Natural Dietary Habits / Detoxifiers / Remedies and Health

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 08:19 am
In planning some activities for the community I recently came into contact with someone that will be giving a workshop on eating in ways that reduce sugar "highs" and healthier dietary habits in general. She's a "naturalist." I'm looking forward to hearing what she has to say.

In the meantime, what dietary changes have you made that had impressive results in your overall health, dealt with a specific health issue, or in general provided a less sluggish feeling?

What have you tried that worked or didn't work?

Is it really just as expensive or more so to buy natural / organic as processed?

Consider this is a general topic addressing eating healthy and what does or does not work, how or why it works or not, recommendations and what to avoid falling for, etc.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,093 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Joeblow

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 09:36 am
I can speak to the "less sluggish" aspects of your post squinney. While I could never follow a low carb regime, I do feel scads better when I limit my intake.

Periodically (do NOT read what I had for breakfast yesterday!) I pack in my consumption of refined sugars, flour (breads) and potatoes. I feel better, begin to crave healthier choices (more fruits) and typically experience a weight loss of about seven pounds.

(bookmark)
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 10:36 am
Only thing that makes a difference in the way I feel is water. Too little, and I feel like crap.

But that's not the real reason I responded. I wanted to compliment you on your use of the slash-mark. That's what I call it, "slash-mark." And there are multiple in your title. Good job.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 10:37 am
Thanks, Joe. Don't judge my Frosted Flakes breakfast, either. I'm going to consider it a much needed cleansing of the cabinets so I can make room for healthier items without wasting. Laughing

I'm usually one for "everything in moderation." I must admit to needing more fruits and vegetables in my diet. One specific question I have is if it's worth going organic. Or, are regular fruits fine? Do they need to be washed with antibacterial soap? Or, does that introduce toxins or change digestive flora in a way that is worse than what might be on the fresh fruit? Or, are pesticides inside and can't be washed off anyway?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 10:54 am
I'm a real slasher at heart, Slap.

I sometimes get tired of the ... .
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 01:02 pm
squinney, I don't know. I don't deliberately buy organic, uness it looks reallly good and I want whatever it is at the moment I'm there.

I do clean my veggies and fruit before eating them, but with water and a paper towell, usually. I've tried the soap they sell for fruits and vegetables (not antibacterial if I recall) but it was long ago. Someone probably gave it to me. Pain in the ass and I didn't continue with it. So, I'm interested in your questions, too. Maybe I should make the effort.

I'm certain Slappy's right about water. It's my default liquid, so no sacrifice needed in my fluid intake (except I drink too much morning coffee).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 01:08 pm
I found the link on this thread useful, Squinney -

http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=103618
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 04:01 pm
So squinney and I went to Whole Foods today and surpirsingly a lot of the organic frits and vegetabl;es were really about the same as the regular grocery store.

Since she is still trying to pass stones and since my stones are backi on the move (I've passed tow big ones very painfully in the last 24 hours)
certified herbalogist they have on staff who steered us toward some Mashmallow root which will supposedly soften the sotnes to ease their passing. we are also juicing from freah beets known to be an amazing blood cleanser and good for both kidney and liver function.

After a week of this regimen we are going back and getting some full body cleanse kits.

I have always been a big believer in the sensible use of herbs, supplements and natural foods. I also believe that you can trace a large percentage of diseases to nutrition.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 10:39 pm
Interesting, Bear. I wish Whole Foods was closer, but I and some others live in the non Yup part of Albuquerque. I remember Diane trying to ward off her great difficulty of last year with beets...

Did you or Squinney say the water there was part of the problem? (something local, but I forget what). I'm wondering re how to attack the stones by dealing with the water system (if that's what it was), but I suppose that is expensive.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 01:01 am
it's the entire mid atlantic and southeast.. high mineral content in the water...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 03:35 am
Ah.

Well, I'm fully ignorant on this, so no promo.

I do think the water is not a dumb place to look.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 02:29 pm
most kidneystones are formed of CALCIUM - milk , cheeses , yoghurt ...
the linked site by a gastro clinic gives a pretty good overview of some of the causes and gives some hepfull hints for diet modification - better give up many of the good foods you are enjoying - possibly even beets !

Quote:
1. Increase fluid intake. This is the most important preventive measure for all patients who develop kidney stones. It hinders the formation of stones by diluting the urine. For example, more sugar can be dissolved in a full glass of iced tea than in a half glass. Patients should drink enough fluid to produce two quarts or more of urine each day. As a guideline, drink 8-10 oz of fluid every hour while awake, and 8-10 oz once during the night if awakened for some reason. At least 50% of the total fluid intake should be water. In warmer climates and for physically active people, an even higher fluid intake is recommended.

2. Calcium: Calcium from food sources is absorbed during digestion in the intestines. The body uses this mineral for many important functions. Any excess that has been absorbed is excreted or passed through the kidneys. The biggest portion of calcium in the diet comes from milk and foods made from large amounts of milk, such as cheeses and yogurt. The calcium in these foods is usually easily absorbed. Other foods, such as dark green leafy vegetables, contain significant amounts of calcium. However, they also contain other substances which prevent the body from readily absorbing the calcium. So, the amount of available calcium in green leafy vegetables is less than in milk. Certain antacids and over-the-counter medications also contain calcium that may or may not be in a form the body can absorb.

complete article :
KIDNEYSTONES
0 Replies