drink their coffee black

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 10:52 am
Those trees wake up in the morning and beat their chests and drink their coffee black.

How about it is changed into "drink their black coffee"?

Which one do you prefer? Why?

Thanks in advance!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,075 • Replies: 15
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 10:55 am
"Drink their coffee black" means to drink plain coffee. No milk or sugar, just coffee, by itself.

The sentence you quote is a strange one but seems to be saying that the trees are tough. A tough guy would drink his coffee black -- no milk or sugar added, just plain strong bitter coffee.

Does that make sense?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 10:55 am
That would work, sort of . . . but the expression "they drink their coffee black" has an additional meaning which "drink their black coffee" would not convey. Saying "he drinks his coffee black" means that he is a no-nonsense kind of person who focuses on basics, and is not interested in frills or complicated things. I'd say, leave the sentence as it is, because it has a particular meaning which "drink their black coffee" would not make clear.
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 01:56 pm
Thank you gurus, just the kind of explanation I was seeking for!!

Blues
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 04:45 pm
Although in this context it does, "drinking one's coffee black" does not necessarily imply that one is a tough person. It certainly means that one habitually drinks one's coffee without milk though.

I mean, I drink my coffee black, and I'm a complete pussy.

Bluestblue, I see you are called Maple in another place...
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 05:59 pm
contrex wrote:
Although in this context it does, "drinking one's coffee black" does not necessarily imply that one is a tough person. It certainly means that one habitually drinks one's coffee without milk though.

Thanks for this information. Smile

contrex wrote:

Hmm, Yes.
And you teachers have my sincerely thanks and respects!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 06:01 pm
contrex wrote:

Yeah, I was taking context into account when I said that. I was trying to figure out what the quote meant.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 06:35 pm
contrex wrote:

I would suggest that in this case, you are referring to an Americanism with which you are unfamiliar. In any context in which it is obvious that one is not actually speaking of someone drinking coffee (which i think can safely be alleged with regard to trees), to say that "he drinks his coffee black" implies either someone who is a no-nonsense devotee of simple things, or a tough guy.
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 06:53 pm
Interesting! I'll think it over.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 07:17 pm
Setanta wrote:
contrex wrote:

I would suggest that in this case, you are referring to an Americanism with which you are unfamiliar. In any context in which it is obvious that one is not actually speaking of someone drinking coffee (which i think can safely be alleged with regard to trees), to say that "he drinks his coffee black" implies either someone who is a no-nonsense devotee of simple things, or a tough guy.

Like drinking one's whisky neat, or rolling one's own tampons and kick-starting one's vibrator..... :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 07:49 pm
Yeah . . . like that there . . .
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 03:26 am
dlowan wrote:
Setanta wrote:
contrex wrote:

Like drinking one's whisky neat, or rolling one's own tampons and kick-starting one's vibrator..... :wink:

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 02:59 am
Hitching a ride on this thread, if I may....

"Maybe it's the television images from places like Fort Lauderdale and Cabo San Lucas, of communications majors' face planting outside bars or on beaches.
"

Could anyone explain that expression to me?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 06:13 am
It's a skateboarding term. "Planting" your face means falling on the ground so your face impacts with it.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 07:43 am
Thank you.
The article was about crowds being drunk and disorderly, in general.
In Britain, we have a slang expression "off your face" which has a similar connotation.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 08:45 am
I beg to differ about the similar connotations.

In UK slang, being "off your face" means being really drunk or high on drugs. ("Off your cake" meant being E'd up in the early 1990s)

However, planting your face does not necessarily have anything to do with being intoxicated. It just means you fell over spectacularly.

Urban Dictionary says...

Quote:
A serious fall in which you land on your face. It's called a "face plant" because it appears as if you're trying to do an impression of a plant with your face as its roots.

Involving sports such as skateboarding, or bike riding, or any other sport for that matter, and you fall, and land directly on your face.

That was a nice face plant when your bike hit that mud spot.
0 Replies