How can McCain not be eligible? ---BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,382 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 09:36 am
One thing's for sure... if in American politics we can just constantly argue about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin... we can successfully ignore all important issues and the politicians can continue to f*ck us all the livelong day...
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 10:00 am
Re: McCain's Canal Zone Birth Prompts Queries re presidency
Quote:

This is only a question for people that don't understand the difference between citizenship and geography.

The constitutional test is one of citizenship and people can be born anywhere in the world and still be U.S. citizens.

Much ado about nothing...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 10:24 am
I agree, there's no 'there' there.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 10:32 am
BBB
I think the "natural born citizen" should be removed from the Constitution. It is no longer relevant in today's world. It's original purpose was to protect against English born citizens in post colonial times.

BBB
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 10:35 am

Why are you asking now? Did you ask 8 years ago?

FYI...Article 2 is extremely clear.

No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty five years, and been fourteen Years a resident within the United States.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 12:02 pm
woiyo wrote:
No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty five years, and been fourteen Years a resident within the United States.

When will you learn the difference between my own opinion and some other author's opinion? I never asked re McCain at any time until I saw this article in which I said that I believed that he met the requirements of Article 2.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 12:04 pm
woiyo wrote:

When will you learn the difference between my own opinion and some other author's opinion? I never asked re McCain at any time until I saw this article in which I said that I believed that he met the requirements of Article 2.

Do you think Article 2 is obsolete and should be removed?

BBB
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 03:02 pm
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
woiyo wrote:

Do you think Article 2 is obsolete and should be removed?

BBB

No. Do you think it should be removed?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 09:32 am
woyio
Yes

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 10:09 am
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 11:41 am
Re: woyio
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Yes

BBB

Figures.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 11:52 am
fishin wrote:
This is only a question for people that don't understand the difference between citizenship and geography.

The constitutional test is one of citizenship and people can be born anywhere in the world and still be U.S. citizens.

Born anywhere in the world and be U.S. citizens, but not natural born citizens. If the Framers of the Constitution didn't mean for the natural born requirement to mean something they wouldn't have included it for the presidency, but not for the Senate or House of Representatives.

Furthermore, if you are born outside of the United States, even if one or both of your parents are citizens, you have citizenship based on federal law, not the Constitution. You are a citizen only because federal law says you are and even then there are certain residency requirements you have to meet to retain your citizenship.

In light of 9-11 I would extend the natural born citizenship requirement to every public office in the country from the president down to dog catcher.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 12:13 pm
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
I think the "natural born citizen" should be removed from the Constitution. It is no longer relevant in today's world. It's original purpose was to protect against English born citizens in post colonial times.

BBB

Let's take a look at people who became the head of state/government of countries for which they were not natural born citizens:

Catherine the Great- Russia, born in Prussia with very remote Russian ancestry;

Napoleon Bonaparte- France, born on the Island of Corsica to Italian ancestry;

Adolf Hitler- Germany, born in Austria to Satanic ancestry.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 12:26 pm
Re: Democrat crafts bill intended to assure McCain's citizen
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

If it takes legislation to clarify McCain's citizenship now when was born in 1936(?), how will the legislation not be ex post facto and thus unconstitutional?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 12:50 pm
flaja wrote:
fishin wrote:

Born anywhere in the world and be U.S. citizens, but not natural born citizens.

Where does the Constitution define "Natural born" with a limit placed on those born within the Continental U.S.?? The 14th Amendment defines those born within the U.S. as natural born citizens but does not create any exclusion for anyone else. It defines a group that is, but not those who aren't. Your assumption that those not included in that definition automatically aren't doesn't hold.

Quote:
If the Framers of the Constitution didn't mean for the natural born requirement to mean something they wouldn't have included it for the presidency, but not for the Senate or House of Representatives.

And if the Framers of the Constitution didn't mean for the Congress to have te eauthority to define who is and who isn't a natural born citizen they wouldn't have given them that authority. Your own arguement works against you just as well as it works for you. And of course, the only definition that does exist within the Constitution is in the 14th Amendment - created well after those original framers were all long dead.

I would also point out that the Constitutional passage you are relying on was written in 1787 and the final document completed the ratification process in 1788 putting that Constitution into effect. The very first Congress, comprised of many of those very framers you speak of passed the "Naturalization Act of 1790" in their very first session and defined persons born abroad to parents who were citizens as "natural born".

I think the framer's own actions are a pretty clear indication of what they intended: "the children of citizens of the United States that may be born beyond Sea, or out of the limits of the United States, shall be considered as natural born Citizens"

Quote:
Furthermore, if you are born outside of the United States, even if one or both of your parents are citizens, you have citizenship based on federal law, not the Constitution.

Based on Federal law that the Constitution grants the Congress the authority to create... A law that is held to be constitutional carries the same weight as the Constitution itself.

Quote:
You are a citizen only because federal law says you are and even then there are certain residency requirements you have to meet to retain your citizenship.

Ahhh.. no. There are no residency requirements necessary to retain citizenship. As is usual, you don't know what you are talking about.

Title 8, Chapter 12, Subchapter III, Part I, Section 1401 defines persons born overseas to parents who are U.S. Citizens as U.S. citizens at birth. There are no additional provisions or requirements to maintaining that citizenship. A person born abroad to parents who are U.S. citizens have an automatic right via birth to U.S. citizenship and that only goes away if the person renounces their citizenship.

Quote:
In light of 9-11 I would extend the natural born citizenship requirement to every public office in the country from the president down to dog catcher.

I'm not surprised...
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 02:30 pm
fishin wrote:
Where does the Constitution define "Natural born" with a limit placed on those born within the Continental U.S.??

What does natural born citizen mean if not being born within the country of citizenship?

Quote:
The 14th Amendment defines those born within the U.S. as natural born citizens but does not create any exclusion for anyone else.

The 14th Amendment doesn't expressly say anything about what a natural born citizen is. It simply says that all persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject of the jurisdiction thereof is a citizen of the United States and the state wherein they reside. It could be argued that the Panama Canal Zone wasn't "in the United States" so McCain doesn't have constitutional citizenship by birth. He was essentially naturalized by federal law.

Quote:
It defines a group that is, but not those who aren't.

It doesn't exclude all persons who are born outside of the United States and who haven't been naturalized?

Quote:
Your assumption that those not included in that definition automatically aren't doesn't hold.

How so? If you were not born in the United States you are not automatically a citizen by birth, and if you are not a citizen by birth, you are not a citizen if you haven't been naturalized. If you are born in the United States, then no legislation is needed to make you a citizen. Since McCain is a citizen based on legislation, he must be a naturalized citizen and not a natural born one.

Quote:
And if the Framers of the Constitution didn't mean for the Congress to have te eauthority to define who is and who isn't a natural born citizen they wouldn't have given them that authority.

Where in the Constitution is Congress given this power? Do you not know the difference between natural born and naturalized?

Quote:
I would also point out that the Constitutional passage you are relying on was written in 1787 and the final document completed the ratification process in 1788 putting that Constitution into effect.

What do you mean "final document"? The document that was written and approved by the Constitutional Convention in 1787 was the exact same document that all 13 of the original states ratified.

BTW: The Constitution had to be ratified by 9 states to take effect. Eleven states had ratified by the end of 1788 and the new government began operation in April 1789. North Carolina didn't ratify until 1789 (it didn't participate in the 1st presidential election) and Rhode Island not until 1790.

Quote:
The very first Congress, comprised of many of those very framers you speak of passed the "Naturalization Act of 1790" in their very first session and defined persons born abroad to parents who were citizens as "natural born".

Then the law was unconstitutional because you cannot be a natural born citizen when you are born outside of the country. The delegates to the Constitutional Convention must have all assumed that the term "natural born" had a common and universally accepted meaning or they would have explained it in the Constitution. The 1st Congress then assumed that it didn't mean what the Convention assumed it did and thus made a law that ran counter to what the Convention wanted.

And at some point in the past this law was either repealed, amended or struck down by the Courts because someone like the American commander at Gettysburg, General George Gordon Meade, was not a natural born citizen even though both of his parents were U.S. citizens because he was born in Spain. And the subsequent federal law that gave citizenship to people born to a U.S. citizen in the Panama Canal Zone would not have been needed.

Quote:
Ahhh.. no. There are no residency requirements necessary to retain citizenship. As is usual, you don't know what you are talking about.

There are residency requirements for persons born abroad to have U.S. citizenship at birth:

http://travel.state.gov/law/info/info_609.html

A child who is born in another country is a U.S. citizen at birth if both of his parents are U.S. citizens and at least one of these parents has resided in the U.S. prior to the child's birth.

A child who is born in another country with his parents being married to each other is a U.S. citizen at birth if one of his parents is a U.S. citizen who has resided for in the United States for least 5 years prior to the child's birth (as per the law in 1986 with at least 2 years residency for the parent after reaching the age of 14).

A child born in another country to a father who is a U.S. citizen but whose parents were not married at the time of the child's birth may become a U.S. citizen without any residency requirement for either the child or the parent, but other requirements pertaining to paternity must be legally met.

A child born in another country to a mother who is a citizen of the U.S. but whose parents were not married at the time of the child's birth has U.S. citizenship at birth if the mother had resided for one year prior to the child's birth in either the U.S. or an outlying possession thereof.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 03:23 pm
flaja wrote:
fishin wrote:
Where does the Constitution define "Natural born" with a limit placed on those born within the Continental U.S.??

What does natural born citizen mean if not being born within the country of citizenship?

"Natural born" status can be aquired under either of two legal concepts; Jus soli is the concept that one is "naturally born" a citizen of the country (or "soil") where they were born. Jus sanguinis is the concept that one is "naturally born" a citizen of the country where the person's parents hold citizenship. Both are valid, accepted and hold true for the U.S. as evidenced by the following line from your own link below: "A child born abroad to two U.S. citizen parents acquires U.S. citizenship at birth..."

Quote:
Quote:
The 14th Amendment defines those born within the U.S. as natural born citizens but does not create any exclusion for anyone else.

The 14th Amendment doesn't expressly say anything about what a natural born citizen is. It simply says that all persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject of the jurisdiction thereof is a citizen of the United States and the state wherein they reside. It could be argued that the Panama Canal Zone wasn't "in the United States" so McCain doesn't have constitutional citizenship by birth. He was essentially naturalized by federal law.

You are attempting to exclude the jus sanguinis concept. And a person can't be "essentially naturalized". They either are or they aren't.

Show me a copy of McCain's naturalization paperwork.

Quote:
Quote:
It defines a group that is, but not those who aren't.

It doesn't exclude all persons who are born outside of the United States and who haven't been naturalized?

No. I could say that "All children in the sandbox are covered in sand." Does that automaticlly exclude the possibility that a child that isn't in the sandbox might also be covered in sand? Basic logic escapes you....

Quote:
Quote:
Your assumption that those not included in that definition automatically aren't doesn't hold.

How so? If you were not born in the United States you are not automatically a citizen by birth, and if you are not a citizen by birth, you are not a citizen if you haven't been naturalized. If you are born in the United States, then no legislation is needed to make you a citizen. Since McCain is a citizen based on legislation, he must be a naturalized citizen and not a natural born one.

Again, false. See my explaination above as well as your own link below. Your own link states very clearly that one can be born outside of the U.S. and automatically be a citizen at birth.

Quote:
Quote:
And if the Framers of the Constitution didn't mean for the Congress to have te eauthority to define who is and who isn't a natural born citizen they wouldn't have given them that authority.

Where in the Constitution is Congress given this power? Do you not know the difference between natural born and naturalized?

"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To borrow money on the credit of the United States;

To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;"

How do you suppose the Congress is supposed to "establish uniform rules for naturalization" if it can't define who does and doesn't need to be naturalized to begin with?

Quote:
Quote:
I would also point out that the Constitutional passage you are relying on was written in 1787 and the final document completed the ratification process in 1788 putting that Constitution into effect.

What do you mean "final document"? The document that was written and approved by the Constitutional Convention in 1787 was the exact same document that all 13 of the original states ratified.

BTW: The Constitution had to be ratified by 9 states to take effect. Eleven states had ratified by the end of 1788 and the new government began operation in April 1789. North Carolina didn't ratify until 1789 (it didn't participate in the 1st presidential election) and Rhode Island not until 1790.

Very nice. You do realize that the 1st draft of the Constitution that was created in 1787 wasn't the same as the version that the Constitutional convention approved and submitted to the states for ratification in 1788, right?

Quote:
Quote:
The very first Congress, comprised of many of those very framers you speak of passed the "Naturalization Act of 1790" in their very first session and defined persons born abroad to parents who were citizens as "natural born".

Then the law was unconstitutional because you cannot be a natural born citizen when you are born outside of the country. The delegates to the Constitutional Convention must have all assumed that the term "natural born" had a common and universally accepted meaning or they would have explained it in the Constitution. The 1st Congress then assumed that it didn't mean what the Convention assumed it did and thus made a law that ran counter to what the Convention wanted.

Or maybe you just don't know what you are talking about? That seems like a much more likely scenario.

The "common and accepted" meanings are what I listed above. The framers knew of both of them.

Your idea that the 1st Congress assumed anything or did something counter to the convention is laughable. 18 members of that 1st Congress were the same people who sat in Philly and wrote that Constitution and Washington, who signed the bill into law as President, also sat at the Philly convention. Is it your position that those 19 people simply "forgot" what they had done?

Quote:
And at some point in the past this law was either repealed, amended or struck down by the Courts because someone like the American commander at Gettysburg, General George Gordon Meade, was not a natural born citizen even though both of his parents were U.S. citizens because he was born in Spain. And the subsequent federal law that gave citizenship to people born to a U.S. citizen in the Panama Canal Zone would not have been needed.

So you have a link to his naturalization papers? I can find no record that he was ever considered to be anything other than a natural born citizen of the U.S..

Quote:
Quote:

There are residency requirements for persons born abroad to have U.S. citizenship at birth:

http://travel.state.gov/law/info/info_609.html

A child who is born in another country is a U.S. citizen at birth if both of his parents are U.S. citizens and at least one of these parents has resided in the U.S. prior to the child's birth.

A child who is born in another country with his parents being married to each other is a U.S. citizen at birth if one of his parents is a U.S. citizen who has resided for in the United States for least 5 years prior to the child's birth (as per the law in 1986 with at least 2 years residency for the parent after reaching the age of 14).

A child born in another country to a father who is a U.S. citizen but whose parents were not married at the time of the child's birth may become a U.S. citizen without any residency requirement for either the child or the parent, but other requirements pertaining to paternity must be legally met.

A child born in another country to a mother who is a citizen of the U.S. but whose parents were not married at the time of the child's birth has U.S. citizenship at birth if the mother had resided for one year prior to the child's birth in either the U.S. or an outlying possession thereof.

Ummm yep... Several mentions of residency there. All of them apply to the parents of the person being born however. Now where are these residency requirements you babbled about for the actual person born outside of the U.S. to retain their citizenship? Being entitled to something to begin with and retaining it once you have it are two very different things.

But I will note here that you own link states that, provided the PARENTS have met the residency requirements, the child is granted citizenship AT BIRTH.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 04:26 pm
fishin wrote:
"Natural born" status can be aquired under either of two legal concepts; Jus soli is the concept that one is "naturally born" a citizen of the country (or "soil") where they were born. Jus sanguinis is the concept that one is "naturally born" a citizen of the country where the person's parents hold citizenship.

I am well aware of Jus soli and Jus sanguinis, but the Constitution gives Congress only the power to make people naturalized citizens. It has no power define what natural born means.

Because of Jus soli and Jus sanguinis it is common for people to have citizenship in two different countries and the U.S. customarily recognizes dual citizenship whenever a U.S. citizen has citizenship in a another country. Would you really be comfortable in letting someone who has citizenship in another country hold government office in the U.S.?

Arthur Fiedler, was a natural born U.S. citizen. His father was an Austrian immigrant, but Arthur was born in the U.S. Arthur moved to Austria in order to study music and World War I began while he was there. But because Austria gave citizenship by Jus sanguinis Arthur's father still had Austrian citizenship based on Austrian law. And because his father was an Austrian citizen Austria said that Arthur was also an Austrian citizen and this made him legally subject to being drafted into the Austrian army to fight in World War I. Arthur had to give up his music study and get out of Austria to avoid such service. What would have happened if Austria had come after every natural born or naturalized American citizen of Austrian descent once the U.S. had entered World War I? If you think citizenship is the trivial matter that you make it out to be, you are crazy.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 04:46 pm
flaja wrote:
fishin wrote:
"Natural born" status can be aquired under either of two legal concepts; Jus soli is the concept that one is "naturally born" a citizen of the country (or "soil") where they were born. Jus sanguinis is the concept that one is "naturally born" a citizen of the country where the person's parents hold citizenship.

I am well aware of Jus soli and Jus sanguinis, but the Constitution gives Congress only the power to make people naturalized citizens. It has no power define what natural born means.

If you were well aware of what the legal terms meant then you would understand that whether Congress has the authority or not is irrelevant to the question at hand.

Quote:

Because of Jus soli and Jus sanguinis it is common for people to have citizenship in two different countries and the U.S. customarily recognizes dual citizenship whenever a U.S. citizen has citizenship in a another country. Would you really be comfortable in letting someone who has citizenship in another country hold government office in the U.S.?

What does what am or am not comfortable with have to do with what the constitution and/or laws of this country say?

Quote:
Arthur Fiedler, was a natural born U.S. citizen. His father was an Austrian immigrant, but Arthur was born in the U.S. Arthur moved to Austria in order to study music and World War I began while he was there. But because Austria gave citizenship by Jus sanguinis Arthur's father still had Austrian citizenship based on Austrian law. And because his father was an Austrian citizen Austria said that Arthur was also an Austrian citizen and this made him legally subject to being drafted into the Austrian army to fight in World War I. Arthur had to give up his music study and get out of Austria to avoid such service. What would have happened if Austria had come after every natural born or naturalized American citizen of Austrian descent once the U.S. had entered World War I? If you think citizenship is the trivial matter that you make it out to be, you are crazy.

A very touching story... entirely irrelevant, but touching none the less. What Austria does while at war to get warm bodies into uniform has nothing to do with the legal concepts being applied here in the U.S..

Perhaps you can come up with another non sequitur now.
0 Replies