real life

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 03:46 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
RL, I take it you're still researching the rebuttal to my earlier post concerning the myths of your holy book.

If you want to discuss these one at a time, that's fine. Pick one.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 03:55 pm
According to the Bible plant life was created before the sun.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 04:12 pm
The god concept (and perhaps the big bang as well) represent attempts to make sense of the Big Picture. I see them as fictions, the second is proving to be increasingly more convincing, or useful, than the first. Someone once asked a practicioner of zen the question "What is zen?" (the equivalent, I suppose, of the meaning of Ultimate Reality). The practicioner answered "I have no idea", a reflection of his spiritual achievement rather than a confession of spiritual impotence.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 04:27 pm
Only in religion could an admission of not having a clue be taken as great understanding of the subject.

Alternatively can you imagine:-

Interviewer...So you have applied for the position of Chief Economist. Can you tell me Mr X what the term economics means for the ordinary person?

Job applicant. Dunno mate, haven't the foggiest idea.

Interviewer...Excellent. Profound grasp of the subject is just what we need.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 04:34 pm
Catholic religion is full of culture.
There are some Germans who know their mothers but fathers are not though still they are alive and active.

80000 children are born out of celebacy
Any comment?
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 05:00 pm
Steve, note that it was a Zen practitioner. The same question would probably have taken on a very different meaning for many Christians and Muslims say, when it seems good Bible / Quran knowledge is a pre-req for kudos. Also, a reply of "no idea" would likely be received in less than congratulatory terms for a serious practitioner in those religions. Technically they may all be religions but they are, 99% of the time, millennia apart.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 05:07 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
Only in marriage could an admission of not having a clue be taken as great understanding of the subject.

Wife...So you have applied for the position of Husband. Can you tell me Mr X what the term Husbandry means for the ordinary person?

Job applicant. Dunno mate, haven't the foggiest idea, something about animals or doggy-style maybe?

Wife...Excellent. Profound grasp of the subject is just what we need.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 05:11 pm
Chumly wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
Only in marriage could an admission of not having a clue be taken as great understanding of the subject.

Wife...So you have applied for the position of Husband. Can you tell me Mr X what the term Husbandry means for the ordinary person?

Job applicant. Dunno mate, haven't the foggiest idea, something about animals or doggy-style maybe?

Wife...Excellent. Profound grasp of the subject is just what we need.
hey chum you should make it clear I didnt say that. ok let it go this time :wink:
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 05:15 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:
Catholic religion is full of culture.
There are some Germans who know their mothers but fathers are not though still they are alive and active.

Any comment?
yes what the ramafuchs are you on about?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 05:16 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:
Any comment?
Stay way from toilet seats.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 05:48 pm
I am of the opinion that hypocracy should be exposed and we are not toilet culture to ****.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 07:11 pm
The reference to toilet seats comes from an old wifes' tale that a girl can get pregnant by sitting on the toilet, this (unnaturally) ties in with your reference to 80,000 virgin births.

Alas, in responding to you I'm likely laboring under the law of diminishing returns.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 10:16 pm
Chumly wrote:

One day before.

So?
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 10:25 pm
real life wrote:
Chumly wrote:

One day before.

So?

So it shows that the human authors either

a) lacked the ability to think locially
b) never thought that it's followers would question the teachings.

T
K
O
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 11:41 pm
Chumly wrote:
Are you sure it says that?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 12:07 am
Thanks, Ashers.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 12:23 am
neologist wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Are you sure it says that?
Yep!

Asimov: They have that backward, and they have plant life being created before the sun. All the evidence we have indicates that this is not so.

001:011 And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.

001:012 And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

001:013 And the evening and the morning were the third day.

001:014 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

001:015 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.

001:016 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

001:017 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light
upon the earth,

001:018 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the
light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.

001:019 And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 05:44 am
real life wrote:
Chumly wrote:

One day before.

So?

Yeh, come on, we're talking about God here, he could have done anything he wanted. And he works in mysterious ways, so what he chose to do doesn't even have to make any sense to us.

A day, a year, a billion years, none of it matters, reality is a whim to God. Poof whatever, poof whatever, poof whatever.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 05:57 am
Diest TKO wrote:
real life wrote:
Chumly wrote:

One day before.

So?

So it shows that the human authors either

a) lacked the ability to think locially
b) never thought that it's followers would question the teachings.

T
K
O

do you think plant life would be unable to survive a day without sun, especially since there was already light (light was created the first day) ?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 06:39 am
rl please dont tell me you believe in the literal truth of the biblical creation myth?
0 Replies