How can we make a difference?

Ragman

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 10:07 pm
I want to share some of my deeper thoughts on the coming USA election at this most critical time we face as a nation and world:

I'm trying to work out who I want to back in this Presidential race and how to go about it. I'm very concerned as I've fervent hopes that this Presidential election resolve the critical watershed events of our country's precarious future as a world power (and our retirement and livelihoods). Our collective futures are at stake, so I propose the following:

These two candidates, Billary and Obama, are effectively negating Democrats chances of winning the Presidency. Therefore, one of these two must take up the role for the other as Vice President. Alternatively, Edwards isn't a decent option for various reasons (perhaps he doesn't seem to stir up enough passionate voter interest, but I digress as this could be a debatable point.)

As this $3 Trillion war in Afghanistan/Iraq/Pakistan drains the resources of our country (already now more expensive than the 10 yrs of Vietnam War), it is CRITICAL that we remove ourselves as effectively and quickly as possible. I understand from reading McCain's promises and knowing of his nature as a former POW and military man with war-hero family...read HAWK), he probably won't do this task. His policy statements commit the military to "staying the course" for far more than the next 10 yrs. So my thought is that the Democrats MUST win! That means the Democrats unifying behind one candidate as quickly as possible.

So should we rally behind one of them and get behind a letter-writing campaign for one of these candidates to be VP? Or will we let both of their egos prevent a Democratic win? While they attack one another, they've already turned the campaign dangerously negative -- further feeding/strengthening the weak McCain's candidacy. McCain has made conservative Republican run toward Huckabee (Yikes) for a kindred spirit. This is a strategically good time for Democrats to rally behind a single candidate.

Must we watch another Democratic meltdown? Can we allow them to shoot themselves in the foot again? Can we continue to watch American (and Iraqi) lives and fortunes be wasted for the sake of...what? Arrogance?

Presidential debates will happen soon enough..and employment/economy discussions are absurdist arguments as the biggest drag on our economy is this war. Shouldn't we be dedicating our financial might to fighting global warming and finding alternative energy sources and moving closer to energy sufficiency? We need to become less dependent on the petrol reserves of foreign powers (who hate us). They're the ones trying to destroy our way of life. Why must we enrich them because we're too unfocused, apathetic or too damned lazy to find alternative energy?

Why can't our Presidential candidate sincerely work towards finding solutions to THESE problems and stop being selfish and egotistical or feeding their inferior political opponents?

Must the Democrats lose this (even more critical) election again?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 915 • Replies: 15
No top replies

fishin

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 10:24 pm
Re: How can we make a difference?
Ragman wrote:
Why can't our Presidential candidate sincerely work towards finding solutions to THESE problems and stop being selfish and egotistical or feeding their inferior political opponents?

Must the Democrats lose this (even more critical) election again?

By and large, I agree with you. But I also think it's impractical. Issues like Global Warming and Alternative Energy conjure up visions of PhD's doing research and crunching numbers. They don't bring up a vision of Joe Autoworkerwhojustgotlaidoff finding a job in the next month and putting food on the table or paying rent. R&D projects create more jobs for people that generally don't have to much of a problem getting jobs to begin with. They don't do much for the 35-55 year old high school grad/GED holder that's been working in retail, on an assembly line or in a trade or clerical position in the short term.

(Oh, and I think a Hillary/Obama ticket is the worst idea ever! Laughing )
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 10:28 pm
Millions of Detroit auto-workers can be employed for many decades to come if the Big 3 automakers weren't so arrogant and had changed directions about a decade ago and made alternative energy autos and/or more efficient gas-mileage machines. Of course the technology was there. We had the technology to reach the moon (and dance on it, for crissakes)!

S'OK that you think Hillary-Obama ticket doesn't work. So what's your better idea?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 10:37 pm
Ragman wrote:
Millions of Detroit auto-workers can be employed for many decades to come if the Big 3 automakers weren't so arrogant and had changed directions about a decade ago and made alternative energy autos and/or more efficient gas-mileage machines. Of course the technology was there. We had the technology to reach the moon (and dance on it, for crissakes)!

What they did or didn't do 10 years ago isn't going to swing the balance of an election in November. The masses vote on a "What can you do for me over the next 4 years?" basis. Construction workers are being laid off right now. What's going to get them back to earning a paycheck? Global warming and alternative energy R&D projects are long term things that need to be addressed but neither is going to win if 20 million people are sitting around unemployed waiting for the R&D to move to a production phase.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 10:43 pm
Ragman wrote:
S'OK that you think Hillary-Obama ticket doesn't work. So what's your better idea?

McCain-Giuliani, baby!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 10:49 pm
Ragman wrote:

I've made no secret that I've been supporting Obama so of course, I'd prefer he lead any ticket. I think he could curry back some favor from many of the Clinton supporters if he tapped a woman for the VP job.

If he plays the typical strategy he'll find someone that isn't from the midwest. He could ask Boxer(CA), Hutichson (TX), Cantwell (WA) who are all current Senators or someone like Lee (CA) from the House.

Obama already wins in polls against McCain and his negative ratings are pretty low. Based on polls Hillary's negatives are in the 45% range and roughly 30% of voters won't vote for her be any means. IMO, she's the risk on any ticket.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 10:52 pm
Choosing Guiliani is political suicide
Ticomaya wrote:
Ragman wrote:

McCain-Giuliani, baby!

Do you think Guiliani could garner ANY votes after his campaign just showed how shallow his support is? McCain is far too politically astute and is criticized far too heavily due to his lack of conservative views. You do know that Guiliani is pro-choice and far too moderate for the fundamentalist, staunch conservative Repubs. Choosing Guiliani is political suicide.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 10:57 pm
McCain-Thompson, baby!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 10:58 pm
fishin wrote:
Ragman wrote:

I've made no secret that I've been supporting Obama so of course, I'd prefer he lead any ticket. I think he could curry back some favor from many of the Clinton supporters if he tapped a woman for the VP job.

If he plays the typical strategy he'll find someone that isn't from the midwest. He could ask Boxer(CA), Hutchison (TX), Cantwell (WA) who are all current Senators or someone like Lee (CA) from the House.

Perhaps they're viable candidates but ...

Boxer is far too liberal to aid Obama in southern states and Midwest, is she not?

Hutchison (TX), is not known nationally (and not known by me). We'll have see what she is about and whether or not he picks her.

Cantwell (WA)...not familiar with her. Is she nationally known? Is she conservative or at least moderate?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 11:13 pm
Ragman wrote:
fishin wrote:
Ragman wrote:

If he plays the typical strategy he'll find someone that isn't from the midwest. He could ask Boxer(CA), Hutchison (TX), Cantwell (WA) who are all current Senators or someone like Lee (CA) from the House.

Perhaps they're viable candidates but ...

Boxer is far too liberal to aid Obama in southern states and Midwest, is she not?

Hutchison (TX), is not known nationally (and not known by me). We'll have see what she is about and whether or not he picks her.

Cantwell (WA)...not familiar with her. Is she nationally known? Is she conservative or at least moderate?

Boxer probably is to far left to be of help.

Forget I sad Hutchison! lol I don't know why I typed that. She's a Republican from TX. I think she came up on the same page as the person I meant to mention - Kathy Castor of FL. Castor is a House Freshman so she may not help on the overall experience front but she's on the House terrorism subcommittee which I think does help an Obama ticket on the whole security issue. Plus, being from FL and having a hispanic surname doesn't hurt.

Cantwell is fairly well known. I see her as fairly middle-of-the-road.

Lee is on the House International Affairs Comm. which I think also helps Obama on the Foreign Affairs front.

Of course there is also Pelosi but I don't know right now if it would be a good move for her to be taken out of her leadership position in the House and I don't think she'd help in the south either.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 11:20 pm
OK, then...Cantwell is more viable so far...I'll research her.

Forget choosing Pelosi as she'll be of more help to the cause where she is then as VP. She'll not assist him a bit with Southern-tier voters and displaced/disaffected conservatives of any stripe or those independents who dislike MCCain.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 01:47 am
She makes my "short list" for Dem. candidates for Veep:

"Maria E. Cantwell (born October 13, 1958) is the junior United States Senator from the state of Washington and is a member of the Democratic Party. Previously she served in Washington House of Representatives and one term as member of the United States House of Representatives from Washington's 1st congressional district.

Cantwell, Debbie Stabenow of Michigan, and Claire McCaskill of Missouri are the only women to have defeated elected incumbent senators in U.S. history."

. . .

"Cantwell serves on the Finance Committee, the Indian Affairs Committee, the Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee, the Energy and Natural Resources Committee, and the Small Business and Entrepreneurship Committee. She also served on the Judiciary Committee during her first two years (2001-2002).

While she scores high on a progressive chart from ProgessivePunch.org,[1] Cantwell has made several controversial votes during her time in the Senate that have created friction between her and members of the Democratic Party."
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 02:29 am
Romney and Rice

Laughing
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 03:02 am
Obama and Bloomberg ...now hmmmmm Question

"Forbes and other sources report his net worth at US $11.5 billion as of 2007. Bloomberg is among the world's richest people. He was ranked 34th by Forbes magazine in its list of 400 Richest Americans in September 2006. He was ranked 142nd in its list of the in March 2007 List of the World's Billionaires.

As mayor of New York, Bloomberg declines to receive a city salary, accepting remuneration of $1.00 annually for his services."

My kind of candidate - a man who couldn't be bribed, would know how to negotiate a budget, trim fat, and fry bacon in a pan all at the same time.
(Not too Kosher, huh?)
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 05:19 pm
Ragman
I used to read all the views
and seldom air my own.

English is not my mother tongue

All I wish is this.
Better be a barbaric bushman
than be a half -backed couch potatoe.
Rama
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 10:09 pm
As usual, I have no clue what you are on about.
0 Replies