe we will find out at the Ron Paul march in Washington. I will be looking for coverage, if I can find it.

I think 1984 is in a way Inevitable.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 06:32 pm
no, we are not moving towards 1984...if we were, you'd be going to jail for this post.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 06:58 pm
Not now, moving towards. Right now the government can watch anybody they want without a warrant and I think they can also arrest them without a warrant. We can be arrested with top secret evidence the government doesn't have to show anybody.

Think about how the government can really apply the slogan "war on terror".

War on terror? War is peace?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 07:03 pm
this government is on its way out. the next administration cannot be but better, no matter who it ends up being.

i get that some freedoms are being curbed way beyond necessity and i do despise it. but likening it to '1984' or to 'fascism' as some others do, does not do it any good service.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 07:04 pm
...when elections are canceled, property is nationalized and you have to think carefully what you're going to say, otherwise you might be taken in - i'll get on board with '1984' analogy...
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 09:23 pm
Thats communism. This is capatalism. Elections are fixed not canceled the two parties the same. Elections are a Necessary Illusion

Property is not nationalized it is all owned by banks and corperations.

In communism we all work for the state. In capitalism we all work for the company.

How many people think the things I think and think twice about saying them or even letting themselves think about it?

The "war on terror" can easily become the "war on dissent". It's a war with no enemy or country, It has no boundry and can never end because if you resist you are a terrorist. I idea of a "war on terror" is exactly Orwellion.

Tell me when and how we win the war on terror?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 09:35 pm
i've read necessary illusions...don't like chomsky. his books are convenient illusions...selecting facts that fit his agenda. i can push an exactly opposite agenda by selecting different facts.... but nevermind chomsky.

1984 was largely about a communist society. there was no election, there was no property...etc... --which is why i'm saying that when they're called off, i'll be on board with likening current situation to 1984.

remember we are talking about likening u.s. to 1984 -- the whole purpose of this thread... which i claim is an entirely unuseful analogy.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 09:38 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
this government is on its way out. the next administration cannot be but better, no matter who it ends up being.

i get that some freedoms are being curbed way beyond necessity and i do despise it. but likening it to '1984' or to 'fascism' as some others do, does not do it any good service.
1984 was a warning so when totalitarianism came creeping we would now it.

Lets not forget Animal farm (especially the end).

I think it is more like 'brave new world' meets '1984'.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 09:43 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
i've read necessary illusions...don't like chomsky. his books are convenient illusions...selecting facts that fit his agenda. i can push an exactly opposite agenda by selecting different facts.... but nevermind chomsky.

1984 was largely about a communist society. there was no election, there was no property...etc... --which is why i'm saying that when they're called off, i'll be on board with likening current situation to 1984.

remember we are talking about likening u.s. to 1984 -- the whole purpose of this thread... which i claim is an entirely unuseful analogy.
You don't think totalitarianism could use capitalism as it's vessel?

I remember one time they asked this lady that grew up in a communist country some things and one of the things she said was, " One good thing about being in a communist counrty is that we know everything on the news is bull$hit."

Capatalism will acheive what communism failed at.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 10:00 pm
that's a separate question.

1984 still doesn't work. that's all.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 10:02 pm
Amigo wrote:

Capatalism will acheive what communism failed at.

I sincerely doubt that.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 10:17 pm
All you really got to do is follow the money and the trail will lead to the people that make policy world wide both conservative a liberal.

What is the ideal ratio of the distribution of wealth? And where are we at now?

And what if we tried to change it? Then we will see what kind of democracy we have.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 10:43 pm
not arguing that.

....that still doesn't make 1984 a good analogy Very Happy
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 10:44 pm
Thanks for the reality check, Dag. Sometimes, there are news reports that really do cause me to worry about our direction. Then I realize that in 1984, those news reports weren't there.

Still, I worry. Well, when we find something we're good at, we tend to stick with it. I'm good at worrying.
0 Replies