I'm Thinking Of coming to Boston

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 12:20 pm
stephen jr. is going to chicago 3/13 through 3/20 and i was thinking of flying up to boston. I'll be on a budget but i need a getaway badly.

would I be better off to rent a car or to take a taxi to a central location and
walk or cab around?

All I would want to do is touristy stuff during the day and maybe go out to eat once or twice in the evening. Of course I would hope for one lost night out with my buddy the Slapster.

I would probably also want to go to Chelmsford one day to visit my mother's grave. she died in 1974 and I've never been there.

Any suggestions on hotels or otherwise? I'm on a budget as i said but i don't want to stay in a shithole either....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,303 • Replies: 27
No top replies

fishin

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 12:38 pm
Boston is small enough that you can walk most of it easily. The major tourist attractions are all in a fairly small area and are easily accessible via public transportation (or at least until 2am when public transit shuts down for the night).

The biggest issue is finding an affordable hotel. Those in town aren't usually very cheap. I just looked quickly but it looks like the best rates are at the Embassy Suites at Logan Airport @ $110/night. Personally, I wouldn't want to stay at the airport and rates closer to the action run in the $160 - $220/night range.

You'd probably want a rental car to get out to Chelmsford though. You can get to Chelmsford via public transit but I don't know how close you can get to the cemetary you need to visit.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 12:51 pm
useful info... thanks.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 01:39 pm
Re: I'm Thinking Of coming to Boston
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
stephen jr. is going to chicago 3/13 through 3/20 and ...

Will you be spending any time in Chicago while he's here, bear?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 01:44 pm
fishin wrote:
The biggest issue is finding an affordable hotel. Those in town aren't usually very cheap. I just looked quickly but it looks like the best rates are at the Embassy Suites at Logan Airport @ $110/night. Personally, I wouldn't want to stay at the airport and rates closer to the action run in the $160 - $220/night range.

A b&b might be an idea - I paid $80, in Southie, just 15 mins by public transport to the center [okay, sometimes 30 mins, but then I got the chance to choose between four busses Laughing ].
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 01:53 pm
Re: I'm Thinking Of coming to Boston
JPB wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
stephen jr. is going to chicago 3/13 through 3/20 and ...

Will you be spending any time in Chicago while he's here, bear?

no his mother moved there and he's flying up to spend a week with her.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 01:54 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
fishin wrote:

A b&b might be an idea - I paid $80, in Southie, just 15 mins by public transport to the center [okay, sometimes 30 mins, but then I got the chance to choose between four busses Laughing ].

that sounds good... I really am on a tight budget. the flight was surprisingly cheap though 178 round trip....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 04:42 pm
Uhoh! There goes the neighborhood! Laughing
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 05:00 pm
well k that really hurts.. I'm just a quirky but lovable old grandpa....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 05:17 pm
Is that why it hurts? (badabump)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 05:39 pm
You liked your B & B, didn't you, Walter?

(none of my business, just checking in....)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 12:18 am
Stayed there just two nights, but is really better than only 'okay'. (The one Chicago was just marvellous!)

Actually, I've liked all my b&b's I've stayed in: a result of some researches before I booked :wink:
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 12:04 pm
There's always the Four Seasons at just under $500/night.

It is cheaper to stay on the outskirts of Boston, if you don't mind traveling in. Look for ones that have access to public transportation - to the T (subway) is best as that is the easiest way to get around. Some of these hotels that are just outside of Boston also offer free shuttle service to the T.

If want to stay right in Boston you can find some deals - these would be most likely in the low 100s. Omni Parker House is a very nice hotel that tends to have cheaper rates right in the center of everything. You can walk to Faneuil Hall and pretty much all the tourist sites. It tends to be cheaper because it is an older hotel and the rooms are small, but you can't beat the location. Park Plaza also sometimes has good prices in comparison to other Boston hotels.

Definitely rent a car for the day to get to Chelmsford. It would be a pain in the a$$ to attempt public transportation. I think the closest public transportation would be a train to a town nearby. I once looked at property in Chelmsford so I checked out how to commute from there.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 12:10 pm
try priceline - there you can pick area where you prefer to stay and name a price you're willing to pay... the catch is that you don't get to pick the hotel, it picks one for you at that price, after you pay.

i got to stay in D.C. at Sheraton fr $65 a night, right near the White House.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 12:26 pm
If you can get to Boston, I'll get you to Chelmsford.
We just need to figure out what day.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 06:02 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
try priceline - there you can pick area where you prefer to stay and name a price you're willing to pay... the catch is that you don't get to pick the hotel, it picks one for you at that price, after you pay.

i got to stay in D.C. at Sheraton fr $65 a night, right near the White House.

I went to priceline and they asked me to pick from about 6 different areas... what do you suggest? besides the area furthest from where you live I mean...I see that coming...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 06:04 pm
that's really kind.. George....I"m thinking now that the best I can afford is to fly up friday and go back sunday...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 06:05 pm
Bear, he means he will run back with you, be careful there....
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 07:28 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
that's really kind.. George....I"m thinking now that the best I can afford is to fly up friday and go back sunday...

OK. So once your plans settle in a bit, we can work it out.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 07:29 pm
Rockhead wrote:
Bear, he means he will run back with you, be careful there....

Oh, sure. Spoil the surprise.
0 Replies