What to do if you suspect a prescription is "wrong"?

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 03:08 pm
For about the last 10 years I have taken a low (40mg) dose of the generic version of Prozac. I have never had any trouble with it; in fact, it has helped a great deal.

Until recently.

I had a prescription filled at a new pharmacy. The pills look the same and have the name/dosage printed on each pill so by all accounts I should be assured. I wasn't. I took them back to the pharmacy and had them checked -- AOK, said the pharmacist.

But when I take them I don't feel "right". I get this weird disconnect between my head and my body where once in a while it takes great concentration to do simple moves. This happens mostly in the mornings. I kind of get this strange stagger-thing happening.

I can't think of anything else that has changed.

Is it possible that the company that made the pills labled/made them inaccurately?

I just can't figure out what else it could be.

Help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,863 • Replies: 20
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 03:21 pm
It has happened before.

My father in law got the wrong heart meds and did not know until he was in the hospital.

It is possible it could be the entire BATCH that is wrong .

Can you phone the company who makes them?

As if pfizer or any other company really CARES but if they get enough issues called in.. maybe?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 03:25 pm
hmmm... maybe you could ask the new pharmacist who they get their generics from and check back with the old pharmacy to see if they're different. It's possible they use different tableting powders in the manufacturing process. Better yet, ask them both for the non-active ingredient list from the labeling of their bulk supply and compare the two.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 03:38 pm
Don't you get the pills in a package, with a package insert?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 04:11 pm
The generic name is "fluoxetine" and the version I received is:

Quote:
Generic Name: Fluoxetine
Strength: 40 mg
Manufacturer: Dr. Reddy's Labs
Trade Name: N/A
Type: Antidepressant
Class: RX
Comment: Image courtesy of gtrplayer. Imprint R149 Fluoxetine 40 mg

I'm going to see if I have my old script bottle but I think it was made by a company called Novopharm - this is just a guess based on miniscule research.

I did get the package inserts to honestly, I've taken the drug for so long that I don't read them every time.

I think I'll call my doctor on Monday and give here a rundown on what is going on. I had a physical, with a complete blood screen, just a few months ago but I suppose something could be out of whack with me instead of with the pills themselves.

It is just the most disconcerting feeling; almost like being really drunk. It just lasts a few minutes but still.....
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 04:23 pm
It works differently here, Walter. Usually the Pharmacists has medications
in bulk delivered and fills the prescriptions from there. The patients get
a read-out of the medication from the pharmacy.

Boomerang, it could be that the dosage is either too low or too strong -
generics can vary quite a bit, and depending who the manufacturer is,
it can make all the difference.

I have noticed that with my thyroid medication, and ever since then I
request a particular brand only.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 05:40 pm
boomerang wrote:

I think I'll call my doctor on Monday and give here a rundown on what is going on.

good idea!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 05:46 pm
Boomerang? Have we been through menopause? Coming up on it? Could it be an internal shift?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 05:48 pm
JPB wrote:
boomerang wrote:

I think I'll call my doctor on Monday and give here a rundown on what is going on.

good idea!
I visit my local curandera, she mixes up some herbs and weeds and stuff like extract of pineal gland and either makes me a tea or tells me to smoke the stuff. I usually have visions but the price is right and no mis-labeling (no labeling at all) mescalito is my friend. Have you seen my pooka?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 05:54 pm
good point, dys.

Boomer -- make sure you give the doc the full story Cool
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 06:03 pm
JPB wrote:
good point, dys.

Boomer -- make sure you give the doc the full story Cool
don't even try to patronize me, Bimbo!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 06:10 pm
Patron(ize)? In my dreams!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 06:13 pm
JPB wrote:
Patron(ize)? In my dreams!
Not that many Valley girls live in Chicago, I suppose you think you're an original.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 06:16 pm
I'm not from here... I only live here.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 08:07 pm
eoe wrote:
Boomerang? Have we been through menopause? Coming up on it? Could it be an internal shift?

Oh man. This is what I've been wondering about. I am at the age (47) where my doctor is quizzing me about this. The women in my family typically go through menopause about this age (as my doctor knows).

Is that "disconnect" feeling typical? If so, I haven't read or heard about it as a symptom (is symptom the right word?).

It just seems so weird that it happened at the same time the prescription changed but it is not inconceivable that it is something within me.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 08:11 pm
dyslexia wrote:
JPB wrote:
boomerang wrote:

good idea!
I visit my local curandera, she mixes up some herbs and weeds and stuff like extract of pineal gland and either makes me a tea or tells me to smoke the stuff. I usually have visions but the price is right and no mis-labeling (no labeling at all) mescalito is my friend. Have you seen my pooka?

I mentioned on another thread that I am currently engrossed in the book "Charlatan". Maybe I need a Kanasas style messiah to implant some goat ovaries in me or something.

Or maybe I just need to call my pal Kathy to come by with her medical marajuana.....

I need something.

Stumbling around like a drunk doesn't really fit my style.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 08:20 pm
I'd suspect the meds first, that is, the change in producer and the contents within the pill.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 09:25 pm
boomerang wrote:
Is that "disconnect" feeling typical?

Do you remember being a young teenager, and things feeling weird inside your head?

It's the same thing happening in reverse, with occasional moments of ohmygawd I'm 13 and I'm freaking out.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 09:55 pm
A new pharmacy - and using a different generic brand. They should be the same - I presume the FDA has to licence any new brand of an existing product and the company has to guarantee bioequivalence.

I'd be inclined to contact the company. However, this brand is made in India, I think, and I'm not sure what sort of representation they are required to have in your country.

It'd be unlikely - but you couldn't rule it out.

The other issue may be contributing..... Confused
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 10:02 pm
boomerang wrote:
eoe wrote:

Oh man. This is what I've been wondering about. I am at the age (47) where my doctor is quizzing me about this. The women in my family typically go through menopause about this age (as my doctor knows).

I was thinking along the lines of the medication combined with hormonal shifting bought on by menopause. Not menopause by itself. But, it's not so far-fetched. Menopause can be more than wacky on it's own, as many of us know. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies