which one doesn’t belong and why

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 11:07 am
Milkshake, juice, gin, whiskey, milk...
Which one doesn't belong and why?

I've seen this on various tests, but none have told me the correct answer or why. Can anyone here tell me? I found a post from 2006 that has this question, but no answer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,648 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 11:43 am
Milkshakes don't come in bottles.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 11:59 am
And a milkshake is made from a combination of ingredients while the others are full beverages on their own.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 01:45 pm
"juice" because it is completely non-specific?

"A milkshake" is partly specific: we know that a milkshake is made of milk and something else.

we know exactly what gin, whisky ("whiskey" to North Americans and Irish people) and milk are.

"juice" could be anything - carrot, tomato, orange, cranberry, we just don't know.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 02:29 pm
IMO, A milkshake is a drink with milk, and gin is a kind of whiskey, so these two pairs go together. The odd one out is juice.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 01:15 am
Gin is most definitely NOT a "kind of whiskey"! They are both distilled spirits however. Guess you must be an abstainer, Roberta.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 01:31 am
You're right, contrex, I don't drink. Had my spirits mixed up. Sorry.

Cancel my suggested answer.

Here's another: A milkshake is a drink with milk. Whiskey and gin are drinks with alcohol (hope I got that right). These pairs have something in common. Juice is still the odd one out.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 04:40 am
Milk is the only thing that has not undergone mixing, preparation or processing unless you count pasteurisation.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 08:36 am
Milk doesn't have an e in it?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 09:00 am
littlek wrote:
Milk doesn't have an e in it?

Neither does gin.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 01:55 am
Milkshake is a compound word, whereas the others are not. In British English, they tend to be called "milk shakes" rather than "milkshakes".

Again, a milk shake is a mixture, the others are not.

According to Google, the question features in a number of online "IQ" tests. It is a good idea to treat these tests with a great deal of caution. Many such tests are junk: very badly designed and using badly written questions. They often contain bias due to cultural presumptions by the test creators or just plain ignorance. Whole books (and doctoral theses) have been written about this.

Results can be skewed essentially meaningless and many critics find them to be of very limited usefulness indeed, especially outside controlled conditions, (e.g. on websites!)

For example an IQ test which was set for schoolkids in Mexico asked "What do you find fish and salt?" The "answer" was supposed to be "The sea", but a higher proportion of inland dwelling kids answered "The table".
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 02:41 am
How culturally presumptuous of the milkshake to be in a bar with the others.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 05:37 am
It would have its close relative, the "milkshake" for company.
0 Replies

CTwildheart

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 11:13 am
thank you all for your input. I'll be posting more! Smile
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 08:00 am
solipsister wrote:
How culturally presumptuous of the milkshake to be in a bar with the others.

contrex wrote:
It would have its close relative, the "milkshake" for company.

Of course I meant to type that it would have its close relative, the milk for company.
0 Replies