Grammar Question

Quincy

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 06:17 am
"It was discovered that 3.5 million kilograms of carbon dioxide was emitted over a 24 hour period along a 600 kilometre road."

Is "was" meant to be "were" since "kilograms" is plural?

The sentence is ambiguous because it sounds as though the 24 hour period is along the road, instead of the emitted CO2. Is this due to a mis-related participle? If so, what is the guilty participle?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 947 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Tigershark

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 06:22 am
Was, in relation to 'It' is correct.

'It were discovered...' ?? Laughing
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 01:43 pm
I meant the second "was".
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 02:36 pm
I would have said the second "was" should be "were", but maybe we should wait for the final arbiter of English grammar (Queen's or not) to show up tell us the right answer.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 03:37 pm
The 3.5 million kilogrammes of carbon dioxide is a weight, therefore "was" is correct. 3.5 million 1 Kg cylinders of carbon dioxide are a countable quantity, therefore "were".

3.5 million Kg is the same as 3500 metric tonnes which sounds less sensational, so depending on which side of the GW debate you are on, it might be preferable...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 03:47 pm
"Carbon dioxide was released"--singular subject, singular verb form.

Next?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 04:51 pm
I would say, "3.5 millon kilogrammes of carbon dioxide" is meant as a discrete quantity, and therefore takes a singular verb.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 04:56 pm
Re: Grammar Question
Quincy wrote:
"It was discovered that 3.5 million kilograms of carbon dioxide was emitted over a 24 hour period along a 600 kilometre road."

The sentence is ambiguous because it sounds as though the 24 hour period is along the road, instead of the emitted CO2.

This kind of ambiguity happens all the time, but I think when the meaning is clear, we should accept it, as in this case.
When the meaning is actually ambiguous, usually a more involved and unlovely form of words is necessary to make the intended meaning clear.
Personally I'm all for simplicity.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 08:57 am
So, is, "amongst the crowd" wrong because a crowd is one thing? As in "You can see them amongst the crowd".

And this sentence: "It was discovered that 3.5 million kilograms of carbon dioxide was emitted over a 24 hour period along a 600 kilometre road" is fine with regard to the dangling (or not) participle?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 12:07 pm
Quincy wrote:
So, is, "amongst the crowd" wrong because a crowd is one thing? As in "You can see them amongst the crowd".

Why are you bothered about this? You can say "in the crowd" as well as "amongst the crowd" so I suppose the concept of "crowd" can be singular or many, but personally I don't think it matters.

Quote:

And this sentence: "It was discovered that 3.5 million kilograms of carbon dioxide was emitted over a 24 hour period along a 600 kilometre road" is fine with regard to the dangling (or not) participle?

I don't understand the question but the sentence is fine.

What is a dangling or not participle? No, don't tell me, I feel the knowledge will not make me any happier.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 01:46 pm
Ok, I won't bore you with participles. Something about the sentence "It is possible to discern demarcations amongst the crowd" seems wrong to me, but I can't say exactly what.

Another question Very Happy : "I have an unfortnate announcement"- surely the announcement can't be unfortunate, can it?

I know this comes across as splitting hairs and making mountains out of mole hills (yes, yes, cliches), but I was just wondering about this, and it's eating me at the back of my mind.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 02:29 pm
Quincy wrote:
Ok, I won't bore you with participles. Something about the sentence "It is possible to discern demarcations amongst the crowd" seems wrong to me, but I can't say exactly what.

"Amongst" goes with plural objects whereas "within" would be better for a collective noun such as crowd, herd, flock perhaps?

Quote:
Another question Very Happy : "I have an unfortunate announcement"- surely the announcement can't be unfortunate, can it?

Yes it can easily. These are all possible sysnonyms of "unfortunate" -- it doesn't just mean "unlucky" or "ill-fated" -- and at least the ones in bold, it seems to me, could be applied to an announcement:

abortive, afflictive, apocalyptic, awful, awkward, bad[/b], badly off, baleful, baneful, black, bodeful, boding, bootless, calamitous, catastrophic, cursed, dark, deplorable, depressed, dire, disastrous, dismal, distressing, disturbing, donsie, doomed, doomful, dreary, evil, evil-starred, failed, failing, fatal, fateful, foreboding, forlorn, fortuneless, fruitless, funest, futile, gloomy, graceless, grievous, hapless, hard-luck guy, hardcase, heartbreaking, ill, ill off, ill-advised, ill-boding, ill-chosen, ill-considered, ill-fated, ill-omened, ill-seasoned, ill-starred, ill-suited, ill-timed, impolitic, improper, in adverse circumstances, inadvisable, inappropriate, inapt, inauspicious, incongruous, inconvenient, ineffective, ineffectual, inefficacious, inept, inexpedient, infelicitous, inopportune, intempestive, intrusive, irrelevant, lame, lamentable, late, loser, lowering, luckless, mal a propos, malapropos, malefic, manque, menacing, miscarried, miscarrying, miserable, mistimed, of evil portent, of no effect, off base, ominous, out of line, out of luck, out of phase, out of place, out of time, pathetic, pitiable, planet-struck, poor, poor unfortunate, portending, portentous, premature, regrettable, ruinous, sad, sad sack, schlemiel, schlimazel, short of luck, sinister, sombre, star-crossed, starred, stickit, stillborn, successless, sure loser, terrible, threatening, too late, too soon, tragic, unbefitting, unblessed, underprivileged, undesirable, unfavorable, unfit, unfitting, unhandy, unhappy, unlucky, unmeet, unprofitable, unpromising, unpropitious, unprosperous, unprovidential, unready, unripe, unseasonable, unseemly, unsuccessful, unsuitable, untimely, untoward, unwise, upsetting, useless, victim, woebegone, woeful, wretched, wrong
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 08:57 am
Thanks contrex, and thank-you very much every one who answered my anal questions Laughing
0 Replies