Your renamed-for-the-offseason Super Bowl 'prediction thread

petunia555555

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 09:52 am
It seems optimism is not dead...most people voting for their own teams to win...we are ever hopeful. My first team is Kansas City Chiefs (like I said, ever hopeful) Also the Tennessee Titans...they may have a chance!?!
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 10:20 am
The Titans!

I'd be thrilled if they could avenge their Super oh-so-close loss to the Rams a few years ago.

How interesting, too, it would be if they did so in thier abandoned first hometown of Houston.
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 11:11 am
Nice to see the Hurricanes finally cleaned up their act (well, somewhat). Too bad the Seminoles are still a bunch of bubbleheads (my undergrad school Embarrassed )

Go Aggies!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 01:50 pm
So far today, the Texans refuse to roll over for the Dolphins. Great effort, no matter which team wins.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 01:59 pm
Damn.

Saw this thread, remembered Packers might be on, rushed downstairs, turned it on, saw someone being wheeled off the field in a stretcher. Who who who...? Donald Driver. Oh no.

Watched for a bit, a couple of nice plays, Ferguson is now writhing on the ground. Turned it off.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 02:26 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
So far today, the Texans refuse to roll over for the Dolphins. Great effort, no matter which team wins.

Woo Hoo!

21-20, Houston!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 02:27 pm
Texans win! First expansion team ever to win consecutive home openers.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 05:01 pm
And the Cowboys are losing to Atlanta.

About as sweet a weekend for Houston football fans as it gets.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 05:27 pm
Youse said it, PDid
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 08:59 pm
Texans to the playoffs? Too soon to dare to dream it.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 07:11 pm
Will Rush Limbaugh Denounce the NFL for its Liberalism?

Quote:
It's football season, and Rush Limbaugh has become a football commentator on ESPN.

I don't say this as a prelude to knock Limbaugh as a choice for color commentator (white?), or to suggest that it will be entertaining to see if he can blame every fumble on the Clintons.

No, I'm simply mystified by Limbaugh's giddy enthusiasm for the National Football League, and his claim that he is one of the league's biggest fans. Could it be?

There's nothing Republican about the NFL.

The conservative political riffs that Limbaugh espouses in his day job are anathema to the NFL. It's an institution run with the kind of values he ridicules five days a week.

Do I have to spell it out?

1. The NFL as Great Society

The league runs on the philosophy that it is only as good as its weakest members.

Teams with the worst records get the first draft picks for the next season. Teams with the best records get the worst picks, and then must play a schedule that's tougher than the ones played by the mediocre teams.

Rather than espouse the social Darwinism held so dear by the political right, the NFL goes out of its way to knock down the high achievers in an effort to bolster the underachievers.

2. The NFL as bastion of tax-and-spend philosophy

When NFL owners need a new stadium, they get local governments to pass a new tax. Last year's Super Bowl champs, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, play in a new stadium bought with a sales tax.

3. The NFL as argument for affirmative action

Black coaches in the league are rare. But when one is hired, he tends to perform very well. A study done by a labor economist last year determined that since 1986, black coaches in the NFL have led their teams to the playoffs 67 percent of the time, compared with 39 percent for white coaches.

4. The NFL as tool of the liberal feminist agenda

It's the first major sport in America to embrace women broadcasters. In the 1970s, Phyllis George pioneered a woman's spot in the NFL broadcast booth. And in 1990, when a bunch of semi-naked New England Patriots' players took issue with Boston Herald reporter Lisa Olson for doing locker room interviews, what happened?

Did the league call Olson a femi-Nazi who doesn't belong in an NFL locker room? No. On the contrary, the NFL fined the Patriots and three of the players for harassing her.

5. The NFL as poster child for legal appeals

Republicans love to complain about a legal system run amok, and about how trial lawyers and frivolous lawsuits need to be curbed. And yet, no other sport has a built-in reverence for the appeals process like NFL football does. Games stop while legal appeals are settled. Coaches, acting like sideline lawyers, have their grievances -- frivolous or not -- considered while a stadium full of people wait.

6. The NFL as argument for strong regulation

Major League Baseball is a Republican sport. It allows teams like the New York Yankees to feed off the poorer teams, stripping them of their natural resources and creating a gulf between the haves and the have-nots. But the NFL is different.

The NFL is governed by strict regulatory controls. Salary caps keep individual teams from unfettered excellence. In the NFL, a free market economy is seen to be inferior to highly regulated big-government-style oversight.

Palm Beach Post
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 07:15 pm
ONe word: Patriots!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 07:18 pm
After the last game they played? I don't mean to dis anybody, but, New England? Okay -
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 07:42 pm
The Patsies?

Uh, no. Not this year.

There must be some statistic somewhere that says that no team has ever lost its opener 31-0 and gone on to the Super Bowl.

Bucs and Eagles are pounding on each other tonight...
0 Replies

angie

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 08:59 pm
Former Pats fan here. Current Bills fan.

Bellichick is a real jerk. A robotoc, condescending, jerk. Really stuck it to Bledsoe, after years of putting it all out there every single game. Mattered not. When he got hurt, he was never even given the CHANCE to get his job back.

And now, Bellijerk sticks it to Lawyer Malloy, seven year veteran, heart and soul of the team, etc. And he does it four days before the opening game, thinking it wouldn't matter, completely not understanding the emotional factor.

The "genius" was obviously wrong. He will probably continue to mistreat his players until he does irrevocable damage to the team.

Jerk.

GO DREW ! GO BILLS !
0 Replies

petunia555555

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 09:19 pm
Yeah, Chiefs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, Titans!!!
0 Replies

petunia555555

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 09:20 pm
I will not be watching ESPN pregame shows
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 03:09 pm
I wish you would e-mail ESPN and tell them that, petunia.

This is hilarious; it's from firedavewannstedt.com:

"Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga gives coach Dave Wannstedt his "1,000 per cent" support.

http://firedavewannstedt.com/Untitled-1.gif

You know what absolutely cracks me up? Every time a team loses to the Texans they say, "it's the worst loss in the history of the franchise".
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 10:43 am
ANTONIO'S BACK!!! Wow!!

http://www.madison.com/captimes/sports/packers/56600.php
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 09:32 pm
Texans/Jaguars
Jaguars up by three with two seconds to play. Texans near the goal line. Do they kick a field goal and take it into overtime? What would you do? Texans go for the touchdown. Quarterback sneak; Texans win.
0 Replies