Erik Bloodaxe...Viking at York

Huscarl

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 12:47 pm
This fearsome Norse noble and king of York (Jorvik, 947-54), having just been ousted (again, 954) from York by the local nobles and mighty cleric Wulfstan, under threat of having the region utterly ravaged again by Wessex King Edred, was slain "treacherously" in battle in 954- along with his son, brothers & 'five kings'- on the desolate N.Yorkshire moors "in a certain lonely place called Stainmore..."

Apparently, a coalition of Northumbrians(House of bamburgh) under earl Oswulf, the Cumbrians and the Dublin-Norse had 'ambushed' Erik. He had clearly made many enemies in English exile since murdering some of his brothers in his native Norway years before.

But what was Erik and his valiant army doing so far inland on a desolate moor, when he could have easily sailed off in the Humber to the Orkneys or Europe- as he had two years before during his first exile?

Was Erik marching into exile and out of York and heading N.W towards Carlisle on the old Roman road over the moors (avoiding the Mercian border and also Bamburgh?), maybe to venture out into the Irish sea or maybe Orkneys raiding? Or had he been set up on a meeting with someone (at carlisle?), or perhaps a 'pre-arranged' battle?

His "Bloodaxe" epithet refers mostly to his killing of many of his own brothers in Norway during his youth rather than enemies (though historian Michael Wood describes it as due to "his ruthless bravery" in Russia as a youth), he was more of a warrior and adventurer than a politician- which had earned him many foes...

King Edred clearly saw the self-styled 'independent' king Erik(during his 2nd reign 952-4) as a very serious threat in the north and once again (alledgedly) took steps to get the fierce Norseman removed for good, with alliances composed of those enemies that Erik had made over the years.

The Fagrskinna saga stated that, along with his son Haeric and brother Raegnald, Erik had;-

"So great an army that five kings followed him because he was a valiant man and a battle-winner. He trusted in himself and his army so much that he went far up country, and everywhere he went with warfare."

This actually sounds like Erik was deliberately ravaging the surrounding region, but why, when he would have been better fleeing? Did he intend to simply do this as revenge en route to the W.coast, and to freedom? Had there been land disputes which led to plots with Edred and others (enemies of Erik) to oust him from York in the first place?

In any event,

"Then came against him King Olaf (Earl of Northumbria), a tributary king of King Edmund (Saga erroneously names Edmund, not Edred who was on the throne). ..A dreadful battle ensued in which many English fell, but for every one who fell three came in his place, and when the evening came on the losses turned against the Norsemen and many were killed..."

Clearly Erik had been lured (by a meeting? Or more likely a battle due to the size of his army?) into a colossal ambush, and the predictably fierce pitched battle raged, with English reinforcements (prepared for just this occasion?) that kept moving in to quickly negate losses and late in the day slaughter the surrounded vikings.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,458 • Replies: 14
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 11:58 am
What is the point of all this?
0 Replies

Huscarl

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 01:12 pm
Huh?

Well, what's the point in your question? Or some of the other posts on this board equally? This is the history board, is it not?

Click away if you don't have any answers, I had heard that this site is knowledgeable & welcoming? Clearly not.

History post on history board= what's the point in this?
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 03:12 pm
Huscarl--

Welcome to A2K.

Your first post seemed to be a self-contained announcement. Self-contained announcements don't provoke much conversation.
0 Replies

Huscarl

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 12:57 pm
Noddy24

Ok, perhaps I misunderstood the nature of the history site (being new) and apologise to those that I have alienated.

I am merely interested in this era of history (and others) and wondered if anyone had heard of him. How do you folks get the ball rolling?

Thanks for replying moderately and explaining this. :wink:

Cheers
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 01:18 pm
Huscarl, if you hang around, you will find many people on this board are interested and knowledgeable about the time period you have presented. But as Noddy says, it is best to begin a discussion with something a little more enticing like, "So what about those Vikings?...". Believe me, when properly lured in, others will show up with historical details as thick as blood on a battle axe .
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 02:05 pm
Huscarl--

Why not reply to some other history threads and get to know the history buffs?
0 Replies

Huscarl

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 04:20 pm
Thanks for your replies, guys

I take both of your valid points, and will start replying to some posts in future to get to 'know' you all...

Shall I re-word this post also, for others to respond?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 04:29 pm
Silence churl ! ! !

(Those who are neither irony-challenged nor ignorant of Anglo-Saxon and Old English will understand that that was a joke.)

No, you needn't reword the post. You are presently probably the only member with this level of interest and knowledge for the time period involved. Had i disagreed with what you posted, i'd have commented. Had i had anything to add, i'd have posted. Neither of those circumstances applied.

If you are, in fact, a house ceorl, the source of your interest would be obvious. What Jarl do you serve?
0 Replies

Huscarl

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 04:34 pm
Hi Setanta, joke understood! :wink:

I will serve any jarl/earl that will retain order and dispense justice for the common man!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 04:36 pm
Huscarl wrote:

I think that would be a good idea. You've had 85 hits on your post as of this one, but only a couple of "mother hens" responding. I think people are interested, but they're not sure where you want to start a dialogue.

Calling all experts on the Dark Ages, barbarians and obscure historical battles... yooohooo...
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 04:38 pm
Just noticed Setanta's post - he is not a mother hen. I'm sure Walter has information jogging around in his head about this stuff.
0 Replies

Huscarl

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 05:01 pm
Green Witch wrote:
Huscarl wrote:

I think that would be a good idea. You've had 85 hits on your post as of this one, but only a couple of "mother hens" responding. I think people are interested, but they're not sure where you want to start a dialogue.

Calling all experts on the Dark Ages, barbarians and obscure historical battles... yooohooo...

That's great, thanks Green Witch, I just tried to edit, but there is no edit button in my first post in this thread! Is this because I'm new?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 05:07 pm
Huscarl wrote:

That's great, thanks Green Witch, I just tried to edit, but there is no edit button in my first post in this thread! Is this because I'm new?

Unfortunately, you cannot edit a post once someone responds to it. I forget why they changed it like that, it wasn't always that way. The powers that be are working on a new version of this site and perhaps it will allow for late editing. I hope so, I make a lot of mistakes that I would like to fix.
0 Replies

Huscarl

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 05:14 pm
Green Witch wrote:

Unfortunately, you cannot edit a post once someone responds to it. I forget why they changed it like that, it wasn't always that way. The powers that be are working on a new version of this site and perhaps it will allow for late editing. I hope so, I make a lot of mistakes that I would like to fix.

Oh darned it. Never mind, though I do nearly keep hitting the 'new post' button instead of 'post reply'! Laughing

I'll leave this thread as it is for now then, and simply bear in mind all the respondee's advice in future!

Cheers Green Witch, nice to meet you. Cool
0 Replies