i didnt know alexandert the great was tutored by aristotle

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 04:26 pm
funny, one of the greatest minds (imo) and he taught one of the worlds greatest military commanders?

O_o

i keep noticing a correlation between intelligence and violence, or rather, ever notice how some psychos talk tlike they are english teachers?

Im not sure what im getting at, but it seems like the more intelligent a creature is, the more ruthless it is. the more able fighter it becomes. the more willing to kill it becomes.

am i mistaken? i read a story about a monkey who used a gesture that meant i think your OK to lure another smaller monkey closers so she could beat it up basically.

Are intelligence and deception related? what does deception have to do with intelligence?

im not through thinking about it. but i figured id post it early im still on wiki.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,940 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 04:38 pm
Don't worry, it had no moral effect on Alexander.

There is no reason to assume that Alexander was any kind of military genius. His father, Philip was very successful, militarily, and had overrun the Greek city states. In fairness to Alexander, he did participate in some of his father's battles, but it is not known if he showed any initiative. His father took Byzantium in 340 BCE, which became Constantinople, and which is today Istanbul. This is considered to have been preparatory to an invasion of the Persian Empire, although it is pointed out that it simply could have been a defensive move against Persian interference. It is certain that the Greeks had already chosen Philip to lead an expedition against the Persians, but he was diverted by the need (as he saw it) to conquer the Greeks and end their petty squabbles.

Philip was assassinated four years later, and Alexander became King Alexander III of Macedon, by acclamation of the army. He was chosen by the Greeks to lead the expedition against the Persians, after a failed attempt to defy him by the Greeks.

Philip was already surrounded by a trusted corps of officers of ability and experience. It is very likely that Alexander simply relied upon these officers, and provided the will to conquest. It is reported by some sources that he was always jealous of his father's glory, and complained that he would be left with nothing to conquer. In battle, he would lead his household cavalry against the center of the enemy's army, in the attempt to capture the opposing commander. One can hardly control an army if one is rushing about attempting to hack people into smaller pieces. My personal opinion is that he was a well-educated, egotistical, petulant and immature homicidal maniac who had the good fortune to land in a job where he could indulge his passions--indiscriminate homosexual orgies and butchering strangers. Not bad work, i guess, if you can find it.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 04:41 pm
he always did capture the imagination.gay orgies? may i ask if thats true ? lol! where did u hear that?
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 03:18 am
He fought in most of his battles and never lost one. He was a 5'1" pansexual alcoholic who could kick the combined asses of a roomful of you or I single handedly. He can't be defined simply as a strategist or a soldier, but he was the best at it.

Back on task here - I think great mind => violence is an invalid paradox, although tellingly so and not for any moralistic reason.

Since WWI & II we've come to see all militarism as philistine and pointless, and in those contexts it makes sense because you had for the first time people getting ground up mechanically. If things continued that way it would be one thing, but along came a lunatic named Robert Heinlein who despite his flaws prophesied our current manner of warfare - that is with relatively few but highly trained/equipped/supported/enfranchised combatants. If you don't count the human cannonfodder which were a fact of the times and took no greater risks than Alexander brought on himself and for greater material profit relative to their standing, this is much closer to the type of operation the Macedonians had.

It wasn't just the best philosopher influencing the best commander either - it was a confluence of events, the genesis of Western Civilization. There were Thermopylae and The Anabasis, a dark age of undreamed of conflict and superstition leading into a golden age of social experiments. In one instance, my guess is more influential than Aristotle's lessons but I could be wrong, Alexander met with Diogenes in Athens and Diogenes told him to blow - thus impressing the hell out of him. Alexander had an open mind and sought understanding at a time when humanity was shifting gears.

That said, the co-incidence of enlightenment and military genius presents some interesting possibilities. Does might make right? Not always, you could be borne to be 7-foot tall and heir to a militant autocracy. But can we separate the two? Not as easily as some would like to think. A fighting man can't bullshit like a politico can, has to know a lot more about the real side and on the other side of the coin, knowledge can be power.

I blame Christianity for the confusion - like the best among us should give our lives for lepers in Calcutta. Look at eastern religions - in addition to saints who achieved understanding through other segments of the spectrum of human activities there are plenty of fightin' saints - my favorite being the one that ambushed and killed a 12-year-old, as a matter of principle early in his career.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 06:10 am
I see absolutely no basis for asserting that Alexander was a strategist, or a tactician. A field commander who immediately and precipitately becomes involved in the fighting is in no position to control events on the battlefield, so describing him as a tactician would be without foundation. Describing him as a strategists would equally be without foundation. The expedition against the Persians had long been projected by the Greeks, but they couldn't get their act together. Philip put them in their respective places, after which he was chose to lead the expedition. When Philip was assassinated, Alexander took his place, and after their initial failed insurrection, Alexander was chosen to lead the expedition.

Thereafter he simply attacked the Persians or spent his time "conquering" any other portion of "the known world" along the way. Having finished off the Persians, he crossed the Oxus, and continued his "conquests" by lunging forward to wherever he could find something which resembled a town. By the time he reached the valley of the Indus River, his army was ready to mutiny, and despite his melodramatic appeals to them on the basis of his personal glory, and wounds suffered in battle, they were adamant that they saw no reason to continue, and wanted to go home.

I see no reason to ascribe to Alexander any "military genius." He was bent on personal self-aggrandizement, and nothing else.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 06:20 am
I love that you share so much history here, Setanta. It wasn't my favorite subject in school, but you make it interesting.

Your last statement seems to me more of a current event. (History repeating itself over and over again?)
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 08:20 pm
You into Jesus squinney?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 08:36 pm
I know the story.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 08:40 pm
OGIONIK wrote:
i read a story about a monkey who used a gesture that meant i think your OK to lure another smaller monkey closers so she could beat it up basically.

This man is a veritable treasure trove of quotations suitable for sig lines. OGIONIK is fast becoming one of my favorite posters.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 09:06 pm
squinney wrote:
I love that you share so much history here, Setanta. It wasn't my favorite subject in school, but you make it interesting.

Your last statement seems to me more of a current event. (History repeating itself over and over again?)

Ditto on the thank you, Set, and ditto on the making it interesting part. Also thanks to hanno for the contribution. I love reading about history and am fascinated by how differently people analyze the material.

Don't stop now.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 09:28 pm
Perfect! My 12 year old is learning about Alexander the Great in history
class at the moment. I will let her read this...
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 12:37 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
OGIONIK wrote:
i read a story about a monkey who used a gesture that meant i think your OK to lure another smaller monkey closers so she could beat it up basically.

This man is a veritable treasure trove of quotations suitable for sig lines. OGIONIK is fast becoming one of my favorite posters.

im tellin you.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 01:57 pm
My thanks to those who have made kind remarks. It is not at all to be wondered at that Hanno and i can look at the same material, and come to different conclusions. Any two intelligent, reasonably well-educated individuals can read the daily newspaper, and come to different conclusion on the significance of what they read there.

As for Alexander, or anyone else to whom the sobriquet "the Great" is appended, i have often found that the title is accorded simply because of the impact this or that individual has had upon their world and times, rather than any demonstrable accumulation of talents. It is upon that basis that i find it absurd to call Alexander III of Macedon "the great." I would say the same of Pompey "the Great." Some people are given such titles simply in comparison to others who bore the same name--Pompey is an example. I would say the same of Catherine the Great, who is only "the great" in comparison to Catherine I of Russia, a former Lithuanian peasant girl who had the good fortune to marry Peter the Great. Catherine the Great was merely competent, which might be alleged to have been extraordinary in a day when women rarely ruled effectively in their own right. However, i would style her Catherine the Ruthless, and on that basis, she differs little from other Russian Emperors and Empresses.

Peter the Great probably deserves the title, despite his ruthlessness and his cruelty, because he learned so much, learned from his experience (a rare trait in anyone) and accomplished what his grandfather and father had failed to accomplish, which was to drag Russia, kicking and screaming, into the contemporary world of the 17th and 18th centuries, and into the cultural and political world of western Europe. He accomplished this by being willing to learn himself what was needed, and then by fiat, forcing that upon the otherwise rather lazy and self-indulgent aristocratic families of Russia. Peter sent the sons of Russian great houses out into western Europe, to Holland and England and Italy, to learn shipbuilding. But he had already been schooled himself in that craft by the Dutch, first in his own country, and later when he went in person to Amsterdam, and worked as a master carpenter in the same basis of his Dutch comrades, in the shipyard in which was built the warship the Dutch government was giving to him and to Russia as a gift. He created what was then the most extensive and well-equipped artillery of any army in Europe, but not before he had served under Scots officers in the artillery of his own army, and had earned the title of bombardier on the same basis as any other private soldier would be required to do. He also showed himself to be particularly politically canny from a young age.

Of all of those who have borne the title of "the Great," the one person to whom i believe the title was due is Frederick the Great. It is often assumed that he earned the title through his military career. It is my never humble opinion that it that were the only basis for the claim, he ought to have had the title of Frederick the Merely Competent. He was a competent, but not necessarily a brilliant military commander. In an age, however, when competence was an exception rather than the rule among commanders of high rank, that was saying a lot; and the more so when Dukes and Archdukes and Kings and Emperors took the field at the head of their troops to the detriment of their military operations.

What makes Frederick "the Great" is the sum of all of his other accomplishments. He reformed the Prussian administration so as to enable a largely impoverished state to support a large army, which was necessary to the defense of a what was a topographically nearly indefensible country. The reform of Prussian administration would have been of little value without the careful regulation of law and jurisprudence in Prussia, to which he also devoted his attention and his considerable energies, insisting upon and getting a high standard of probity in the courts, as well as in the civil administrators of his realm. He was also a successful and intelligent author of several books, all of which were also revelatory of his personal points of view and of his character. He was a competent performer on the flute (by some claimed to be a virtuoso) for which he composed about a hundred sonatas, and he wrote a few symphonies, too. He was a friend and correspondent of Voltaire, at least until he brought Voltaire to Berlin, and had a little to much of the great man's company. He actively sponsored the intellectual life of Prussia, and to great effect. Of all of the people in history who are accorded the title "the Great," i think no others had so great a claim on that honor as did he.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 02:01 pm
setanta, who do you think is/was the best military commander in history?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 03:21 pm
That's extremely hard to say, simply because military practice has always changed with the passage of time. Leadership counts for a good deal, which explains in no small measure how Frederick II was able to make so much of what was basically a scattered and indefensible state such as Prussia was in the 18th century. I'd rather not hazard an opinion on such a question, which, when one considers how much different military conditions are from one age to another, in fact, often, from one generation to another, is actually a meaningless question.

Among those who were great innovators, i would say that almost none existed in the ancient world (and in fact, i only say "almost none" because i have no doubt that there are any number of people willing to rush in and propose their own favorite candidates for such an honor). In the ancient world, Sun Tzu, a Chinese general about whom little is known for certain, seems to have been the most intelligent, and the most innovative thinker. That is only speculation, however, since we don't know the state of military practice 2,500 years ago in China, so one can't really say just how innovative he might have been. His book, The Art of War, is such a perceptive insight into military operations that it is studied profitably to this day. It also contains very perceptive insights into diplomatic relations, and both its military and its diplomatic prescriptions are carefully observed and practiced by business men the the far East in our own times.

From ancient times, battles were fought in parallel order, which means both sides lined up facing one another, and then had at it. Often, in fact, usually, cavalry would be placed on one flank or the other, and would attempt to break the enemy's line by a sudden charge (this, in fact, is what Alexander and his household cavalry did at the battle of Issus, when he first met and defeated the Persian Emperor with his main army). However, since both sides tended to do this, it often just resulted in a mounted brawl on either end of the main riot. Battles were, therefore, usually decided "at the push of the pike," meaning a bloody, ham-handed and brutal stand up fight until one side or the other broke. As soon as one side starts to run away, they are likely to pay a very heavy price in killed or wounded. This is why, even though the attacker usually suffers more than the defender, attacking, if properly handled, is preferable to standing on the defensive, because if it works, you can make your enemy pay a very high price, and perhaps even destroy them, despite your initial losses. That is why leadership matters so much. Alexander's leadership was of a paltry kind--he would throw himself recklessly into the fray, and that would inspire his Life Guard to a berserker frenzy to save his life. Iulius Caesar, by contrast, displayed true leadership, both in the military and the political spheres. On several notable occasions, Caesar won great victories even though his forces were outnumbered, and he commanded the loyalty of his troops, and of the common people of Rome, as his main rival, Pompey the Great, was never able to manage.

So, one can pick and choose among the great leaders of the past to attempt to make claims for who was the greatest. It is a game i generally don't care to play.

Most differences in the effectiveness of troops in history have depended on the exploitation of weapons, or weapons skills, such as the Goths with their "heavy cavalry," or the Mongols with their mounted archers--and of course, the Romans dominated the battlefields of the ancient western world for nearly a thousand years because of the steady discipline of their heavy infantry. There are, however, some few people who stand out since the era of firearms, because firearms worked such a radical change on the terms of tactical combat (don't confuse tactics with strategy; strategy determines where you fight, and often why--but tactics is the "art" or "science" of how, in detail, you fight). Firearms first make a difference in warfare at the end of the Hundred Years War, when Jean and Gaspard Bureau organized the artillery of the the King of France in the 15th century, and finally ended the domination of the English in that war and in France. Essentially, though, there had been no changes in tactics worthy of note. However, in the 15th century, the Bohemians (among others in Europe) became master makers of hand-held firearms, and when their religious hero Jan Hus was tricked by church leaders, and burned at the stake as a heretic, they rebelled against the Austrian masters, and for the first time in history, a force which relied almost exclusively on firearms dependably and repeatedly defeated those who attacked them. Those fights, though, were in rough country, and the Hussites would travel about in wagon trains, and would circle the wagons and shoot down their opponents when the Austrians attempted to attack them.

But in the 16th century, the revolt of the Dutch began, and they fought the Spanish for more than 80 years to secure their independence (i won't go into an explanation of why Spain then owned Holland), and things changed radically late in the 16th century. The spirit and great leader of the rebellion was William of Nassau, William the Silent. But he was assassinated in 1584, and his son Maurice, although lacking authority, began to organize the rebellion, and became its true leader, even when other men were given the command of the armies which fought the Spanish. The Dutch frequently hired German, English and Scots troops to fight the battles, which usually meant that German, English or Scots officers commanded the troops. Maurice read extensively on military theory, especially siege theory, and applied what he read in real life, on the campaign, and on the field of battle. Holland is hardly a country where cavalry would be trained and used, but Maurice created an effective Dutch cavalry, and a tradition which would last the Dutch right through the Napoleonic wars more than 200 years later. Still, Maurice, despite his reforms to make the infantry effective and reliable, instituted no innovations in tactical practice. But he did one thing which stunned Europe and heralded a new age of warfare. He stopped the attack of Spanish heavy cavalry with an infantry line, using firearms alone. It was unheard of, and in fact, was discounted by many at the time as a fluke. I can't give you a specific date at the moment, but it would have been in the 1580s or -90s.

What was more important than that, however, was that Maurice so impressed Gustav Vasa, that he hired Dutch officers to come to Sweden to instruct his officers and army, and sent Swedish officers to Holland to study and serve under Maurice. This only became important after Gustav Vasa was dead, though. He was the first king of the Vasa dynasty, and his successors ran into trouble almost immediately. Without going into the detail, the son of Gustav's third son became king in 1611, when he was just 17 years of age. That was Gustav Adolf, known to history as Gustavus Adolphus. I could write pages about him, but i will only take notice here that his "pure" Swedish army (the army before it became a majority of German levies) was trained to a standard and a tactical practice which was unknown in Europe in the 17th Century. At the time the opening phases of the Thirty Years War (1618-1648) was being fought, Gustav Adolf was fighting his uncle in Poland. Unfortunately, there are no good records of his campaigns, or how he fought there--we only know that the contest swayed back and forth, but that Gustav eventually defeated the Poles and his uncle (their elected king), even though he was fighting far from home and was usually outnumbered.

In 1630, however, he landed his army in northern Germany, and was come as the defender of German Protestants. There he burst upon the European military scene like a shell exploding in the dark night. His strategic sense was sound, and his initial actions were to secure his base, and to seek allies, or to frighten anyone in his path who might betray him. The main Imperial commander, Count Tilly was marching toward the north, and had arrived in Saxony in the spring of 1631, where Gustav Adolf met him with an army comprised of the Swedes, and Saxons who had been sent along with him by their reluctant Duke. As with almost all battles since time immemorial, the two armies lined up facing one another in parallel order. The Imperialists had a wooded ridge on their right, so almost all of the cavalry was put on their left flank, under the command of Gottfried Graf zu Pappenheim, a talented but mercurial Imperial officer. The Imperialists and the troops of the Catholic League were placed in huge blocks--in those days, a regiment (1500 men at full strength) would usually form in a solid block, fifty men wide and thirty men deep. But Tilly had the habit of putting many regiments together, with ten thousand men in each formation, 200 men wide and 50 men deep. They relied primarily on the pike (a long spear-like weapon, from 10 to 16 feet long, which a huge, ugly combination spear-head and ax at the business end), with some men using firearms on the flanks.

The Swedes lined up in a formation which the Imperialists did not understand, and which they viewed with contempt. When Maurice had broken the charge of the Spanish cavalry, his men were lined up ten men deep. But Gustav had modified this further (possibly from his experience campaigning in Poland), and he spread his army out in a long, thin line, with battalions of about 600 men in three lines, and relying upon muskets and short swords. In the intervals between the formations were light field guns which were placed to create a crossfire on any attacker in front of the line. Small detachments of cavalry stood behind and supported the guns, and although the bulk of the cavalry was on the Swedish right flank (facing Pappenheim), they were not in a huge solid block like the Imperialists, and a large amount of the cavalry was posted in small groups behind the center of the line.

In contempt, Pappenheim, against the orders of Count Tilly, launched his massive block of cavalry at the thin lines of Swedish horse. Their sheer momentum pretty well guaranteed initial success, but they were galled as they advanced by the fire of the small guns placed between the Swedish battalions, and as they drew near the Swedish cavalry, the nearby Swedish infantry battalions wheeled and poured a heavy fire of musketry into them. Pappenheim was sure that he was driving the Swedish horse, but in fact, they were running away by policy. Cavalry doesn't attack at a gallop, as they show it in the movies (until the Prussians did it a century later, but that's another tale), but usually start at a walk and work up to a trot, and come in for the kill at a canter. Nonetheless, this wears out the horses, and disorganizes the line. The Swedes retreated until Pappenheim's troopers were well and truly disorganized, at which point they turned, and supported by the reserves from the center, launched a counterattack which put the Imperial cavalry to a flight. They were severely punished on their way back to their own lines by the fire of the Swedish infantry and the small guns, too.

This was all too much for the Saxons, though, and they promptly ran for Dresden as fast as their fat little legs would carry them. It would appear that Tilly had the advantage. He had about 35,000 troops over all, and Gustav now had less than 24,000. But several factors have to be taken into account. Pappenheim's foolishness had cost Tilly the use of most of his horse, since they were worthless for the rest of the day, and had suffered badly from the Swedish small arms and artillery fire. On the other hand, the Swedish cavalry was largely unhurt, and had quickly returned to their starting positions, and were there to continue to protect the Swedish right flank. The desertion of the Saxons probably actually helped Gustav, because they weren't in the way any longer.

Tilly couldn't use the small cavalry force on his right, because they would have become disorganized attempting to cross the wooded ridges, so he threw his huge blocks of infantry into the gap where the Saxons had been, and then stopped them cold, so that they could turn about and reform, facing the Swedish left flank. The only problem with that was that the Swedish left flank wasn't there any longer. As the Imperialists were marching up, Gustav had drawn in his line, wheeled his battalions (easy to do because they were in small groups), and Tilly was now facing the bulk of Gustav's army, unhurt, and "un-fatigued." The attempted Imperialist attack turned into a disaster. The Swedes were using muskets, an innovation which was lighter and fired faster and more accurately than the firearms in common use up to that time. Tilly had quite a few musketeers himself, but they were on the flanks of his huge blocks of pikemen, and he had to stop the entire affair so that they could go to the front to fire--meanwhile, the Swedes were pouring in the musketry, and the small field guns in the intervals of the battalions were throwing solid shot into ranks 50 men deep, and were killing and mangling hundreds every minute. To "sweeten" the pie, the Swedish horse, now unthreatened, lead an attack on the Imperial artillery, knocking them out of the fight, and turning many of the guns on Tilly's huge blocks of infantry. The Imperialists broke before they could come "to the push of the pike." And that was the battle of Breitenfeld, near Leipsic.

Battles continued to be fought in parallel order, even by the Swedes. But a new sense of mobility, and the use of combined arms (infantry working in cooperation with cavalry and artillery) was introduced. Most of western Europe had thought little of the Swedes and the King before this battle--and even afterward, they didn't understand what had happened to Tilly. Many military observers had considered it a fluke. But some people paid attention, and new ideas began to circulate in European military circles. They would be applied, piecemeal, here and there in the wars which succeeded the death of Gustav (he was killed at the Battle of Lützen the following year, a few miles from the scene of his first great triumph), but it would not be until just before the French Revolution that any army would devise an entirely new system of tactical, organizational and operational method, when the French army was reorganized following the American Revolution.

That, of course, would take pages and pages more to explain. It is worth noting that both Clausewitz and Napoleon both considered him to be one of the greatest military commanders of all time.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 05:30 pm
Set the Great!
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 07:49 pm
this is like an epic post.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 07:50 pm
Setanta wrote:
That's extremely hard to say, simply because military practice has always changed with the passage of time. Leadership counts for a good deal, which explains in no small measure how Frederick II was able to make so much of what was basically a scattered and indefensible state such as Prussia was in the 18th century. I'd rather not hazard an opinion on such a question, which, when one considers how much different military conditions are from one age to another, in fact, often, from one generation to another, is actually a meaningless question.

Among those who were great innovators, i would say that almost none existed in the ancient world (and in fact, i only say "almost none" because i have no doubt that there are any number of people willing to rush in and propose their own favorite candidates for such an honor). In the ancient world, Sun Tzu, a Chinese general about whom little is known for certain, seems to have been the most intelligent, and the most innovative thinker. That is only speculation, however, since we don't know the state of military practice 2,500 years ago in China, so one can't really say just how innovative he might have been. His book, The Art of War, is such a perceptive insight into military operations that it is studied profitably to this day. It also contains very perceptive insights into diplomatic relations, and both its military and its diplomatic prescriptions are carefully observed and practiced by business men the the far East in our own times.

From ancient times, battles were fought in parallel order, which means both sides lined up facing one another, and then had at it. Often, in fact, usually, cavalry would be placed on one flank or the other, and would attempt to break the enemy's line by a sudden charge (this, in fact, is what Alexander and his household cavalry did at the battle of Issus, when he first met and defeated the Persian Emperor with his main army). However, since both sides tended to do this, it often just resulted in a mounted brawl on either end of the main riot. Battles were, therefore, usually decided "at the push of the pike," meaning a bloody, ham-handed and brutal stand up fight until one side or the other broke. As soon as one side starts to run away, they are likely to pay a very heavy price in killed or wounded. This is why, even though the attacker usually suffers more than the defender, attacking, if properly handled, is preferable to standing on the defensive, because if it works, you can make your enemy pay a very high price, and perhaps even destroy them, despite your initial losses. That is why leadership matters so much. Alexander's leadership was of a paltry kind--he would throw himself recklessly into the fray, and that would inspire his Life Guard to a berserker frenzy to save his life. Iulius Caesar, by contrast, displayed true leadership, both in the military and the political spheres. On several notable occasions, Caesar won great victories even though his forces were outnumbered, and he commanded the loyalty of his troops, and of the common people of Rome, as his main rival, Pompey the Great, was never able to manage.

So, one can pick and choose among the great leaders of the past to attempt to make claims for who was the greatest. It is a game i generally don't care to play.

Most differences in the effectiveness of troops in history have depended on the exploitation of weapons, or weapons skills, such as the Goths with their "heavy cavalry," or the Mongols with their mounted archers--and of course, the Romans dominated the battlefields of the ancient western world for nearly a thousand years because of the steady discipline of their heavy infantry. There are, however, some few people who stand out since the era of firearms, because firearms worked such a radical change on the terms of tactical combat (don't confuse tactics with strategy; strategy determines where you fight, and often why--but tactics is the "art" or "science" of how, in detail, you fight). Firearms first make a difference in warfare at the end of the Hundred Years War, when Jean and Gaspard Bureau organized the artillery of the the King of France in the 15th century, and finally ended the domination of the English in that war and in France. Essentially, though, there had been no changes in tactics worthy of note. However, in the 15th century, the Bohemians (among others in Europe) became master makers of hand-held firearms, and when their religious hero Jan Hus was tricked by church leaders, and burned at the stake as a heretic, they rebelled against the Austrian masters, and for the first time in history, a force which relied almost exclusively on firearms dependably and repeatedly defeated those who attacked them. Those fights, though, were in rough country, and the Hussites would travel about in wagon trains, and would circle the wagons and shoot down their opponents when the Austrians attempted to attack them.

But in the 16th century, the revolt of the Dutch began, and they fought the Spanish for more than 80 years to secure their independence (i won't go into an explanation of why Spain then owned Holland), and things changed radically late in the 16th century. The spirit and great leader of the rebellion was William of Nassau, William the Silent. But he was assassinated in 1584, and his son Maurice, although lacking authority, began to organize the rebellion, and became its true leader, even when other men were given the command of the armies which fought the Spanish. The Dutch frequently hired German, English and Scots troops to fight the battles, which usually meant that German, English or Scots officers commanded the troops. Maurice read extensively on military theory, especially siege theory, and applied what he read in real life, on the campaign, and on the field of battle. Holland is hardly a country where cavalry would be trained and used, but Maurice created an effective Dutch cavalry, and a tradition which would last the Dutch right through the Napoleonic wars more than 200 years later. Still, Maurice, despite his reforms to make the infantry effective and reliable, instituted no innovations in tactical practice. But he did one thing which stunned Europe and heralded a new age of warfare. He stopped the attack of Spanish heavy cavalry with an infantry line, using firearms alone. It was unheard of, and in fact, was discounted by many at the time as a fluke. I can't give you a specific date at the moment, but it would have been in the 1580s or -90s.

What was more important than that, however, was that Maurice so impressed Gustav Vasa, that he hired Dutch officers to come to Sweden to instruct his officers and army, and sent Swedish officers to Holland to study and serve under Maurice. This only became important after Gustav Vasa was dead, though. He was the first king of the Vasa dynasty, and his successors ran into trouble almost immediately. Without going into the detail, the son of Gustav's third son became king in 1611, when he was just 17 years of age. That was Gustav Adolf, known to history as Gustavus Adolphus. I could write pages about him, but i will only take notice here that his "pure" Swedish army (the army before it became a majority of German levies) was trained to a standard and a tactical practice which was unknown in Europe in the 17th Century. At the time the opening phases of the Thirty Years War (1618-1648) was being fought, Gustav Adolf was fighting his uncle in Poland. Unfortunately, there are no good records of his campaigns, or how he fought there--we only know that the contest swayed back and forth, but that Gustav eventually defeated the Poles and his uncle (their elected king), even though he was fighting far from home and was usually outnumbered.

In 1630, however, he landed his army in northern Germany, and was come as the defender of German Protestants. There he burst upon the European military scene like a shell exploding in the dark night. His strategic sense was sound, and his initial actions were to secure his base, and to seek allies, or to frighten anyone in his path who might betray him. The main Imperial commander, Count Tilly was marching toward the north, and had arrived in Saxony in the spring of 1631, where Gustav Adolf met him with an army comprised of the Swedes, and Saxons who had been sent along with him by their reluctant Duke. As with almost all battles since time immemorial, the two armies lined up facing one another in parallel order. The Imperialists had a wooded ridge on their right, so almost all of the cavalry was put on their left flank, under the command of Gottfried Graf zu Pappenheim, a talented but mercurial Imperial officer. The Imperialists and the troops of the Catholic League were placed in huge blocks--in those days, a regiment (1500 men at full strength) would usually form in a solid block, fifty men wide and thirty men deep. But Tilly had the habit of putting many regiments together, with ten thousand men in each formation, 200 men wide and 50 men deep. They relied primarily on the pike (a long spear-like weapon, from 10 to 16 feet long, which a huge, ugly combination spear-head and ax at the business end), with some men using firearms on the flanks.

The Swedes lined up in a formation which the Imperialists did not understand, and which they viewed with contempt. When Maurice had broken the charge of the Spanish cavalry, his men were lined up ten men deep. But Gustav had modified this further (possibly from his experience campaigning in Poland), and he spread his army out in a long, thin line, with battalions of about 600 men in three lines, and relying upon muskets and short swords. In the intervals between the formations were light field guns which were placed to create a crossfire on any attacker in front of the line. Small detachments of cavalry stood behind and supported the guns, and although the bulk of the cavalry was on the Swedish right flank (facing Pappenheim), they were not in a huge solid block like the Imperialists, and a large amount of the cavalry was posted in small groups behind the center of the line.

In contempt, Pappenheim, against the orders of Count Tilly, launched his massive block of cavalry at the thin lines of Swedish horse. Their sheer momentum pretty well guaranteed initial success, but they were galled as they advanced by the fire of the small guns placed between the Swedish battalions, and as they drew near the Swedish cavalry, the nearby Swedish infantry battalions wheeled and poured a heavy fire of musketry into them. Pappenheim was sure that he was driving the Swedish horse, but in fact, they were running away by policy. Cavalry doesn't attack at a gallop, as they show it in the movies (until the Prussians did it a century later, but that's another tale), but usually start at a walk and work up to a trot, and come in for the kill at a canter. Nonetheless, this wears out the horses, and disorganizes the line. The Swedes retreated until Pappenheim's troopers were well and truly disorganized, at which point they turned, and supported by the reserves from the center, launched a counterattack which put the Imperial cavalry to a flight. They were severely punished on their way back to their own lines by the fire of the Swedish infantry and the small guns, too.

This was all too much for the Saxons, though, and they promptly ran for Dresden as fast as their fat little legs would carry them. It would appear that Tilly had the advantage. He had about 35,000 troops over all, and Gustav now had less than 24,000. But several factors have to be taken into account. Pappenheim's foolishness had cost Tilly the use of most of his horse, since they were worthless for the rest of the day, and had suffered badly from the Swedish small arms and artillery fire. On the other hand, the Swedish cavalry was largely unhurt, and had quickly returned to their starting positions, and were there to continue to protect the Swedish right flank. The desertion of the Saxons probably actually helped Gustav, because they weren't in the way any longer.

Tilly couldn't use the small cavalry force on his right, because they would have become disorganized attempting to cross the wooded ridges, so he threw his huge blocks of infantry into the gap where the Saxons had been, and then stopped them cold, so that they could turn about and reform, facing the Swedish left flank. The only problem with that was that the Swedish left flank wasn't there any longer. As the Imperialists were marching up, Gustav had drawn in his line, wheeled his battalions (easy to do because they were in small groups), and Tilly was now facing the bulk of Gustav's army, unhurt, and "un-fatigued." The attempted Imperialist attack turned into a disaster. The Swedes were using muskets, an innovation which was lighter and fired faster and more accurately than the firearms in common use up to that time. Tilly had quite a few musketeers himself, but they were on the flanks of his huge blocks of pikemen, and he had to stop the entire affair so that they could go to the front to fire--meanwhile, the Swedes were pouring in the musketry, and the small field guns in the intervals of the battalions were throwing solid shot into ranks 50 men deep, and were killing and mangling hundreds every minute. To "sweeten" the pie, the Swedish horse, now unthreatened, lead an attack on the Imperial artillery, knocking them out of the fight, and turning many of the guns on Tilly's huge blocks of infantry. The Imperialists broke before they could come "to the push of the pike." And that was the battle of Breitenfeld, near Leipsic.

Battles continued to be fought in parallel order, even by the Swedes. But a new sense of mobility, and the use of combined arms (infantry working in cooperation with cavalry and artillery) was introduced. Most of western Europe had thought little of the Swedes and the King before this battle--and even afterward, they didn't understand what had happened to Tilly. Many military observers had considered it a fluke. But some people paid attention, and new ideas began to circulate in European military circles. They would be applied, piecemeal, here and there in the wars which succeeded the death of Gustav (he was killed at the Battle of Lützen the following year, a few miles from the scene of his first great triumph), but it would not be until just before the French Revolution that any army would devise an entirely new system of tactical, organizational and operational method, when the French army was reorganized following the American Revolution.

That, of course, would take pages and pages more to explain. It is worth noting that both Clausewitz and Napoleon both considered him to be one of the greatest military commanders of all time.

this one right here.
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 09:46 pm
alright, took me a while to put this one together. Those of you that think the man wasn't the man - would Jesus have done his thing otherwise? Would Aristotle have done his thing if Spartans hadn't held Thermoplyae? The hell he wouldn't have - Athens moved in ad started a golden age when Sparta was worn out. What part of our understanding of military strategy predates that? Alexander was the batshit crazy spark of all that is right and good in western civilization.

The folks what say different, I'm forming an image, this civic hero thing where the best one can do is enjoy oneself in harmony with something or other and no individual makes it alone. It's a pretty picture, and it makes it OK that you wear a tie and drive a 4-cylinder maybe - but come on, there's a lot of presupposition there. Someone can make it all the way, by his or her own hand now and then - it just ain't you.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 05:16 am
That was an incredible mish-mash of historical non sequitur, and resentful personal philosophy. What is there about someone who doesn't agree with you on the subject of Alexander III of Macedon which tells you how they dress or what they drive?

The boy called "Jesus," if he ever actually existed, for which there is no solid, reliable historical evidence, was concerned with Judaism and the "lawful" (lawful in the sense of acceptable to Mosaic law) practice of the religion with a due regard for one's fellows. There is nothing about the establishment of petty Greco-Macedonian kingdom's in the wake of the collapse of Alexander's "empire" which either promoted such a discussion within Judaism, nor which would have hindered it.

Serious military scholars know that the Spartans did not hold the pass at Thermopylae alone, there were more than 1200 other Greeks who didn't happen to be under the command of Leonidas, and so got left out when the Lacedaemonians started bragging about how heroic it is to die pointlessly. Serious scholars of military history also understand that holding the pass at Thermopylae had no significant effect no the naval battle of Salamis, which was the key to the failure of the Persian campaign. Finally, the history of Persian hegemony in Asia Minor makes it clear that even a Persian victory in Greece would not have been any reason to assume that Aristotle could not have "done his thing."

"Athens moved in ad started a golden age when Sparta was worn out." I'm uncertain what this is suppposed to mean, however, i'd point out to you that the "golden age" of Athens in the sense of students of history came before she was defeated by the Lacedaemonians in the Peloponnesian war. I suggest to you that you are somewhat confused about the sequence of events in that period.

The claim that Alexander was some kind of spark for western civilization is delusional. It is charming, though, to read the contempt you express for people who disagree with you, and how you attempt to tie it into some warped, conservative view of the rugged individualist.

Basically, i'm lead to conclude that you don't know squat, but that you admire someone who can kick ass in a fight. Alexander certainly loved to hack people up with a sword--he liked that almost as much as he liked to f*ck his buddies where the sun don't shine. There is absolutely no reason to assume, based on the available evidence, that he was any kind of military genius, or that he introduced any new concepts of military practice or of civil governance into the world.
0 Replies