DIY Privacy Fence

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 12:16 pm
I seem to remember that about boxers...
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 11:58 am
Another tip is to set the outside posts first and run a string between them to keep the rest of the posts in a straight line. Make sure the posts are level, it is easy to knock the posts off level when you are filling the holes with the quikcrete.

Its been over ten years since I worked for a fence company but if you have any more questions I'll see what I can remember.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 12:17 pm
Did anyone mention checking with zoning first to find out what is legal? Some zoning boards will only allow fencing 4' high. Other places will not allow stockade fencing or chain link. We have a couple of towns that require the fencing line start at least 20' back from the center line of the road. Some towns require a permit for any type of fencing installation. Make sure you know where your property begins and ends, you can be sued if you go onto a neighbor's property line.

I suggest hiring a professional whose work you can inspect first, especially if you have ground that is uneven or live in a frost heave area. It's difficult digging proper post holes, leveling fence panels and hanging gates properly. It's easy for it to look like crap and cheapen the value of a house.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 12:21 pm
Ok - just noticed I missed a page of this thread and what I said was covered.

Nevermind.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 12:23 pm
Yes, I wrote to check with the city, earlier. I agree on the wisdom of hiring a professtional, and why.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 02:05 pm
Frost heave is not something I had to consider.

Making the whole thing look nice was just a matter a of bit of trial-and-error.
0 Replies