expect to be waited on hand and foot

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 10:58 am
Sentences

Two years of coddling has resulted in trees that expect to be waited on hand and foot. Whenever a cold wind blows in, they tremble and chatter their branches. Sissy trees.

I can't read the bold part. My questions are:

What does "on hand and foot" mean?

Who expects whom? Who waits for whom?

Thanks in advance!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,636 • Replies: 5
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 11:02 am
Ah, this seems to provide contrast with your other quote, too. These are the sissy trees, then the ones who drink their coffee black are the tough trees.

Anyway, "waited on hand and foot" means coddled, taken care of, catered to. Imagine a high society lady who has servants doing her hair, buffing her nails, lacing up her shoes.

In this context, the person you quote is saying that the trees were given all sorts of attention, which means that they don't deal well with adverse conditions. Imagine the high society lady trying to go camping.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 11:03 am
The complete idiomatic expression is "to be waited on hand and foot." It means to have everything done for oneself by others. The most common use of this is in "to expect to be waited on hand and foot," and it means someone who expects someone, anyone, do do everything for them. As for the origin of the expression, in Europe in the middle ages, the most powerful people, the richest people, employed servants who would literally wait on them hand and foot. When they arose in the morning, they would be dressed by servants who would go so far as even to put their hose and their shoes on them. If they went outside in inclement weather, a servant would put their gloves on for them.

But you cannot separate "hand and foot" from the rest of the expression, because it only appears in the expression "waited on hand and foot."
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 01:59 pm
Thank you gurus!
I didn't realize there existed such an idiom.

Best Regards!
Blues
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 04:24 am
bluestblue wrote:
Thank you gurus!
I didn't realize there existed such an idiom.

Best Regards!
Blues

Yes. You will recognise that from this, that someone who "waits"- we still have "waiters" in restaurants- is a kind of servant, a footman, or a valet.

It is a particular and rather old-fashioned use of the verb "to wait, to wait upon someone".

If you are waiting FOR someone, the meaning changes.
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2008 11:48 am
McTag wrote:

Yes. You will recognise that from this, that someone who "waits"- we still have "waiters" in restaurants- is a kind of servant, a footman, or a valet.

It is a particular and rather old-fashioned use of the verb "to wait, to wait upon someone".

If you are waiting FOR someone, the meaning changes.

I just noticed your answer. Sorry for my late, but cordial thanks!

Best Regards!
0 Replies