DIY Privacy Fence

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 02:35 pm
I am looking on line for instructions on building a privacy fence. I can't seem to find anything.

Am I looking in the wrong place? Do I have to go buy a book (worth it to save the money doing it ourselves). Has anyone here built a privacy fence and lived to tell about it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,660 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 03:52 pm
I helped build one in Texas, but we had to take it down because it was too tall (and there were regulations for the height of a permissible fence).

Afterwards, we put a fence around a smaller enclosure, and were able to achieve the same results.

So my only tip is, that if there is a certain spot you want privacy for (e.g. a pool, patio or jacuzzi) building a fence just around that spot (and not the whole yard for e.g.) can have better results.

In a large yard, a fence can provide little privacy at certain heights. For a smaller enclosure, even a short fence provides a lot more privacy.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 03:56 pm
Looks like you might be able to find something here:

http://www.the-landscape-design-site.com/directory/gardenfences.html

http://www.ufpi.com/literature/wfinstall-132.pdf
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 04:01 pm
I don't know whether this is what you mean, but I put in some 6' stockade
fencing at my place. I had the sections and posts delivered and put them
up myself with the help of my sons.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 04:04 pm
http://www.fairwayvinyl.com/techhelp/Fence/Privacy%20Fence.pdf

http://www.ehow.com/how_2106485_install-vinyl-fence.html
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 04:32 pm
I've designed many fences/walls and built a few of each.

Two things -

Go to the local department of building and safety, whatever they call it in your area, and get a copy of either a detail or a description from them, which will have maximum height, etc. Or, should you want to avoid them, look online - but you don't have to tell them who you are, you're just wondering..

Buy a book or even two books. Places like Lowe's and Home Depot usually have an adequate selection. If you live anywhere near an art and architecture bookstore, an hour's worth of browsing may give you nifty ideas you wouldn't have thought of, and those ideas might not necessarily be harder to do. Depending on your house/condo/whatever design, some choices may "fit" better than others re looks. Cooments like Robert's are useful, he's right, you may want diffenent lengths to be more or less private.

Have fun....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 04:47 pm
As for height, there is different tolerance for varied heights depending on where you are. 6'-0" is fairly usual in California, but some places allow higher in some circumstances. Deer fences are routinely higher, but the one's I've been involved in designing have been within a setback line where the over - 6' height was fine.

Some neighbors agree on higher in the back of the houses, but that can be iffy, if not right away, over time. Many build a fence in two parts, so the top too-high part can be removed.

At my own last house, I wanted the fence going from the Face of House across the fairly large side yard to be higher than 6' - 0" and drew up a plan, showed the city, got a permit to do that; I think at it's highest it was just under 7'. No big deal and the fence looked right re the window top lines... and looked good re the house next door too.

Some communities can be fierce about that, so ask. Also ask if you need a permit in any case. As far as I know, they just whizzed by mine in a car...

Another consideration is the wind where you live. There is much to be said for treating fences like trees. Those with some room for air to go through can be better at withstanding serious wind.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 04:49 pm
Also, I've not heard them called privacy fences all that often. Floating jargon... try just looking up 'fences'.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 04:52 pm
(damn floating apostrophes...)
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 04:58 pm
Hey, Bella, I hope you don't mind if I use your thread to ask Osso a quick question...

Would height regulations be the same for hedges as for fences, would you think, Osso? I ask because someone's built a house at the end of the property where I grew up, and my mom and I were hoping to grow a really tall hedge to block having to look at their house... I've looked up the county's code online, but it doesn't talk about that as far as I can find.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 05:35 pm
I put in the street-facing portions of our privacy fence; the neighbors already had the rest of the yard fenced in.

Fortunately, I only had to dig eight holes, so I didn't bother renting an auger. I highly recommend renting an auger if you place more than a few posts. Even then you might have to dig out some of the hole by hand, as you want the bottom of the hole wider than the top.

A book is definitely worth it; it can save you a great deal of time.

Here's the basics, though:

Dig the hole. 18-24" if I recall correctly (better check me on this). Widen the bottom so that the hole is narrow at the top and wide at the bottom.
Put an inch or so of quickcrete in the bottom of the hole
Put the post in the hole.
Fill the hole with quickcrete, making sure that the post is entirely surrounded.
Add the right amount of water to the quickcrete. Allow to cure.
Attach the pickets to the rails. (I made a jig that allowed me to place the first picket perpendicular to the rails, then a little wooden spacer let me put each add'l picket at even spacings.)
Attach the rails/pickets to the posts.

Some things to think about:
1. How far apart do you want your posts? You may wish to measure an existing fence, and verify that your materials will work with that length.
2. You either need to trim the bottom off the gate pickets, or leave a couple inches ground clearance all around the fence. Otherwise, the gate drags or your gate sticks up above the rest of the fence.

I have one great tip for when you're placing the rails and pickets:
Attach the pickets with one deck screw centered on where the picket and rail cross. Now, if you have a slope, you just tilt the rails, and the pickets can swivel.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 05:36 pm
Something else to think about: How wide do you want the gate(s)? Beef up the foundation for the posts that support the gate.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 05:44 pm
Cypher, I bet it's okay.

In a few places, like, ah.... oceanside properties, all hell can break loose.

I'm not sure, other than view questions, that all that many give a hoot about plant height, in back yards (waiting for arguments).

But in front yards, there are stalwart believers that a front yard is both private property and, sociologically, community, and many city entities go for community, re visibility, thus a usual 42" max height. I'm stalwart on this myself, but don't apply my then local view to every place on earth, as I also love Mexico's houses around a courtyard. My favorite yard design makes the front yard a courtyard in at least some ways.

I've heard of places that zero in on hedges, but not experienced that myself. Heh, a close friend grew a very tall hedge in the wrong place and there was no complaint.

I would suppose that that is watched more in the more regulated, gated or not, communities with a capital C.

So, Cypher, are you talking back or front yard? In the front, one can presumably plant trees with some verdant undergrowth. Though, as I just said, I've a friend who planted an eight foot hedge ('course she kept it to that as a meticulous gardener). On the side yard and back, I might wonder re the size of the sideyard, not so much re rules but re fire questions. So, to separate the sideyard for comment - at least in CA there needs to be, what, usually at least 10 or back in Venice, something like 10% of the property as setback, as low as, say, 8', between the houses, re building in the first place but also re structure for fire to travel by, or "ladder". If the situation is that tight, and you're in a fire zone, I'd do some posts to allowed height, perhaps cables, perhaps lacy vine kept well watered and trimmed. Or maybe not, as neighbor would also have to trim. Maybe opaque plexiglass. Talking off the top of my head, but the point is, don't add to a fire situation.

In the back, it has not been my experience that cities have gone after hedges, but my experience has been in city housing and not within designed tracts except for preliminary design of them, g'help me. Not sure if either of those or more rural is where your mother lives.

I say this as a present townhouse owner from surely the one of the worst tract developers in history. My history anyway. While I've done gardens in tracts, I've not dealt all that many times with "very watchful communities". Thus can't quite tell you not to worry about hedges.

And, the point of much argument about hedges is re letting sun into the neighbors' yard. Unless she'd be occluding their sun....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 05:46 pm
Sorry, Bella - posting too much again.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 06:01 pm
I'm not going to comment on detailing. See city drawings.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 06:11 pm
Er, I don't want to shut anyone else off of commenting on detailing and procedure.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 08:19 pm
Ooh, interesting info! thanks, Osso...

It's a rural area - out of town, along a highway, not in a neighborhood or anything. It's about an acre of land, used to be 1.5 acres before my grandfather sold off the .5 at the far end. It would be the side of the two lots. So the hedge/fence wouldn't be too close to either house, but it would shade part of their yard in the morning...and it would block their view of our acre of apple trees so I doubt they'd like it--but, see, our view right now, where it used to be a hillside and trees, is of their RV, backhoe, old truck, dirt bikes, camper shells, various oddments such as tarps 'n' tires, dirt piles, doghouse, etc... (Man do I hate those neighbors...)

My mom favors a fence, I favor a hedge...sounds like a hedge might be easier as far as fiddly zoning issues.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 08:30 pm
ossobuco wrote:
So, to separate the sideyard for comment - at least in CA there needs to be, what, usually at least 10 or back in Venice, something like 10% of the property as setback, as low as, say, 8', between the houses, re building in the first place but also re structure for fire to travel by, or "ladder".
Oh, one more thing-- I didn't quite understand this part...what's the setback? Is that how close the fence/hedge/whatever can be to the houses?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 10:38 pm
Setback is the number of feet from the property line from which you can build a structure, say a house, garage, carport, and so on. People can do property line fences but only to local height limit (check on that number).

Fencing can cost goodly money. Hedges can be put in in 1 gallon cans every x feet, set back from the line re their expected growth. Hedges need water, at least to establish. Dogs can get through hedges, at least before they grow together.

Tree groves are interesting, if you've room...

Maybe you only need to screen part of their yard...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 10:50 am
Thanks guys!
Lots of info. I must have been having an off Google day....

We need to build a fence for the dogs. 6 feet is as low as we can go. Boxers can jump pretty high.
0 Replies