A funny thing happened on the way to funeral detail

snood

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 08:36 pm
I've been a member of both a nine man, and a three man team. When I first did it, it seemed like sort of an inconvenience and bother, but I look at it as an honor now. And the families all seem to appreciate the ceremony.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 04:12 pm
snood
My family was kinda at a loss about my dad's funeral. I told my oldest brother, who was making the arrangements, that dad was entitled to military honors. He did not know that and the whole ceremony meant a lot to my whole family, especially me. That is why I thanked each person there and then I emailed the VA and told them how much my family appreciated the service. The VA emailed me back to find out specifics so they could contact the person in charge and pass the info along.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 04:28 pm
TTH wrote:
snood
My family was kinda at a loss about my dad's funeral. I told my oldest brother, who was making the arrangements, that dad was entitled to military honors. He did not know that and the whole ceremony meant a lot to my whole family, especially me. That is why I thanked each person there and then I emailed the VA and told them how much my family appreciated the service. The VA emailed me back to find out specifics so they could contact the person in charge and pass the info along.

I just got back from a funeral as part of a 3 man team. The funeral party was very appreciative of our being there - Several came up and shook my hand. One even asked us to come and eat dinner with them. It was an old vet being laid to rest. It was bitter cold outside, and wet. Fairly large turnout at the cemetary, nonetheless.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 07:44 am
Really touching story, snood. Must of been a proud moment when one of people there shook your hand.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 09:07 am
Well, truth is - most of the family members seem very appreciative at any of the funerals I've taken part in. Maybe that's why the image of family members becoming agitated because of the script said when handing over the flag sort of took me aback.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 12:09 am
If one branch of the US Armed Forces (or one crazy ass unit within that branch) has chosen to remove, if truth be told, "The President's" condolences from the ceremony, BFD.

The premise you are attempting to, disingenuously, advance is ridiculous.

If you're against the War in Iraq, so be it. Make your case and stand by it.

Please, though, save us the desperate attempt to "prove" your view is not only the majority within the American populace, but the same within the families of Iraqi vets.

Are you not able to mount an argument that doesn't depend upon popular (and ironic) support?

You, apparently, remain connected to the US Armed Forces through some sort of post-enlistment requirement. (Sincere kudos to you for your original commitment, but I doubt you belive your peers are without error simply because they have served, and so unimpeachable validity is hardly bestowed upon a pharmacist who serves state side.)

I remain connected through friends and relatives who have children stationed over there. We both have experience in the second (and perhaps third) degree.

My extended experience is that the families of our men and women risking their lives in Iraq are all to happy to accept the inspiration and (God forbid) condolences of George W Bush, Commander-In-Chief of there military of which their sons and daughters are members.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 04:26 pm
Snood - You used to be out in Ft. Leonard Wood?

T
K
O
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 04:35 pm
Finn, I'm active duty. And though I'm against the war, I wasn't by this thread attempting to "advance" anything - just genuinely suprised by what someone told me about why they don't mention "the president" in the script for the Army ceremony. Since I started this thread, I've done some research and found that the Army is the only one of the 4 major services that doesn't say "the president", so I'm inclined now to believe that what I was told was just a rumor started by someone who doesn't like Bush.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 05:09 pm
Snood - Have you ever attended services for a soldier where any members of the Westborough Baptist church arrived? Also, have you ever met any of the Patriot Gaurd Riders?

If you would, could you share your experiences with doing this detail?

T
K
O
0 Replies