http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23319781/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,263 • Replies: 25
No top replies

rabel22

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 11:40 am
I noticed the article described him as a consumer advocate. This is another example of the news making a hero of someone who is only interested in notoriety for himself. I believe he is a megalomanic. And also a jackass.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 03:20 pm
He's exactly what we need to keep Obama out of the WH.
0 Replies

nappyheadedhohoho

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 03:24 pm
Hillary said, "well, it's a free country".

Obama said, "there might be some ballot challenges".

If McCain or Huckabee have commented, I haven't heard it yet.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 03:32 pm
Hillary is on target...
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 03:55 pm
maporsche wrote:

We?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 04:02 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
maporsche wrote:

We?

Yes, we.
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 04:23 pm
nappyheadedhohoho wrote:
Hillary said, "well, it's a free country".

Obama said, "there might be some ballot challenges".

If McCain or Huckabee have commented, I haven't heard it yet.

Quote:
Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee, speaking shortly before Nader's announcement, said Nader's past runs have shown that he usually pulls votes from the Democrat. "So naturally, Republicans would welcome his entry into the race," the former Arkansas governor said on CNN.

source
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 05:04 pm
Nader has done yeoman's work against the corporate ruling class, he has my respect and admiration. I doubt thought that he could pull enough votes to alter the election. We already have two agents of change (McCain and Obama), and if Nader's message were right for the times Edwards would have done better. I suspect that he wants debate time to get visibility for the struggle against the corporate class.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 05:22 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
what a jackass....

Yeah, he's one of the few honest people out there who actually stands up for the little people against corporate scum. What a jackass.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 05:32 pm
kickycan wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
what a jackass....

Yeah, he's one of the few honest people out there who actually stands up for the little people against corporate scum. What a jackass.

If he is such a fool then there is nothing for you to get worked up and defensive about. The problem for you guys is he is not wrong, we have invested everything into the corporate model, and it has worked out poorly. Our society is bankrupt, fracturing socially, and is increasingly corrupt. Nader is planting seeds, which will germinate.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 05:33 pm
he was...now he's just a dick...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 05:34 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
kickycan wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
what a jackass....

If he is such a fool then there is nothing for you to get worked up and defensive about. The problem for you guys is he is not wrong, we have invested everything into the corporate model, and it has worked out poorly. Our society is bankrupt, fracturing socially, and is increasingly corrupt. Nader is planting seeds, which will germinate.

I agree with you. I was being sarcastic.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 05:41 pm
kickycan wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:
kickycan wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
what a jackass....

I agree with you. I was being sarcastic.

Oh, missed that, sorry.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 05:53 pm
Nader is a gift that just keeps on giving.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 06:03 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Nader is a gift that just keeps on giving.

So you admire his stamina then....that's something. And yes, he has an impressive constitution.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 06:07 pm
:-)

I have, in the past, liked Ralph Nader a lot. I think he's done some really important things. NOW, however... well, I think James Fallows puts it well.

Quote:
I have liked and admired Ralph Nader so much. I first worked for him when I was in my teens (and he was in his 30s). Under his auspices, encouragement, and relentless pressure, I'd written two books for his organization by the time I was 23 -- if only I'd been able to keep up that pace! Or that sales success, since one of them -- Who Runs Congress, turned out in eight weeks, with Mark Green and David Zwick --- eventually sold in the millions.

Nader was funny, warm, brilliant-seeming, and, yes, caring. He visited my wife in the hospital after our first child was born. For years after that, he never failed to ask about both of our kids (or my wife) whenever I talked with him. I say all this as an indication of why Ralph Nader has so many people who actually are loyal to him -- and who wish they didn't have to face the reality about the choices he has made over the last eight years.

That he stayed in the race in 2000 was tragedy. (See: Invasion of Iraq, 2003, and subsequent occupation.) That he came back in 2004 was unfortunate; his entry in 2008 is farce. Farce because it suggests detachment from political reality (the differences between the Republican and Democratic nominees are so faint that we can say, What the hell!) and, worse, narcissism. The fact that it won't make any difference in the outcome actually is sad.

I will always like and respect Ralph Nader and will always admire the wonderful things he has done. But I wish to God that he had not made this decision, or will reverse it soon. (And, I am sorry that saying this will make me an enemy in his eyes.) He is a better man than his recent decisions indicate.

http://jamesfallows.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/02/ralph_nader_tragedy_to_farce.php
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 06:17 pm
Quote:
Farce because it suggests detachment from political reality (the differences between the Republican and Democratic nominees are so faint that we can say, What the hell!)

The differences between the parties on corporate culture are nonexsistant, which is the problem. That is why Nader feels the need to carry the flag, because no one else is. He is to old and tired for this, someone else needs to step up. If this is a farce it is at least a principled one. However, if he enters the ring and looks foolish because he has already taken too many punches then he needs to not do it, even if no one else will. He hurts the cause if he does not know when to quit.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 06:31 pm
I like Nader for his past work. I wish he would stay out of presidential politics.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 07:01 pm
Why should he stay out of the running for presidency?

When some Clinton supporters said this about Obama they were lambasted. Now those same Obama supporters are saying that about Nader?
0 Replies