A STrange Occurence at the SUsquehanna Bridge

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 06:44 am
We went to a (supposedly) good restaurant along the SUsquehanna last evening. While there, I had to visit the boys room and my wife had seen some friends over at the bar and went over to talk to them for a minute. Well, afetr I came from the toidy, I was called over to the bar and we talked to our friends for about 10 minutes. In the meantime, the maitre d had totally bussed our table and given it to another party.

I felt like I had some responsibility because we did slow up the flow of customers. I ws rather nice and apologetic and was very dferential to the maitre d. (Now get this, I am NOT a guy who goes through life asking to see the manager). I am pretty mellow and I think Ive only sent food back 2 times in MY ENTIRE LIFE.
SO, hat in hand, I asked whether we were overlooked and whether our table was bussed too quickly.
The maitre d ,in a very condescending way, stated that he sexpects diners to be seated and through within an hour and a half. We were not allowed to just "aimlessly wander around like a tourist" (his words at high decibels).

So, I asked for when another table would be available and was told "NOT IN THIS MONTH" I was beginning to feel the old stirrings . I asked whether their business is dependent on good food and service or some "snotty D-bag who enjoys playing field marshall". "Cjrissakes, its a restaurant, not a trauma center". I was beginning to get really angry. Well, as it turne out our friends, and another couple, as well as we, walked out and my last word ws
"Im gonna enjoy redaing about when you go out of business bunky"

I was initially apologetic and realized that we wasted probably all of 10 minutes. This restaurant is the "latest" flavor of the east, and has been trying to develop a rep like the "Inn at Little Washington"
We sw the menu and it was nowhere near the ..."Inn".

We have a really great restaurant near us called the "FAir Hill Inn" that is a dream to eat at. Its food is outstanding and the aitstaff and the chefs are all helpful and must take valium because they are never ruffled.

That was a first for us, has anyone else ever been shuffled out in such a fashion by some snotty assed maitre d'?

dadpad

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 06:58 am
I can kinda see his point farmer and I think you do as well from your post. But disagree with his attitude most serverly. I'd write to the local paper.

I was once told I had to be finished/leave before 8.00 pm as I was not dressed formally enough. I actually considered this fair enough as we were on the motor bike. Upmarket restaurants and leather jackets don't really go.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 07:06 am
I failed to mention that my wife left her cape and bag at the table and we had been drinking some sparkling water and were served some little elfin veggies.
I did act very apologetic at first, but as the maitre d got more like Rommel, I was beginning to get annoyed at his whole attitude. I fail to see that an evening out should be dictated to us.
BTW, we went to a Deli in HArrisburg that I knew of and we had some really great messy Reuben sammiches and Dr Browns Celerey Soda.

Im never down in the dumps for long. We are constantly making lemonade.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 07:42 am
The end story is the restaurant provides a style of service that does not include a 4 hour leisurely dinner experience. I guess if they are going to enforce a time limit a public notification should be given.

The 1.5 hour rule would put an enormous amount more revenue through. If the restaurant is popular and they have no trouble filling tables or getting bums on seats a time limit such as that would double turnover.

I'd want to know about it in advance though.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 11:45 am
You were mistreated farmerman.

Nothing could entice me back to that establishment if I were so shabbily handled.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 11:50 am
farmerman, I admire your restraint in dealing with this bitch. It was admirable.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 11:55 am
In Vancouver, we are overrun with Asians and East Indians, and they are if anything polite and tireless to a fault; at least when it comes to restaurant service, so such a thing has never happened to me and mine.

I doubt if most of them could easily break the mindset of service-service-service.

Even the least expensive places have good food and chop-chop service.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 12:47 pm
Farmerman
Here's a pinup for the bullseye on your dart board:

http://www.weimax.com/images/snooty_man.gif
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 02:13 pm
Weekends start on Thursday in our area and the tables get scheduled sometimes weeks in advance. For the "Inn at Little Washington" we waited over 3 months to get a table for 4 but we were treated superbly and were not rushed or even annoyed by an overly attentive waitstaff (always a good sign that they want to push tables). The place is a bit prisey.

But I was talking WRightsville PA , not exactly NYC .
I predict that these guys will havea blazing arc of existence. They were featured in a couple of newspapers and theyre still enjoying the noteriety . However, ive found that many restaurant critics have no idea about eating anyway.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 08:17 pm
@farmerman,
So, how's business?

Just read this now. I agree with you, farmer.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 09:21 pm
You are saying that you had already been seated, served the obligatory opening round of water, and had left personal possessions at the table? And we are talking about a 10-minute interval absent from the table? If that is the case and you were treated in this manner, I would 1) write a polite but sternly worded letter to the management advising them of the treatment that you had received. If that doesn't produce a speedy apology and a guaranteed appointment, preferably one that includes offer of a comped meal, then you advise the BBB, write an appropriate review on the web, and the letter to the newspaper.

If you had been absent from the table 20-30 minutes, the waiter could properly assume you had walked out. 10 minutes? No way no how should that assumption be drawn.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 09:44 pm
@Foxfyre,
This thread is a tad old, I found it when I was tagging. Thus my wonder if the restaurant is still going..

I've some sympathy for the level of pain in making a restaurant work, but..
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 05:41 am
@Foxfyre,
It was no more than 10 min because my wife was looking at her watch and stated that we must get back to our table.

Its a distant memory and Ive heard that the restaurant is not struggling but is now developing clientele from the DC area. (always a good shot for business).
This restaurant is about 95 miles from DC and maybe 40 miles from Baltimore. So, to expand a clientele that includes the free spending DConians, means that the place didnt ever suffer any loss by our avoidance.
Fuk em, thats what I say.
0 Replies