Frustration at Primary without knowing complete "ticket."

Foofie

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 11:36 am
Am I the only voter that is annoyed to vote at the Primary, because I don't know the complete ticket if my candidate wins? While I voted for McCain, I don't know if I could vote for him in the General Election if by some quirk he takes on a running mate that I have a strong negative opinion. I believe this feeling is showing itself (to me), since with the current administration, I thought, the Office of the Vice President seems to have had an apparent significant involvement with certain concerns. More so, perhaps, than many past Vice Presidents? So, why don't we have a complete ticket to vote for at the Primaries? Would it be that hard for candidates to at least give a list of their potential running mates? It's as though the Office of the Vice President has evolved to a more meaningful position. Shouldn't we therefore have the ability to vote on who will be in this office?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 668 • Replies: 6
No top replies

fishin

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 11:58 am
Why not vote on their entire slate of possible cabinet members too? Laughing

The Office of VP has very few offically defined responsibilities. Every VP gets something to do some of which are simply ceremonial, others affect policy. The person filling that role however, doesn't really have any say in what chores they are assigned. You are voting for the person who would do the actual assigning so, IMO, the VP choice is pretty much irrelevant at this point.

If McCain listed 10 possible choices would it affect whether or not you voted for him? You still wouldn't know which of the possibles would actually be chosen. What would you do if you really liked 5 of them and hated the other 5? I don't see how it would help in the primary process.
0 Replies

nappyheadedhohoho

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 12:22 pm
I understand the frustration, though. I've heard many say they voted for Obama as more a vote against Hillary. Imagine how some of them would feel if she became his running mate.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 01:18 pm
If you trust the man to run the country, you should be able to trust him to pick a running mate.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 09:04 am
Noddy24 wrote:
If you trust the man to run the country, you should be able to trust him to pick a running mate.

What do you base the above on? The two may be mutually exclusive, considering there is a Party that I thought has input into who is ready for national office (the VP spot).
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 02:27 pm
Common sense and the executive ability to expect that a competent executive can delegate authority.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 04:46 pm
To whom? That is the question!
0 Replies