yiddish pronunciation

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 05:37 pm
I am trying to find an on-line audio somewhere that might help me say this phrase correctly. Az der bubbe vot gehat baytzim volt zi geven mein zayde.

I generally find German fairly easy to pronounce but I'm not sure here. I've heard the phrase many times but it just wouldn't stick. Thanks for any help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,527 • Replies: 7
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 06:50 pm
Re: yiddish pronunciation
missconduct wrote:
I am trying to find an on-line audio somewhere that might help me say this phrase correctly. Az der bubbe vot gehat baytzim volt zi geven mein zayde.

I generally find German fairly easy to pronounce but I'm not sure here. I've heard the phrase many times but it just wouldn't stick. Thanks for any help.

I only know a few of the words. Bubbe is grandmother and Zayde is grandfather. I realize you weren't looking for a translation but hey, I don't recall a lotta Yiddish. Smile

As for pronunciation, for Bubbe, the u is like the oo in book. The e is short, kind of like the e in get.

For Zayde, the ay is long like the ay in day. The e is similar to the e in Bubbe.

For the sentence, Az der bubbe vot gehat baytzim volt zi geven mein zayde, I am guessing it is pronounced kind of like this: oz dur bubbe vut g'hot baytzeem vult zih gevayn mine zayde

Keep in mind, though, that I've pretty much only heard Yiddish as spoken by Brooklynites. Your mileage may vary.

PS On my husband's side, they pronounced Bubbe as if it rhymed with tubby. So there are differences even in New York.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 06:53 pm
To my ear, it sounds just like you wrote it. Wouldn't you know that there would be an intellectual article on this, shall we say, less than intellectual sentence? Laughing

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/academic/languages/yiddish/mendele/vol4.118
0 Replies

missconduct

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 09:08 am
thanks
Thanks Jespah

You've told me just what I needed. I worked in a company owned and operated by a Jewish family. The girls would entertain me with stories of their childhood and little sayings of the elders. They would say this so fast, I could never learn it. I think it is a jewel. It is an equally intellectual response to a child's endless questioning. In my vast white anglo-saxon world, the most intellectual reply I ever got was, "Shut up and go play."
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 11:12 am
missconduct
I never heard that expression However I think it transulates as
If grandma had balls she would have been my grandfather
0 Replies

missconduct

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 06:25 pm
yes
au1929

Yes indeed, and I think it is a most profound statement! First time I heard it, I was shocked that someone's grandma would say such a thing (I'm a Southerner) but I lovd the way it rolled off the tongue of the young Jewish girl who told me. It's a classic.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 07:43 pm
au1929 wrote:
missconduct
I never heard that expression However I think it transulates as
If grandma had balls she would have been my grandfather

The other saying that fits is:

"You'll never be the man, your mother is".
0 Replies

missconduct

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 10:01 am
yiddish
Thanks for that! What is the origin?
0 Replies