My five year old complained about being fat!

Linkat

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 11:37 am
I know many of you heard my complaints of being asked if I was gaining weight, but this is a real concern. My five year old was whining that she was fat, not thin like her younger sister. What the h*ll at 5, concerned about her weight! I have since I can remember, rubbed her little belly and say how much I love her big belly. How cute her belly is and I do - I love baby and young children's bellies - they are supposed to be chubby. And she does have a big belly like most normal Pre-schoolers and toddlers have.

I told her that when she gets to her sister's age, she will be thin too. You are supposed to have a little belly when you are 5. And I told her that her belly is perfect just the way it is.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 993 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Mame

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 11:41 am
Has your husband been talking about your "weight gain" around her? That's way too young to be worried about such things.

Were you chubby at that age? Maybe you can try and find some pics to compare then and now to reassure her. Or of her sister.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 11:45 am
Actually no - my husband only made that one comment. He learned quickly to keep his mouth shut about it.

Yes, that thought about showing her pictures of her sister when she was younger. I can still picture her chubby little tummy. I honestly love that stage with the fat cheek and the tummy - its so cute. She is actually beginning to outgrow her tummy and has already started to slim down.

I wonder if something was brought up at the grandparents house...I remember now how she mentioned her cousin was not fat - she is a year older than my daughter (and actually had the opposite problem of not gaining enough weight).
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 11:48 am
Is it possible something was discussed at school? I saw in our local paper that they were going to introduce the idea of eating right and staying healthy to elementary school children. I do live in an area that has a lot of childhood obesity, but I think it's the parents that need the education.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 11:54 am
Children here get the same ideas - 'anti-childhood-obesity-education' is done in kindergarten (that's up to six years old, before they go to primary school later).
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 11:57 am
Could be anything - she was at my parents house during the day - the night she was complaining to me about it. My niece was there as well. Since my daughter mentioned her cousin was thinner than her I now wonder if my niece said something to her.
0 Replies