just found I have diabetes

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 11:38 am
This is a little difficult to explain. I'm 63 and just found out last week I have diabetes. For a person who has had exceptional health all his life it threw me for a loop. To give you an idea of good health at my peak while manageing camera stores (2 stores-21 years and 9 years) not one sick day. The last physical I had was 42 years ago. The sympton that alerted me was a tingling in my right foot. Anyway I went to an urgent care facility and saw 5 doctors. They couldn't find a pulse in the right foot until I reached the third doctor. They were considering putting me on a table and operating on the spot. The fact that color had returned to the foot convinced them it was on the mend. They set up an appointment for September 17th with a vascular surgeon for more tests on the leg. I also was given a prescription for glucophage pills.

That first night (last Tuesday) I was distraught. Wednesday I returned almost to normal. The reason I'm posting this is I have difficulty conceiving of a life in which I suddenly must as many people do pay attention to my health where before it wasn't even considered. I knew I was lucky for those many years. Now to alter my life style to deal with this i.e. medicine, diet, exercise completely sunk in hasn't really sunk in. Any advice?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,000 • Replies: 14
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 11:42 am
Bob, I'm so sorry. I just saw a blurb on Yahoo news the other day about diabetes becoming an epidemic. Cases are skyrocketing.

Perhaps looking for some support groups is a way to start, either IRL or online or both. Talking with people who have experienced what you are going through now can really help, both emotionally and in terms of practical information.

Good luck!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 11:59 am
It's type II, Adult Onset, runs in my family and my wife's. Best advice, follow the doctor's advice, and if there are any diabetes awareness seminars in your area, attend one. It's tough at first, but cutting out sugars and refined flour from your diet is good for you anyway. Also, be thankful that you can rely on pills, diet and exercise, rather than injections. Type II diabetes is generally manageable and curable sometimes, if you follow what the experts tell you. You are a man's man, it seems, with the falconing and all. Suck up the pride and face it, and you'll be fine. I had two grandparents die because they ignored their doctors. Accept the reality and move on. Go to the surgeon, see what he has to say, and again, move on. Follow the diet, eat more protein, lots of vegetables and leafy greens, exercise....I dunno mate, that's the best I can do for now. Keep us informed....I'm only 32 and have already had one scare for type II diabetes (false reading, but clear warning). If I don't eat enough protein, my legs sometimes go into spasm, so I am trying to nip this one in the bud. :wink:
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 12:08 pm
Thanks Soz and Cav:

re: leg spasms one of my friends says bananas are a good source for supplying necessary vitamins to control this.

Interesting that they said sodas are out but diet sodas are heavier in sodium content. Which is the lesser of two evils?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 12:28 pm
Bobsmyth- First, don't panic. Type II diabetes CAN be controlled. I am 64, and was diagnosed with borderline Type II diabetes a couple of years ago. I am controlling it with diet and exercise.

It's funny. I was recently having a conversation with a friend about the very subject that you have brought up. People who have had health problems all their lives have developed coping skills to deal with situations. People who have always been in good health have never had to, so it is somewhat more difficult.

Remember, that there are a lot of resources for you to learn how to deal with your condition. The main thing is to change your eating patterns, now. Stay away from starches and sugars.........there are many books for diabetics which will point you in the right direction. The American Diabetes Association has a lot of information.

http://www.diabetes.org/main/application/commercewf

One of the things that you need to come to grips with, is at our age, visits to the doctor become more frequent. That is a reality. As you have sadly learned, it is not wise to avoid the doctors, if you want to keep healthy. You need to have your lipids and sugar checked, and you need a complete physical once a year. I kinda figure that the body is like a car. Put on enough mileage, and it needs trips to the mechanic more often.

Calm down. A change in a person's life is always a jolt at first. When you learn about the condition, you will become much more comfortable about coping with it. And you know that you have lots of support at A2K!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 12:31 pm
Bobsmyth- So what's wrong with Perrier?? Laughing
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 12:35 pm
Thanks Phoenix-- found website which has extensive info and will memorize it in a couple of hours (ha ha).

http://alegent.iqhealth.com/atoz/diabetes1/diasites.htm

I know a lot of people here who are sincere in their concern and dedicated to helping others. I'll work it out.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 12:57 pm
Oh, bummer. I'm sorry to read that. I guess next time we all go out, it'll be for some protein, eh? I wish you well, my friend.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 01:09 pm
Thanks Jespah. I sure hope my body remembers protein and doesn't reject it as alien food.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 01:13 pm
Protein rocks....especially steak....
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 01:15 pm
Well that's good to hear for I've got a lot at steak here.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 03:25 pm
Remember, Bob, you're the same person you were before the diagnosis. The difference between this week and last week is your problem has a name and you have a way to solve the problem.

In diabetes, ignorance is not bliss.

Also, many of the complications of diabetes are actually due to years of talking the old fashioned pig-based insulin. The new Humalin is much less toxic.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 07:07 pm
Thanks for the good words Noddy. Will approach adjustment in life style without panic. Life goes on.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 07:20 pm
I had a sudden crash-course in diabetes 1.5 years ago when my cat was diagnosed with the feline version. Meat is just fine for diabetics so long as there isn't the added issue of high cholesterol.

Bob, soda doesn't seem like such a hard thing to drop! But, that's just from my perpective, I don't really drink the stuff anyway. Wouldn't it be nice if you could just give up the soda to bring your blood glucose into check?

Oh yeah, I agree that you should find a group - online or in real life - to help you adjust.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 07:44 pm
Hi LittleK

No. I'm a loner and I'll deal with it myself. Except of course for my dear friends like you at A2K for whom I am extremely grateful.
0 Replies