rosborne979

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 03:45 pm
Setanta wrote:
Ooooo . . . that's a keeper.

So, "real life," if one is not to take the bobble literally, that rather shoots all of your young earth creationist horseshit in the ass, n'est-ce pas?

I bet he chooses to cherry-pick what's literal and what's not, and I expect a big dose of creative interpretation mixed in there as well.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 03:50 pm
The boy should have been on the stage . . . he's quite the dancer . . .
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 09:19 pm
Setanta wrote:
.......if one is not to take the bobble literally......

rosborne979 wrote:
I bet he chooses to cherry-pick what's literal and what's not.....

I have frequently said that there is NO one who takes ALL of the Bible literally.

You cannot find such a person.

I have also said that I can, with little effort, find passages in the Bible that YOU will , without question, take literally.

The question , then, is always........which ones to take literally........and which ones NOT to take literally.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 09:28 pm
BDV wrote:
BDV wrote:
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. Isaiah 45:7

....... the bible and it says quite clearly that .....god...... created evil.......

You know, it would have helped if you had really read my whole post, including:

Quote:
Just as when the light is covered you experience darkness, so when you turn away from God there is evil.

He compares 'evil' to 'darkness'. They are both 'created' in the same way. By removing something.

How does one 'create' a vacuum?
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 02:31 am
Sunni extremists whipping themselves is not necessarily evil, but whoever instructs them to do so is.

to beat a masochist if asked, because they will gain pleasure from it is not evil, but to beat a masochist either without knowing they are one, or with the intention to do damage beyond what they are known to enjoy is evil.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 04:59 am
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:

rosborne979 wrote:

I have frequently said that there is NO one who takes ALL of the Bible literally.

I have also said that I can, with little effort, find passages in the Bible that YOU will , without question, take literally.

The question , then, is always........which ones to take literally........and which ones NOT to take literally.

And the point is that your selective acceptance of some passages as literal and revealed truth, but not all passages, beggars any claim that the bobble constitutes divinely inspired, inerrant truth. Were that the case, all passages would be taken literally and without question.

As for what you have frequently said about the bobble, that's news to me. Perhaps you can provide some citations.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 05:00 am
What makes any of that "evil," Rockpie? Upon what basis, other than your subjective judgment, do you assert that anything is evil?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 06:09 am
Setanta wrote:
What makes any of that "evil," Rockpie? Upon what basis, other than your subjective judgment, do you assert that anything is evil?
I suspect that's a little above his pay grade, and mine too. What seems good for the individual may not be good for the group. And seen from outside the group it might be considered pure evil. We are wandering into a morass of moral relativism. I'm content with the broad principle that good works in a way that enhances life in some way, and bad or evil pushes in the other direction.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 06:36 am
My God!!! (pun intended) the biggest bang since the big one and my f'n client has me working and I miss it. The bible ISN'T the literal word of God!!! Say it isn't true Shane, say it isn't TRUE!

Hmmm... just spiballin' but I'm guessing that the literal truth is what ever supports RLs beliefs. Hmmm...just one of those happy coincidences I guess.

But based on the infallibility of RL's post, especially those on science, if he is not qualified to interpret the truth of the bible for us who is???
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 06:55 am
I dont understand religion. So I'll leave it to people who do

Quote:
Umar Islam, 29, says "Sheikh Osama" has "inspired me personally to follow the true path of the prophet".

The video shows him saying Allah "loves us to die and kill in his path".
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 07:06 am
real life wrote:
How does one 'create' a vacuum?
With a vacuum pump. But there is no such thing as a perfect vacuum. On earth the lowest pressure that has been achieved is in the order 10^-12 mbar. (please someone tell me I'm wrong here) The problem is the surface of the container starts to outgas. Even interstellar space is not "empty". And at a the level of sub atomic particles and quantum theory, its speculated that space itself has a granular structure. Ok thats me done.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 07:08 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
Setanta wrote:
I suspect that's a little above his pay grade, and mine too. What seems good for the individual may not be good for the group. And seen from outside the group it might be considered pure evil. We are wandering into a morass of moral relativism. I'm content with the broad principle that good works in a way that enhances life in some way, and bad or evil pushes in the other direction.

I have no quarrel with that, barring that a distinction between what is bad and what is "evil" usually implies some absolute "evil" which exists independently--it has the flavor of religious doctrine. That does not alter, however, that perceptions of good and bad are subjective judgments--they are opinions.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 07:33 am
I think you are off by one zero. I believe that CERN has achieved one tenth of that value. It is interesting that lower values may have been reached by the technology being used, but at this level the measuring apparatus becomes the weak link in the system. Put another way, no one can figure out how to measure this low a pressure without affecting the vacuum produced.

I'm still trying to get over the bible thing. Does this mean the Rabbi can't kill someone for picking up sticks on Saturday? WHAT is this world coming to?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 11:24 am
Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:

rosborne979 wrote:

And the point is that your selective acceptance of some passages as literal and revealed truth, but not all passages, beggars any claim that the bobble constitutes divinely inspired, inerrant truth. Were that the case, all passages would be taken literally and without question.

Nonsense. There is a difference between acceptance of a passage as truth and whether the passage should be interpreted literally or not.

A distinction which is apparently lost on you.

Setanta wrote:
As for what you have frequently said about the bobble, that's news to me. Perhaps you can provide some citations.

Some of my comments on 'literal' interpretation:

http://able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2052797#2052797

http://able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2107244#2107244

http://able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2316287#2316287

http://able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3011475#3011475

http://able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2573792#2573792

http://able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3013744#3013744

I'll look up this time. Next time you're on your own. Cool
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 11:35 am
real life wrote:
Nonsense. There is a difference between acceptance of a passage as truth and whether the passage should be interpreted literally or not.

The only nonsense here is to assert that the bobble is a source of divinely-inspired, inerrant truth, while claiming that it needs to be properly interpreted. Basically, you're saying your boy god plays word games with people--that he plays fast and loose with revealed truth with the very people who rely on him/her/it to steer them straight toward "salvation." On that basis, it becomes a crap shoot whether or not one can find the right path to eternal glory. (Personally, i'll pass on the prospect of spending eternity singing praise to that puerile ego-maniac.)

Quote:
A distinction which is apparently lost on you.

Nothing is lost on me, because there is no distinction. Either your text is divinely-inspired, inerrant revealed truth, or it's a word game--it can't be both. And you prefer the word game, because you'd otherwise be unable to defend your idiotic pronouncements. Your stupid attempt to squabble with BDV over a passage of scripture in which your imaginary friend states that he/she/it created evil is a perfect case in point. It disagrees with your poofist propaganda, so you deny that it means what it patently says.

Liar.

Moron.

Quote:
I'll look up this time. Next time you're on your own.

I don't give a rat's ass whether you have a history of peddling the basis for your lies or not--so i'll not be looking any such thing up, now or in the future.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 12:03 pm
Ordinary human conversation includes a rich mix of literal and figurative speech.

So does the Bible.

You want to pretend that this is a problem, but it's not.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 12:12 pm
The bobble is not at all the same as conversation. At best, it's tag-team monologue.

I don't contend that that is a problem, so you're just telling more lies, which is typical of you.

The problem arises when bullshit merchants like you come along luring the unwary with your version of the "meaning" of ambiguities in scripture. The problem comes from the fact that your book of half-truths and fairy tales passed off as history is presented to the gullible as revealed truth, as divinely inspired inerrant truth.

I don't have any problem at all understanding the nuances and structures of conversation (which scripture is not) or of literature (of which scripture is but a paltry, second-rate example)--and i don't expect to find undeniable facts about reality in such sources.

Your problem is that you take a pathetic collection of folk tales, many of them plagiarized from the more intelligent and sophisticated neighbors of the Hebrew hillbillies and attempt to claim that it is divinely-inspired, revealed truth. Then when you are asked for any plausible evidence to support your claims, you start whining about what can and cannot be proven, and how nobody can prove that love is real, and that someone cannot prove what they ate for breakfast.

Taken all in all, you're a sorry case. So is your imaginary friend fairy tale, and so is your "holy" scripture.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 01:01 pm
How funny your elitist view is.

Others who don't see it your way are 'the unwary' and 'the gullible'. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 01:32 pm
What could possibly be more elitist than someone who thinks they can interpret the unerring word of God? That's gotta be pretty thin air up where you live. Especially when you consider that you can differentiate that when God say he created all he was being literal, when he says he created good he was being literal, when he said he created man in his image he was being literal, when he said he created the world in six days he was being literal, but when he said:
Quote:

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. Isaiah 45:7

He was just, what, talking sh*t?

It's amazing that with that ability you can't seem to interpret any field of science correctly.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 02:35 pm
real life wrote:
How funny your elitist view is.

Others who don't see it your way are 'the unwary' and 'the gullible'.

I didn't say that people who don't agree with me are unwary or gullible--i said that people who buy into the bullshit that you peddle are unwary and gullible. It is, you know, entirely possible that any number of people who do believe in god, who do consider that there is some value in the bobble don't agree with your bullshit.
0 Replies