Dershowitz: US should launch preemptive strikes on civilians

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 11:50 am
Last night Alan Dershowitz was on Glen Beck's program.

Dershowitz claimed that because the enemy in Iraq play by different set of rules than the US military, so the American military needs to change the rules regarding how they fight the enemy. He advocated taking preemptive action against civilians who (and I am paraphrasing, feel free to correct my account is incorrect) are near the enemy, who cheer for the enemy, or who appear to support the enemy.

Anyone else catch this?
I wanted to discuss this a bit further, but am afraid that I may have misinterpreted or misunderstood the message.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,508 • Replies: 26
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 12:43 pm
Didn't catch it but that certainly sounds like something Dershowitz would say.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 01:19 pm
Pretty stupid thing to say.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 01:32 pm
I'll see if a transcript comes up, which I doubt.

...as an aside however, its good to see that no one really watches Beck.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 02:18 pm
Here you go:
Quote:
DERSHOWITZ: We have to change the rules. The rules now favor the terrorists.

And by the way, on American universities, today, you will find cheering for the terrorists. And if Israel were to dare to retaliate against the nest of terrorists from which these vipers came, and killed one innocent civilian who was around the terrorists, you would have protests on every college campus about Israel`s disproportionate response.

We have to understand that the people who in Gaza today, as we speak, are cheering for the terrorists who killed these kids, or the people who cheered when 9/11 came and 3,000 people were killed in the United States. These are not civilians. They`re on a continuum closer to being combatants than civilians.

We have to change the law. We have to allow preemptive attacks that target the terrorists, even if they do occasionally kill civilians, particularly civilians who willingly put themselves in harm`s way as human shields. The rules have to change.

BECK: Why don`t we make it a war crime if you start to use children?

DERSHOWITZ: It is a war crime, but you can`t get the U.N. to condemn it. The general assembly is on the side of the terrorists. Many American profess ors are on the side of the terrorists. Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch are on the side of the terrorists.

BECK: Alan, let me ask you a question, because these universities are driving me out of my mind. You`ve got kids wear Che shirts. They don`t even know what Che is.

DERSHOWITZ: No.

BECK: You`ve got Hollywood glorifying it. Everybody, it seems, in these universities are spewing out -- they are all rooting for the wrong side here.

DERSHOWITZ: Not everybody, Glenn. Not everybody.

BECK: I know...

DERSHOWITZ: Not me, and not many of the others who are trying to explain this is not so different from what went on in the 1930s, when in Oxford University, people said, we will not fight against Hitler. Hitler is just a (INAUDIBLE) dictator. And people on American campuses were opposing getting into the war against Germany.

We have to fight Islamic terrorism. We have to take preemptive actions. We have to take some risks. And we have to make the civilians who support the terrorists take some risks. Civilians are not sacrosanct when they solicit help for terrorists.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0803/06/gb.01.html
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 03:07 pm
Because you cheer for your own "side" you are on a continuum closer to being combatants than civilians....?

Is he serious?

Because someone supports the actions of their military, or independent "freedom fighters", or "terrorists" with whom they may share a common agenda, they are, in virtue of this support, more a combatant than a civilian?

Under Dershowitz's criteria, all the hawks in the US are more combatant than a civilian....all the madia pundits cheering during the shock and awe campaign are more combatant than civilian. I wonder if he's willing to accept that as well.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 04:15 pm
candidone1 wrote:

Is he serious?

I'm afraid so. He has, to put it mildly, an agenda.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 09:08 pm
So, from the perspective of the terrorists, that flew the planes into the Twin Towers, what made the occupants of those buildings acceptable targets? There could have been many more dead. The bombing in the early '90's was the impetus to have good evacuation procedures.

If I didn't know better, the terrorists have already adopted the paradigm that civilians are acceptable targets.

While his statement sounds outrageous, should we forget that in WWII we fire bombed Dresden, and oh, how did we end the war with Japan?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 09:46 am
Well that's exactly the point, Foofie. Regarding civilians as acceptable targets is what terrorists do. If we agree with them then either we are also terrorists or they are not terrorists. We can't have it both ways. "He hit me first" is not a valid justification.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 10:22 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Well that's exactly the point, Foofie. Regarding civilians as acceptable targets is what terrorists do. If we agree with them then either we are also terrorists or they are not terrorists. We can't have it both ways. "He hit me first" is not a valid justification.

Although his reasoning is a overboard, what do you believe is a reasonable response. Was our action in Afghanistan a reasonable response. What would be a reasonable response if Terrorists in Mexico, {Hypothetical} were to start lobbing missiles into Texas with the support of the Mexican govt. Reasonable depends on which end of the gun is pointing at you.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 10:28 am
What do you think would be a reasonable response to a government bombing civilians and your own government doing nothing to stop it?

If you're talking about Israel (which Dershowitz is undoubtedly) then you have to recognize that it's not a simple scenario as you have framed it. The people in question there have no state and, for all intents and purposes, no government. You could try, as they have done, doing what Dershowitz suggests and targeting civilians in assassinations and bombing residential buildings and neighborhoods. But that clearly hasn't and won't solve the problem. The solution to that problem is to negotiate a fair and just solution to the land problem.

If you're talking about the US, then yes, the action in Afghanistan was an appropriate response, and those who are caught should be tried for their crimes. But we should never target civilians or attack without regard for civilian casualties as that's a war crime.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 10:50 am
Regarding Israel. Of course negotiation is preferable to bombing. However, forces,and admittedly I am biased, on the palestinian side are interested in the destruction of Israel not a negotiated settlement. That aside what is a reasonable in your opinion to the terrorist attacks and barrage of missiles fired from Gaza into Israel ? And what would a reasonable response to the hypothetical question regarding Mexico.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 10:56 am
The response to either depends on the damage done and the actual threat to human lives. I have to object to your premise, though, as there is nothing in Dershowitz's remarks that suggests that his approach is limited to a response to these kinds of attacks. It's kind of an irrelevant question and one which I'm not qualified to answer. Human rights are important. Targeting or recklessly disregarding the lives of civilians is a violation of human rights. I'm not required to have fast and easy answers to every possible scenario to make that point. And the fact that I don't have an easy answer doesn't mean that the only possible solution is to kill civilians.

As for those factions that wish the destruction of Israel, they are in the minority. If you are waiting for unanimous support for Israel from the Palestinians in order to make peace then you will be waiting for eternity.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 11:33 am
Freeduck
Quote:
As for those factions that wish the destruction of Israel, they are in the minority. If you are waiting for unanimous support for Israel from the Palestinians in order to make peace then you will be waiting for eternity.

From everything I have heard and read the destruction of the State is a well supported aim in the Arab world including amomg the Palestiniams.

As for negotiations with whom shall Israel negotiate. Who is in charge and able to enforce agreements arrived at.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 11:50 am
It is true that Israel's policy of isolating and dismantling Palestinian government has resulted in a fragmented leadership and no clear representative. If only we still had Arafat, eh?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 11:52 am
au1929 wrote:
From everything I have heard and read the destruction of the State is a well supported aim in the Arab world including amomg the Palestiniams.

This is counter to my understanding, do you have a source?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 04:12 pm
FreeDuck wrote:

Your above point is based on the incorrect premise that, "regarding civilians as acceptable targets is what terrorists do." Meaning ONLY terrorists do, and anyone that does that is also a terrorist. No. That's also what we did to end the war with Japan. That's what we did in bombing Dresden. That's what the Nazis did with bombing London with the V-2 rockets. That's what the Nazis did in shooting all Jews, as they advanced further into the Soviet Union in WWII. So, if nations did that also, that doesn't make nations terrorists. It just means that terrorists and nations have used civilians as targets. Terrorists don't morph into nations, and nations don't morph into terrorists, just because they may use the same targets. It seems that this is a semantical problem in that, in my opinion, you seem to want to include, anyone that targets civilians, as "terrorists." Incorrect logic. The term terrorist is not the focus; the correct focus is what terrorism's aim is - to spread terror to achieve a goal. Nations have done that and political movements have done that. The political movements are sometimes referred to colloquially as "terrorists."

Also, terrorists target whatever, or whoever, might further their goals. And, let's not forget some terrorists may also be called rebels, and if successful they become the new government. So, again, the term terrorist is just an exercise in semantics. Since the terrorists referred to in this thread are not "rebel" terrorists, but external terrorists, they are a subset of the general term terrorist.

And, it has nothing to do with, "he hit me first." That is a non-sequitor.

The reason, I believe, that civilians were historically not targets is perhaps because civilians, and their farm animals, crops, etc., were "the spoils of war." One doesn't damage the spoils of war.

I would like to think that civilians wouldn't be targets by anyone, nation or terrorist, but modern history seems to be showing that that is not the case.
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 11:59 am
Re: Dershowitz: US should launch preemptive strikes on civil
candidone1 wrote:
Last night Alan Dershowitz was on Glen Beck's program.

Dershowitz claimed that because the enemy in Iraq play by different set of rules than the US military, so the American military needs to change the rules regarding how they fight the enemy. He advocated taking preemptive action against civilians who (and I am paraphrasing, feel free to correct my account is incorrect) are near the enemy, who cheer for the enemy, or who appear to support the enemy.

Anyone else catch this?
I wanted to discuss this a bit further, but am afraid that I may have misinterpreted or misunderstood the message.

thats AIPAC ethics, straight from Tel Aviv...........
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 01:35 pm
Foofie wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:

Your above point is based on the incorrect premise that, "regarding civilians as acceptable targets is what terrorists do." Meaning ONLY terrorists do, and anyone that does that is also a terrorist. No. That's also what we did to end the war with Japan. That's what we did in bombing Dresden. That's what the Nazis did with bombing London with the V-2 rockets. That's what the Nazis did in shooting all Jews, as they advanced further into the Soviet Union in WWII. So, if nations did that also, that doesn't make nations terrorists. It just means that terrorists and nations have used civilians as targets. Terrorists don't morph into nations, and nations don't morph into terrorists, just because they may use the same targets. It seems that this is a semantical problem in that, in my opinion, you seem to want to include, anyone that targets civilians, as "terrorists." Incorrect logic. The term terrorist is not the focus; the correct focus is what terrorism's aim is - to spread terror to achieve a goal. Nations have done that and political movements have done that. The political movements are sometimes referred to colloquially as "terrorists."

Also, terrorists target whatever, or whoever, might further their goals. And, let's not forget some terrorists may also be called rebels, and if successful they become the new government. So, again, the term terrorist is just an exercise in semantics. Since the terrorists referred to in this thread are not "rebel" terrorists, but external terrorists, they are a subset of the general term terrorist.

The reason, I believe, that civilians were historically not targets is perhaps because civilians, and their farm animals, crops, etc., were "the spoils of war." One doesn't damage the spoils of war.

I would like to think that civilians wouldn't be targets by anyone, nation or terrorist, but modern history seems to be showing that that is not the case.

Saddam has been criticized by this administration for having "using WMD on his own people"--referring to the gassing of the Kurds in Halabja in 1988. By some accounts, these deaths were know colloquially as collateral damage, or simply a consequence of Saddam's attempt at crushing a decades long insurgency.
By others, the Kurdish deaths were the result of chemical weapons use by both Iraq and Iran. The Kurds happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. "Killing his own people", then, is subject to relativist arguments.

Let's fast forward for a second to the US led invasion of Iraq...where domestic body "accounting" isn't even taking place.... a place where countless documented atrocities have been and continue to be committed by the US forces against Iraqis and have been for nearly half a decade.

In what can be best described by the administration as a Shock and Awe campaign, an unaccounted for number of innocent men, women and children died as a result of the indiscriminate (indiscriminate because not every target was of military or strategic import, so not every casualty was a military or Baathist casualty) bombing campaigns by US forces. One would assume that because the American forces invaded to "liberate" the Iraqis, the innocent civilians were on their side, but they were bombed anyway, and died all the same.

If Saddam's means were morally repugnant to the current administration, then so should the means of the current administration.

But because there are apologists like you around, the end justifies the means.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 03:54 pm
candidone1 wrote:
Foofie wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:

Saddam has been criticized by this administration for having "using WMD on his own people"--referring to the gassing of the Kurds in Halabja in 1988. By some accounts, these deaths were know colloquially as collateral damage, or simply a consequence of Saddam's attempt at crushing a decades long insurgency.
By others, the Kurdish deaths were the result of chemical weapons use by both Iraq and Iran. The Kurds happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. "Killing his own people", then, is subject to relativist arguments.

Let's fast forward for a second to the US led invasion of Iraq...where domestic body "accounting" isn't even taking place.... a place where countless documented atrocities have been and continue to be committed by the US forces against Iraqis and have been for nearly half a decade.

In what can be best described by the administration as a Shock and Awe campaign, an unaccounted for number of innocent men, women and children died as a result of the indiscriminate (indiscriminate because not every target was of military or strategic import, so not every casualty was a military or Baathist casualty) bombing campaigns by US forces. One would assume that because the American forces invaded to "liberate" the Iraqis, the innocent civilians were on their side, but they were bombed anyway, and died all the same.

If Saddam's means were morally repugnant to the current administration, then so should the means of the current administration.

But because there are apologists like you around, the end justifies the means.

If it's your opinion that I am an apologist, that is your prerogative to have an opinion of what I do; however, not being a mind reader, you don't know if my apology is based on "the end justifies the means." My apology may be based on pure base triumphalism, reminiscent of Pax Romana.
0 Replies