Why do people accept Barack Obama as African-American?

Chai

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 10:01 pm
Foofie,
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 10:08 pm
Chai, you are so sweet.

Foofie, I believe the consensus is a big raspberry noise to you....

RH
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 11:38 pm
I understand Foofie's point. I would have appreciated having my input (in terms of half of his chromosomes, nine months spent in my body and twelve hours of labor to give him life) recognized instead of having it negated with a flick of her pen, when that woman labeled my son "black".

I actually prefer the term INTERRACIAL to BIRACIAL though. I think it speaks more to the fact that two races have intertwined to create this new person whereas biracial sounds like two races maintaining some kind of separateness.

But Foofie - don't you think he has to call himself black in our country? It's interesting to me that black people will accept the part of him that's white and still agree to call him black while white people would never accept the part of him that's black and agree to call him white...he'd be laughed out of town if he tried to convince anyone he was as much white as he is black and so could choose the caucasian label for himself.
I'm sure he calls himself black because he knows that in this country - that's how the majority of people see him.

And Europe is much more evolved in terms of their forms. There are about ten separate categories: Black- African, Black- West Indian, White- European, Asian, Multiracial, etc.
In fact, it's kind of ironic, but the tables were turned there. I always had to check other myself because the one category they didn't have was White-North American or White/American.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 12:05 am
foofie wrote:
You should read my statement above carefully, since when I referred to Barack Obama, it was in the context of having mixed parentage. In the early 20th century that was referred to as mulatto. It was not a pejorative term at that time. And, he would not have been referred to as "Colored," (referring to your photograph posted) as were children of marriages where both parents were Black. I don't believe one should be offended by historical facts, especially on a forum that is supposed to value intellectual honesty.

The term "mulatto" was used in the US Census until 1930 when it was decided that it was too ambiguous a term for the data that the government was attempting to collect. It became pejorative in the US because of its etymology; the word means "little mule" in Spanish and Portuguese.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 12:51 am
aidan wrote:
And Europe is much more evolved in terms of their forms. There are about ten separate categories: Black- African, Black- West Indian, White- European, Asian, Multiracial, etc.
In fact, it's kind of ironic, but the tables were turned there. I always had to check other myself because the one category they didn't have was White-North American or White/American.

Really? I live here now 59 years and never noticed that someone asked me for anything else than my nationality.

And there are really forms where you have to fill that out ... Shocked
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 04:56 am
Foofie wrote:
I don't know if this is true, but prior to the early 1970's Jews were on Affirmative Action quotas. Then they were taken off because the definition of a minority for Affirmative Action was "disadvantaged" minority.

Foofie- I think that you have your information bass ackwards. When I was a kid, there were quotas for Jews in places like medical schools. That was not Affirmative Action quotas that seek to admit MORE people, but quotas made to LIMIT the number of Jews in medical schools.

Link to Jewish Quotas in Medical Schools

Quote:
"The fact that most Jewish applicants were Eastern European Jews rather than German Jews as before was not lost on medical school admissions committees as frightened of the "new" immigration as the rest of American society. In the early 1920's a backlash began. The first manifestation was the creation of quotas at many elite private colleges. Soon quotas appeared in medical schools and other areas of professional and graduate training (numerous references page 418). By the late 1930s and early 1940s, rigid quotas were found throughout medical education. In the early 1940s, 3 out of every 4 non-Jewish students were accepted, in contrast to 1 out of 13 Jewish students." p 64 The text goes on to note that even the Women's Medical College of Pennsylvania discriminated vs Jews. On the bright side New York University and Tufts resisted these quotas despite great pressure.

Link to article
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 05:51 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
aidan wrote:

Really? I live here now 59 years and never noticed that someone asked me for anything else than my nationality.

And there are really forms where you have to fill that out ... Shocked

I can only speak for the UK Walter. And yes, most definitely- for employment I know that I did fill out a form, where I was at least asked to check a box describing my nationality and/or racial heritage. But if I remember correctly - it was optional for me to do so- in other words- I could have chosen to leave it blank, and no one was standing there pressuring me to assign myself into a category. I filled out more than one form asking for that - I can't remember if it was also on a medical form or if it was that I filled out more than one application for employment. But yes, I know that several times I was happy to see the option "multicultural" and that I had to check check "white" and fill in "American" under other.
I'm 100% sure of it.

I do think and did feel when I lived in England and traveled in Europe that all race, in terms of the color of anyone's skin, was much less of an issue.
There, my impression is it's not so much based on race as it is on nationality.
I felt like this ignorant American who could and did like all the Europeans equally, and I kept getting told how there was all this underlying animosity between the people of this country and that country-and this was even though everyone had the same color of skin. So there are issues everywhere - no place is a tolerant and accepting classless, borderless utopia.

On the medical forms, I can understand having to know a racial heritage. For instance, if both parents are not Jewish - you don't have to worry about Tay-Sachs. If both parents are not black - you don't have to worry about sickle cell as both those diseases are carried by recessive genes by those specific racial carriers.
So that woman calling my son black instead of interracial, if anything, would cause confusion about his true genetic tendencies and not alleviate it.
If people are going to label others- they should be precise in their labels.
And if people want to label themselves - let them label themselves whatever it is they most feel they are- and trust that they know what the heck they're doing.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 06:13 am
aidan wrote:
And if people want to label themselves - let them label themselves whatever it is they most feel they are- and trust that they know what the heck they're doing.

People label themselves with-in the choices they believe are open to them, so global views on categories is extremely important. I for one would like to get away from the race divisions all together. Red/Blue is good, cat/dog would be better. Who says cultural divisions need to be about country of origin and race?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 07:06 am
aidan wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
aidan wrote:
And Europe is much more evolved in terms of their forms.

I can only speak for the UK Walter.

[...]

I do think and did feel when I lived in England and traveled in Europe that all race, in terms of the color of anyone's skin, was much less of an issue.
There, my impression is it's not so much based on race as it is on nationality.
[...]

I was referring to your "And Europe is ..."

At least in Germany and surrounding countries you won't find any form asking you for race.

I think, not only nationality but even regional and/or more even more narrow local origin is an European issue.
Which is often a ridiculous prejudice, seldom true but quite appropriate .... in sports for instance, or food.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 07:46 am
Re: Why do people accept Barack Obama as African-American?
Foofie wrote:
Tell me if I'm wrong, but Barack Obama is bi-racial; that's all.

You are wrong.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 07:58 am
Re: Why do people accept Barack Obama as African-American?
Foofie wrote:
Tell me if I'm wrong, but Barack Obama is bi-racial; that's all. He is only Black if one subscribes to the racial "one-drop" concept. So, if America is not to be considered racist against Barack Obama, shouldn't he be bi-racial, not African-American (aka Black)?

Plus, having been raised by the Caucasian part of his parentage, why is he seen as a Black American? I mean children of divorce many times identify with the parent that had custody and raised the child.

And, since Black America is very aware of the racial inequities of American history, why does Black America now get to seemingly subscribe to the "one-drop" racial paradigm and claim that Barack Obama is Black? I'm not talking about all Black Americans, but I would believe a large enough percentage for the mass media to jump on the bandwagon that Barack Obama is Black.

Barack Obama is bi-racial. Bi-racial is not Black; it is bi-racial. Being a child of a mixed race marriage, is not like being a child of a mixed religious marriage where it can be claimed by the child that he/she chose one religion over the other, or parents can say they are raising the child in one faith or the other.

By the way, if Barack Obama was running in the early 20th century, he would not have been identified as just Black or African-American. There was a specific term used for children of bi-racial marriages; used by both Whites and Blacks, and no one was insulted. But today, he is bi-racial; that's all, unless, I believe, one still (probably innocently) accepts the Ante-Bellum Southern racial paradigms.

Erm....well, possibly because he is the blackest American to get within cooee of the presidency, for starters?

I think you will also find that, not just in ante-bellum south, but until well into the sixties, at least, being, say, half-black did not confer any special privileges (if there are any "fully black" African-Americans, except those relatively recently immigrating from Africa...what with the rape of slave women and the tendency of humans to have sex and marry and such across race barriers and all....???????). I do not think, for instance, that someone with a black and a white parent there got to sit, say, quarter-way down the bus, instead of the back. (Unless they looked really white?)

Traditionally, dominant groups have got to determine who gets included in their "in-group" and who gets excluded. I suspect a hint of black got you excluded for most of white American history.

But now Obama isn't black enough for you?

Is this a serious question, or is it the latest attack from the right?

Sounds like heads I win, tails you lose, to me.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 08:04 am
Arella Mae wrote:
Who cares what color he is! He says he is black. I figure he ought to know. :wink:

Good god....I sort of agree with Arella Mae!!! Expect hell to freeze over....

hawkeye10 wrote:
Near as I can figure it if you can locate any Black genes in your blood line and and wish to identify as black, your in. There might be some bottom limit, such as your skin being noticeably tan, but I don't know. I have seen some claim to be black who genetically can be more than 20% black, so it is not a majority thing.

I am genetically 5% American Indian....Maybe I should be Indian next week. After that Irish sounds fun.

Irish won't get you anything.

What with their diaspora and all, and the fact that they were ubiquitous in the new world, as well as apparently bloody horny (prolly the Catholicism....my ex-Catholic friends tell me that NOBODY can enjoy sin like a Catholic) and fertile as hell, that's like saying you have a nose.

:wink:
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 08:37 am
This whole "Mulatto" thing shows the pure ignorance of conservative historical revisionism.

People who were referred to as "Mulattoes" were subject to the same discrimination and persecution as an person referred to as "colored" under the Jim Crow South.

In the Jim Crow South (i.e. the early 20th century) a person such as Obama would have had to use "colored" facilities, would have been unfairly treated by the Justice system, would have had trouble voting, and would have been in danger of lynching should he date a white woman.

Rosa Parks was of mixed race-- the term 'mulatto' would have referred to her.

Yes, she was offended.

((I would be interested to know if Foofie would say that Rosa Parks is not African-American.)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/80/Rosaparks_bus.jpg
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 08:57 am
aidan wrote:
I understand Foofie's point. I would have appreciated having my input (in terms of half of his chromosomes, nine months spent in my body and twelve hours of labor to give him life) recognized instead of having it negated with a flick of her pen, when that woman labeled my son "black".

I actually prefer the term INTERRACIAL to BIRACIAL though. I think it speaks more to the fact that two races have intertwined to create this new person whereas biracial sounds like two races maintaining some kind of separateness.

But Foofie - don't you think he has to call himself black in our country? It's interesting to me that black people will accept the part of him that's white and still agree to call him black while white people would never accept the part of him that's black and agree to call him white...he'd be laughed out of town if he tried to convince anyone he was as much white as he is black and so could choose the caucasian label for himself.
I'm sure he calls himself black because he knows that in this country - that's how the majority of people see him.

I thought a marriage is "interracial," while a person may be "bi-racial"?

No, he doesn't have to call himself Black in this country, just like a person from a mixed religious marriage(Jewish/Christian) doesn't have to say he/she is Jewish, since secular Jews being the "out group" are more likely accept a person who is from a mixed religious marriage. And, from my observations, when a person is from a mixed religious marriage (Jewish/Christian), other Christians accept that person fully if he/she has not adopted a Jewish identity. Secular Jews on the other hand seem to accept a person of mixed religious background (Jewish/Christian) for reasons that might reflect a belief that if one of one's parents are Jewish, then that fact alone is enough to vaccinate (I do believe anti-Semitism is a mental disease, so the word vaccinate is appropriate) that person against anti-Semitism. (Perhaps because the Nazis would have considered that person a Jew, regardless of how he/she was raised?)

Anyway, my belief is that in America we can be anything we want to be. If an individual chooses to correct people that think he/she is Black, with the statement, "I'm bi-racial," then others will accept that identity in that person. Similar to correcting someone who mispronounces one's name. Eventually, people learn how to say one's name correctly.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 08:58 am
hawkeye10 wrote:
aidan wrote:

People label themselves with-in the choices they believe are open to them, so global views on categories is extremely important. I for one would like to get away from the race divisions all together. Red/Blue is good, cat/dog would be better. Who says cultural divisions need to be about country of origin and race?

These racial divisions only have negative implications because we've given them negative implications. I think it's interesting to know what a person's country of origin and/or race truly are. There's nothing wrong with being proud to be from a certain country - and yes it does tell something about you that's informative and valuable information. I believe the same is true of race- it's who you are...why should you pretend it's not . The only thing is - you shouldn't be made to feel ashamed of it in any way.
I do know how that feels now- (to feel ashamed of where you came from) because every time I said I was American in Europe- I winced, just waiting for the questions and implied or outright negative connotations. But hey- at that point - I understood why people had them and just apologized or said, "I know - I know- believe me- I didn't vote for him."

But I feel my life and the life of my children has been so positively enriched by the fact of their multiracial heritage- I would never say, "Let's not even make note of it."

I think that's why Obama is such a magnetic candidate for America today, as it becomes more multiracial and culturally diverse. He's lived it all- right here in America. He looks like a black man - but he's lived in a way that whites can relate to - his father was an immigrant...you know...what else could you ask for?

And just for the record - in Jim Crow south - being a "mulatto" was even more looked down upon than being full black-like the children who were fathered by the American soldiers in Viet Nam with Vietnamese women- no one knew quite what to do with them or think about them.
And white women who "had relations" with black men had their white children taken from them (if they'd had a prior marriage to a white man and had borne children).
So "mulatto" has always carried very figuratively and literally negative connotations.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 09:03 am
Foofie said:
Quote:
I thought a marriage is "interracial," while a person may be "bi-racial"?

I don't know what anyone else says is the correct terminology. I just know what I think and like and since I'm the one living it - I call my children "interracial".
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 09:13 am
aidan wrote:

And just for the record - in Jim Crow south - being a "mulatto" was even more looked down upon than being full black-like the children who were fathered by the American soldiers in Viet Nam with Vietnamese women- no one knew quite what to do with them or think about them.
And white women who "had relations" with black men had their white children taken from them (if they'd had a prior marriage to a white man and had borne children).
So "mulatto" has always carried very figuratively and literally negative connotations.

Perhaps, you've read different chronicles of the Ante-Bellum South than I read? It was the mulatto Black that wound up working in the big house on the hill. Often they were from the plantation owner, and were given non-field work responsibilities (a planatation functioning like an autonomous village).

And, I have even heard the term of "high yellow mulatto" used to describe someone's ancestor? What the inference was, if any, I don't know. But it was specified in talking about one's grandparent. I personally, thought it was supposed to have a positive connotation, rather than a negative connotation?

But, I think what "protected" Barack Obama from some of the prejudices of White America may be that he did go to Columbia University in NYC where the average student may just have minimal racial prejudices, as far as socializing with other students. In other words, the problem may be with White America wanting to maintain its "in group" status. Otherwise, the question could not even be conceptualized.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 09:28 am
Yes- I see what you're saying - the lighter skinned black people were the house "servants" as opposed to being the field "servants" (insert the "n word" for "servant" - which is the terminology that was used) and it'll be clear that they were still looked on as inferior- less than whole people.

A lot of times they were chosen for those positions because they were related to the slave owner - his illegitimate children he had sired through the rape of their mothers.

But it put them in a difficult position-can you even try to imagine- although I guess their servitude was slightly more comfortable.

And the whole light-skinned, straight, soft hair preference among black people themselves is just an indication that they learned full well what was valued in this world and internalized their oppression enough to try to conform to it and achieve it - impossible as it is.

A mulatto was considered to be "mixed" - "a mutt" - all terms that I've heard used by people for my own children- yes - even in this day and age.

So if you truly want to be sensitive and inoffensive - I'd think you'd choose not to use that term.

*I remember I did hear that a marriage was interracial and a child of that union was biracial. But I remember thinking logically it should be the other way around. At least in my concept of marriage - where I believe the partners should retain some aspect of individuality...biracial makes more sense to me - two races (bi) alongside each other...as opposed to the make-up of a child where everything becomes mixed and entwined to produce one new whole.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 10:14 am
littlek wrote:
... ANY black blood in a person

Have you ever seen BLACK BLOOD?

Is there such a thing?
Confused
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 10:17 am
Obama's father was a Nigerian sheep herder. Thus, Obama should be called a Nigerian-American.

Why isn't he?

Embarrassed
0 Replies